PDA

View Full Version : Uhf and stereo wiring gu4

Limmy
10th April 2014, 08:53 PM
Hi guys

2005 GU4

Need some advice
Taking out the stocky double din stereo .

I want to install my UHF radio and aftermarket head unit . I want to run to to direct power and not the acc .

1. Can I share the same RED wire ( constant power ) with the aftermarket headunit ?
2. Which is best place to run earth wire?
3. I've read somewhere I may need to get antenna extention. is this true
4. 43146this is my headunit . Theres couple of harnesses on ebay , ive seen a few in autobarn ( Aeropro brand ) . Are they perfect fit ?

thanks guys :)

TPC
10th April 2014, 09:36 PM
Not sure what you mean by sharing the red wire, you cannot use it for the UHF, run the power for that back to the battery.
Run the earth wire to an earth point close to the battery.
You will need a antenna adaptor like this- http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/like/150884143623?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=107 (http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/705-53470-19255-0/1?campid=5336709507&toolid=10001&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com.au%2Fitm%2Flike%2F1 50884143623%3Flimghlpsr%3Dtrue%26amp%3Bhlpv%3D2%26 amp%3Bops%3Dtrue%26amp%3Bviphx%3D1%26amp%3Bhlpht%3 Dtrue%26amp%3Blpid%3D107)
You should be able to get a wiring adaptor that will do the job, just get one that says it adapts from Nissan Patrol to what ever plugs the new stereo has, possibly ISO.

the evil twin
10th April 2014, 11:23 PM
Hi guys

2005 GU4

Need some advice
Taking out the stocky double din stereo .

I want to install my UHF radio and aftermarket head unit . I want to run to to direct power and not the acc .

1. Can I share the same RED wire ( constant power ) with the aftermarket headunit ?
2. Which is best place to run earth wire?
3. I've read somewhere I may need to get antenna extention. is this true
4. 43146this is my headunit . Theres couple of harnesses on ebay , ive seen a few in autobarn ( Aeropro brand ) . Are they perfect fit ?

thanks guys :)

1. Yes, UHF draws less than 1 amp on transmit and bugger all power on recieve but coming off the cig lighter is better. Disregard if you are using a high power CB (illegal but many do, mine will do up to 35 watts RF power) and run a dedicated feed

2. When you pull the head unit out there are several spots you can earth too including the screws that hold the brackets into the dash

3. For what the Head Unit or the CB?
I've not had to use an extension on either but you can break into the Nissan factory antenna feed over near the pax footwell so maybe someone means that instead of buying a diversity adapter

4. I keep getting the part numbers mixed up for Aerpro so won't mention them here but...

The Aerpro "Nissan Patrol to Iso adapter 1985 onwards" fits the MQ's, early GU wagons and all GU Utes until 2000 something. It has one plug on the Nissan end
The Aerpro "Nissan Patrol to Iso adapter 1995 onwards" fits all Wagons and most late model Utes depending on the factory options and for some reason a few earlier than '95 wagons. It has two plugs on the Nissan end.
The Aerpro "Nissan Patrol Diversity Antenna Adapter" is needed for any Wagons (don't know about Utes) with the dual antennas (mast in the guard and copper in teh rear LH window). The other alternative is to find the junction in the pax footwell and disconnect the mast antenna there and run it to your new head unit.

If you don't have a diversity antenna system then the antenna lead will plug straight in to your head unit.

If you have a proprietary head unit Aerpro make adapters for "Head Unit to Iso" that will then plug into your "Patrol to Iso"

Max cost if you need all three adapters (which you usually don't) is less than $40

You may need to connect the "adapter cable" earth to the vehicle earth. Just check if the black wires line up in the plugs. If they don't you need the extra earth.

megatexture
10th April 2014, 11:53 PM
if it was me id be keeping them both on separate power feed also so to make sure you get no possible interference between the two

the evil twin
11th April 2014, 12:19 AM
if it was me id be keeping them both on separate power feed also so to make sure you get no possible interference between the two

Can if you want to but it won't necessarily do anything unless you run from a seperate source (2nd Bat/DCDC supply/Power Filter/etc) otherwise all power is common anyway.
Happily admit that I run legal power CB off the Ciggy plug 99% of the time tho.
If you have a device putting interference back onto the supply it will be on all the 12 volt supply and then you need a power filter.

