PDA

View Full Version : zd30 oil pressure?

rookiepatroller
14th April 2014, 09:08 PM
Another problem with the GU. Driving to work today, changed from 1st to 2nd and I hear a sound like a turbo blow off, then the oil light comes on. Get out check under the car and there is oil everywhere, approximately lost 0.5L. Found a hose to the oil pressure switch not connected and put it back on. Tow it home this afternoon, degrease, top up oil. Strip down everything surrounding the belt to try and identify where the oil came from and can't find anything. Ran it for about 5 mins to warm up the oil and I still can't see any leaks, oil light is still on. There is also now a new noise coming from the top end (i assume) somewhere, sounds like a high pitch tick. Ive been over the manual and it doesn't look like it could be anything obvious.

Im worried theres an oil pressure problem.

Can anyone shed any light on this for me at all? At this point with the turbo going then 5th gear going and now this problem I'm getting over it and would really appreciate any advice.

Thanks

Dales300exc
14th April 2014, 09:25 PM
With the light coming on. I would not have refired until you have a gauge on it. The top end tick is probably because it legit has no oil pressure. 5 minutes with no oil pressure will have close on ruined it.

Get a gauge on it. ASAP

Rickie3
15th April 2014, 08:44 AM
How long have you owned the patrol?

Found a hose to the oil pressure switch not connected and put it back on.
I certainly wouldnt have ran it that long, if the oil light didnt go out in the first few seconds of starting you should have shut it down.

Ran it for about 5 mins to warm up the oil and I still can't see any leaks, oil light is still on.

There is also now a new noise coming from the top end (i assume) somewhere, sounds like a high pitch tick
My guess is the cam shaft and rocker gear running dry has caused damage.
I would say your oil pump has either a blockage or has failed, I seen first hand where a mechanic had used high grade red silicone to seal the sump gasket and had used excessive amount of sealer and the silicone had worked its way through and blocked the journels and destroyed the engine, i'd be checking the oil pump first

threedogs
15th April 2014, 09:47 AM
a GU what ???

love ke70
15th April 2014, 09:08 PM
5 minutes without oil pressure is a long time.
but at idle I think you would be safe.
I reckon its probably shit a relief valve, so its all doing what it should, but just bypassing out the relief. Have had this happen on a fresh rebuild, rather frustrating.

DO NOT run it until you can get an accurate oil pressure reading.