PDA

View Full Version : Lost keys

macca86
13th April 2014, 09:45 AM
So I've lost my keys searched everywhere and came to the conclusion that they fell off the ring and someone may have picked them up. My wallet is in the vehicle but I have full comp insurance so not worried if it's stolen just a pita.
Question is what do I do next? I have no spare. Do I call a locksmith or will my racq membership be able to cone out cuta key and get around the transponder key?

Winnie
13th April 2014, 09:47 AM
If racq is the same as racv they'll sort you out.

macca86
13th April 2014, 09:57 AM
They are the same thing. Might give them a call tomorrow just in case they turn up

TPC
13th April 2014, 10:02 AM
What year Patrol do you have?

macca86
13th April 2014, 10:39 AM
2000 gu dx

MudRunnerTD
13th April 2014, 11:03 AM
RACQ will be able to get into your car no problem but they won't cut you a new key. Is it just the ignition key you have lost or your house keys etc?

Your car insurance may well cover lost keys??? Make the call today. Alternatively your Home and Contents insurance may have a Keys coverage.

Either way, your up for a new ignition barrel and door locks barrel I reckon. Would be great if your insurance covered the cost of that

Bugger

macca86
13th April 2014, 11:15 AM
Yeah just car key have all my other keys that's why I'm pissed they fell off went to go to the shops grabbed my keys walked to the car then looked like a goose looking for keys.

Avo
13th April 2014, 03:35 PM
I lost my keys once,luckily across the road from a car dealership..the bloke came over with a big tub of keys from that model car and we just went through them until we found the one that unlocked the doors.Or maybe you can ring someone with the vin and hopefully they might be able to help.?good luck

Yendor
13th April 2014, 04:44 PM
The RACQ will be able to open the vehicle if you already haven't done that with a coat hanger.

They won't be able to bypass the NATS. Nor will a locksmith, they need a working transponder to copy.

To the best of my knowledge only a Nissan dealer can program a new transponder (without a working one).

I would be going through insurance. All your locks will need to be recoded and possibly the immobiliser unit replaced if the code can't be changed.

gaddy
13th April 2014, 07:52 PM
I don't know if this guy can help , he helped me out with reprogramming 1 of my remotes yesterday for a aftermarket imobliser , that has a rolling code he specialized in automotive diagnostic key programming , he is at capalapa ph 0437 831 110 Roy is his name , I don't understand how it all works but he my be able to help .

Gaddy

TPC
13th April 2014, 10:24 PM
The RACQ will be able to open the vehicle if you already haven't done that with a coat hanger.

They won't be able to bypass the NATS. Nor will a locksmith, they need a working transponder to copy.

To the best of my knowledge only a Nissan dealer can program a new transponder (without a working one).

I would be going through insurance. All your locks will need to be recoded and possibly the immobiliser unit replaced if the code can't be changed.
I got a new key from Nissan last year and they told me they reprogram the immobiliser to suit the transponders.
That is on the later models, not sure about the pre 2006 system as they changed the NATS.

macca86
13th April 2014, 10:28 PM
Still can't find the key but car is not stolen yet so whoever picked the key up has dropped it at the cop shop I hope or it's in the grass on the walk to the back door

menace 2
13th April 2014, 10:34 PM
With something like this that can potentially cause so much trouble and cost....how can you not have a second key ??

Yendor
13th April 2014, 10:39 PM
I got a new key from Nissan last year and they told me they reprogram the immobiliser to suit the transponders.
That is on the later models, not sure about the pre 2006 system as they changed the NATS.

That's correct the vehicle learns the signal from the transponder. NATS needs to be turned off.

I just not sure what happens with the transponder in the lost key. If this one can be erased or not?

TPC
13th April 2014, 10:46 PM
That's correct the vehicle learns the signal from the transponder. NATS needs to be turned off.

I just not sure what happens with the transponder in the lost key. If this one can be erased or not?

When they reprogram they erase all transponders that are associated to it and then reprogram them in.
They told me to bring any keys I had so they could reload them when they did the new key.
Guess that is a good thing as means a stolen key could not be used.

Yendor
13th April 2014, 10:54 PM
Yeah, that's means you only need to worry about the mechanical locks.

macca86
13th April 2014, 11:45 PM
Car never came with one never thought I'd loose it to lazy and cheap to buy a new one as a spare

menace 2
14th April 2014, 03:26 PM
Car never came with one never thought I'd loose it to lazy and cheap to buy a new one as a spare

yeh know where you are coming from...have been caught out myself way back in the past ...now...spares everywhere in case I lose spares or forget where they are !! lolol

MudRunnerTD
14th April 2014, 06:43 PM
So get a call from my dad,

"Son, just got home from your place and can't find my bloody keys! Had a nap on your couch today and think I left them on the table, can you have a look"

"Sure dad, ya Dill, what did they look like? Where do you think they are?"

" they have a green tag."

" nup not here,"

"Damn!"

" so why did you take them out of your pocket dad? You should have left them in your car!"

" no no, they are on a lanyard and I hang them around my neck. Oh wait, found them!"

"Where are they Dad?"

"Around my Neck!"

"Um....... Say that out loud again Dad just so we are clear"

"My keys are hanging around my neck... Fark off son"

Happy days! He is getting old!

Alitis007
14th April 2014, 10:45 PM
If you call a reputable locksmith who is registered and give them your vin number they can type it into a web site and they can get the numbers for how deep each groove needs to be for the new key.

When you re code a new key, all previous key codes are erased thats why you need to have all keys present when you code a new chipped key to your NATS, at the end of the procedure you have a 5 second window to add a new key after each key is coded . If for any reason you find your old key after you code a new one the car will start then stall a couple of times then just keep cranking but wont start. It happened to me, when i got my rig it only had 1 key so i had another cut for spare but only coded the new one, when i went to use the old one it started doing what i just said so i had to re code them both my scanner

macca86
15th April 2014, 12:29 PM
Went to my local locksmith 200m down the road with my vin. He cut me a key that got me into my car for free and quoted 480-580 to cut 2 new keys and reprogram the whole system so that if someone found my old key they could unlock the doors but not start the car. Should be sorted tomorrow. My insurance excess is 600 bucks so cash it is

macca86
15th April 2014, 03:10 PM
All sorted they did it today. 2x programmed keys plus a standard silver key for locks only $505 inc gst so happy it's fixed for reasonable coin but still pissed it happened. If someone finds the old key they could gain access to the car but not start it as they changed the codes