PDA

View Full Version : Engine Cut out.

NewDan
13th April 2014, 03:50 PM
Hey all, having problems with my ZD30, its going into mechanic in a few weeks but just trying to get things sorted in my mind before I do.

Since I have bought it I have done 13,000ks over 6 months. 3 times the accelerator has gone limp, Ive coasted to a stop and the engine has then cut out. It starts again easily and keeps going.

I thought it was part of the accelerator recall issue, but I've had that done, and even taken it back to Nissan to have it checked again.

While it was at Nissan they downloaded two fault codes: P0093 Fuel leak and P1089 Fuel pump.

My question is: If it was a buggered fuel pump, wouldn't it happen all the time not just 3 times over 6 months.

Funny thing is, 2 of the three time it happened at exactly the same spot in Melbourne and the other time was a similar spot. (All just shortly after high speed round abouts).

I thought maybe it was something to do with putting the foot down but normally it sits on 3500rpm up hills all day without a problem.

Have a DP chip tuned to 5, 3" exhaust and cross country intercooler.

Any Ideas,

Thanks,
Dan

Avo
13th April 2014, 04:26 PM
I see you have an auto mate,somewhere I was reading about people who have put there foot on the brake and the excellorator at ther same time making it go into limp mode..did read it here maybe you could find it..Cannot remember the outcome of it but the thread may provide some answers.

good luck.

Avo
13th April 2014, 04:29 PM
try this for a read through mate,short but a few hints. http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?26247-JAYDEE-Engine-shut-down&highlight=limp+mode

NewDan
13th April 2014, 04:37 PM
Thanks wa 489, I'm thinking mines a bit different cause the engine doesn't just cut out, the accelerator goes first then cut out. I've heard navars's have a different type of limp mode in some situation, engine will only idle and give you one minute to pull over before shutting down. Don't know if the patrols have this but it sounds similar, Also heard of a problem a bit like mine with a chip-it chip and the pressure relief valve, but mines a DP chip
Dan

threedogs
13th April 2014, 05:12 PM
yeah it confused the ECU with one part saying stop and the other trying to accelerate.
The ECU gets confused and goes into limp mode, Disconnect your battery for 1/2 an hour

NewDan
15th April 2014, 10:33 AM
Thanks Guys, I've tried the battery disconnect with no luck, I think the auto's are different with the brakes vs accelerator thing as I've driven with foot on brake and accelerator before with no ill effect.
Dan

nipagu7
15th April 2014, 07:10 PM
hi dan . I notice you have a dawes valve but do you have a needle valve also . if not the boost may be coming on to quickly and spiking enough under some conditions to put the car into limp mode . also , maybe if the chip is turned up to high it may be contributing to the problem .

NewDan
16th April 2014, 01:55 AM
Hey nipagu7, not sure exactly what a needle valve does, but my boost comes on very quickly, when I put my foot down the needle on the boost gauge does fly up very high but have not ever seen it go above 14psi
The DP chip is set at 5, I hear with the bigger intercooler and exhaust that is not very high.
Dan

mudski
17th April 2014, 11:40 PM
Its not limp mode thats for sure if its actually cutting out and stopping. I would be checking for wet spots around the fuel filter, injector pump and all injector lines. Make sure nothing is leaking. Also tighten up all clamps on the fuel lines. Change the fuel filter too. Not a hard job to do. Atleast you can eliminate this if it doesn't fix it.

nipagu7
18th April 2014, 10:29 AM
the needle valve is an adjustable valve that allows you to control how fast or slow the boost comes on . I think that just about everyone who has a dawes valve would have one . if you do a search you will find heaps of posts about the subject . some people seem to be able to do without the dawes and needle valves on the common rail motors by adjusting the VNT control arm on the turbo , there is some info on this in some posts as well . but I would be careful doing that until you had really got your head around it .

NewDan
26th April 2014, 10:45 AM
Thanks guys will check on that stuff, just did a 2000k run without it skipping a beat, but I know its still there cause these things don't fix themselves. I think its definatly the ecu cutting the motor cause it always give me a little while to pull over. As long as I get it sorted before tackling the simmo next year should be good.
Dan

threedogs
26th April 2014, 12:46 PM
Swap your ECU relay with your aircon relay and see if that makes a difference

NewDan
27th April 2014, 09:39 AM
Hey threedogs, yeah I did that, I just went out and bought another relay, it fixed some other problems I had been having but not this problem.

terra_australis
15th December 2015, 08:35 PM
Resurrecting an extinct thread here I know but I'm curious if you ever got to the bottom of this? My Patrol has intermittently shown similar symptoms in very similar circumstances.
Generally happens when starting stationary at a roundabout, then giving it a bit of pedal to sneak in before the next car comes round... hits about 2500rpm then the whole car jerks and accelerator goes unresponsive for a couple of seconds. I take my foot of and gently ease back on and everything is fine again. I haven't ever had it cut out completely afterward. Anyway, after not happening for a couple of months, I got it again today. My scan tool gave me P0087 which apparently means low fuel rail pressure. I can understand the effect, just not the cause. I guess I'll quiz the mechanic when I take it in for a service.

HV2002
17th December 2015, 12:17 AM
Hi terra sounds like you have classic limp mode do you have a boost gauge fitted

GeeYou8
19th December 2015, 10:07 AM
The common element seems to be the roundabout.
Is it something to do with turn left, then turn right, pretty similar to what you do to demonstrate electronic stability control (I got to shred some tyres at a Holden performance drive day).
Or fuel surge?
Graham

terra_australis
20th December 2015, 10:25 PM
No boost gauge...yet. That and EGT gauge are next on the list of additions.

I picked up some things to check from another thread so I'll start there.

I know what you mean about the ESC but that effect is much more subtle, besides it gave me the fuel pressure error code and I would expect it wouldn't log that if it were the ESC.

mudski
20th December 2015, 10:42 PM
Resurrecting an extinct thread here I know but I'm curious if you ever got to the bottom of this? My Patrol has intermittently shown similar symptoms in very similar circumstances.
Generally happens when starting stationary at a roundabout, then giving it a bit of pedal to sneak in before the next car comes round... hits about 2500rpm then the whole car jerks and accelerator goes unresponsive for a couple of seconds. I take my foot of and gently ease back on and everything is fine again. I haven't ever had it cut out completely afterward. Anyway, after not happening for a couple of months, I got it again today. My scan tool gave me P0087 which apparently means low fuel rail pressure. I can understand the effect, just not the cause. I guess I'll quiz the mechanic when I take it in for a service.
There is a pressure switch on the end of the fuel rail. It can fail. If you go to nissan you havr to buy the complete fuel rail. Theres a few mobs of eBay who sell the switch, its made by bosch btw.
It could well just be this switch....

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

terra_australis
25th December 2015, 05:54 PM
Yeah, that's what I was reading about. The car is still under warranty so if it is that at fault, the dealer can sort it out.

Erad2008
15th January 2024, 10:38 PM
Did you ever sort out this problem? If so what was it as I also have same 2 codes. Cheers.

BillsGU
16th January 2024, 09:08 AM
Did you ever sort out this problem? If so what was it as I also have same 2 codes. Cheers.

As the previous post was over 8 years ago - you may not receive an answer. It is a pain when people solve a problem and never post the answer, especially when other members have taken the time and effort to try and assist.