If you have RF interference or an earth loop (both of which can be a cast iron bitch to fix) then it becomes a PIA to find and moving the power can appear to fix the issue

Either way no biggee...

my third 256
11th April 2014, 08:22 AM
and this is what it will end up like
43153[ATTACH=CONFIG]43154

megatexture
11th April 2014, 09:46 AM
Can if you want to but it won't necessarily do anything unless you run from a seperate source (2nd Bat/DCDC supply/Power Filter/etc) otherwise all power is common anyway.
Happily admit that I run legal power CB off the Ciggy plug 99% of the time tho.
If you have a device putting interference back onto the supply it will be on all the 12 volt supply and then you need a power filter.

If you have RF interference or an earth loop (both of which can be a cast iron bitch to fix) then it becomes a PIA to find and moving the power can appear to fix the issue

Either way no biggee...

Yep mine are off different batteries

Limmy
11th April 2014, 08:08 PM
What is difference from Legal and illegal power cb ?
mines an oricom 80 channel uhf

TPC
11th April 2014, 08:23 PM
CB is licenced to 5w maximum TX power, some people get commercial radios and program CB frequencies in and run 25w TX power.
It is a dumb thing to do as you will transmit further but the other radio you are talking to you will probably be at 5w and not be able to talk back to you.

megatexture
11th April 2014, 08:25 PM
5 watt is legal and there is a commercial strength that requires a licencei think that is like 25watt? i think but if you buy from china you could get a 50watt

the evil twin
11th April 2014, 10:13 PM

All manufacturers make their radio sets suitable for a frequency range, lets say ABC Company makes one that will hypothetically work on any frequency between 400 to 500 Mhz.
All countries around the world divvy up "their" bands differently EG Australia has divided up its frequency spectrum so that the public CB band where only the radios need a class licence and the users don't need one is 466 to 468 (roughly).
To give as many people as they can access and cause the least interference to each other the rules limit the transmit power in this CB useage to 5 watts
If you want to pay money for a licence and your own frequency you can legally transmit much higher power on your frequencies outside the CB band.

So, probably 75% of the manuf are like ABC and make a single model radio that will transmit higher power over wide bands and leave it up to the user (or techies) to program the power limits and channels.
Probably 25% or less are like Oricom, GME, Uniden and make an Australian CB specific radio that cannot be reprogrammed.

Therefore you end up with...
A) radios like your Oricom that will only do 5 watts, have a narrow frequency range. This keeps cost down.
B) legal approved radios that will cover a much wider band so they do the private channels and also higher power often called commercial. They therefore cost more and in Australia are required to be configured so that the User cannot change the power unless it is programmed by software by "authorised" techies.
This is the realm of Motorola, Icom, Tait, Kenwood etc and is why the Icom 400 is considered one of the greatest all time "CB" radios ever.
C) illegal radios similar to B but that can be changed to any power "out of the box". These are illegal in Australia now but abound on Ebay and are the Wouxun, Baofeng, Puxing
If you see a radio adverstised as CB it is usually only capable of CB frequencies and 5 watts (or less) power
If you see a radio advertised as UHF it is usually a B or C jobbie.

Probably a third to maybe half the users I know are running sets capable (I stress capable not necessarily transmitting) of higher than 5 Watts Tx power. My favourite brand is Wouxun and I have 3 of their sets for some years now that all perform very well and have yet to have a fault
Anyway... Because of this you need to watch the power wiring and where you grab it from.

Limmy
12th April 2014, 12:57 PM
guys this is awesome information ! I love this forum . thanks again

Im going right now to pick up a few bits n pieces. :)