PDA

View Full Version : Help. No dash or tail lights

Nissan cedric
12th April 2014, 09:59 PM
Hello to all ...

I am hoping someone can assit with my problem(s) re the dash and tail lights on my 1990 RB30 patrol.

Basically I have no dash lights or tail lights (including reversing lights)!

The fuse are ok! all warning/indicator lights (indicators, park brake light, high beam, 4x4 wheel indicator light etc work ok, but there is no illumination in the dash nor do any of the tail lights operate. The brakes lights work when the peddle is depressed.

So please where do I start?

MudRunnerTD
12th April 2014, 10:36 PM
Do the front Parker lights work.

I'd check your fuse again for a start. Even swap it out with another just to confirm (cheap)

Also put it in reverse with the ignition on ut engine off and check with a multi meter that you have not got 12v at the globe. I believe the reverse light is a separate circuit??? Maybe not though? Everything else is on the same fuse so I'd start there mate.

BigRAWesty
13th April 2014, 06:57 AM
Do both head lights work?

Matty852
13th April 2014, 09:47 AM
Have a look at the actual fuse connections as well, I had some dramas with mine, I pulled the fuse and it looked fine and I didn't notice that the connections in the fuse block were all old and corroded

Nissan cedric
13th April 2014, 02:30 PM
Yes both work. And so does the high beam. No parking lights though

Nissan cedric
13th April 2014, 02:30 PM
Ta will try that. The fuse looks good. But did not think to check the connections

Nissan cedric
13th April 2014, 02:31 PM
Ta will try that

Nissan cedric
13th April 2014, 02:39 PM
Hi matty852. Tried and still nothing

MudRunnerTD
13th April 2014, 02:51 PM
Have you got a Multi meter? If so take out the fuse and turn the lights on and see if you have 12v at the fuse holder? If you do then you know which side of the fuse your problem is. Just take an earth off the body and test the cues holder for current both sides. You will have 12v on one side only.

threedogs
13th April 2014, 03:22 PM
If you still have OE globes then the chances are the lead on the connector is worn, sometimes when you hit the lens the globe will light up.
To remedy the problem fit new globes.
check all earths as well

Yendor
13th April 2014, 05:31 PM
Which fuse are you checking for the tail lights?

Have you checked/replaced the reverse light bulb?

Nissan cedric
16th April 2014, 08:24 AM
All...

I have done as suggested, I now have super clean contact in the fuse box and new fuses (just to be sure). I have used a meter and the problem appears to the the switch in the indicator/light box on the dash, obtained another and will put in today. Hopefully that's the problem. Again many thanks to all for your advice

Nissan Cedric

Nissan cedric
16th April 2014, 08:28 PM
All...

All fixed new switch (2nd hand from a wrecker). All lights working. Again thank you to all

PandPP
11th May 2014, 08:03 AM
Cedric,

Which switch did you end up replacing?

I had this very issue last night myself. It's usually the fuse, related to some dodgy wiring on a couple of trailers we use, but, no amount of fuse changing fixed it this time.

Thanks.