PDA

View Full Version : Genuine nissan steel winch bar part

Eddo83
9th April 2014, 09:09 PM
I had been noticing a rattle coming from the bar on my 06 gu so tracked down where it was coming from and found 2 parts the same (one left one right) that had both broken from what appears to be metal fatigue. The parts are pieces of flat steel bar with a gold colour to them, about 25mmx3mm and probably 300mm long. They bolt on just above the fairlead and run back toward the chassis rail, one left and one right. My question is does anyone know what they are and what purpose they serve. They don't seem to be structural as they are very thin and flexible. I took them off and took them to nissan and after 3 days they still don't know what they are . I'm thinking maybe they have something to do with reducing vibration but really don't know. Ultimately I want to know if they are necessary or if I can just leave them off. Can anyone help?

Hodge
10th April 2014, 02:15 PM
Gday bud. Might be easier if you post a photo of the said part. That will improve chances of someone here identifying what it is. Cheers.

Sent from S4 Active using Forum Runner

threedogs
10th April 2014, 03:57 PM
could be part of the fitting kit for the bull bar
they are quite complex these days with air bag etc

Eddo83
10th April 2014, 06:11 PM
Well after 4 days of trying nissan can't even figure out what it is. Apparently it probably comes with the bull bar and cant be ordered separately but honestly they had about as much of an idea as i did as to what it does! Anyway heres some pics. Would be great to know if anyone else has removed this part because it broke and if they just left it off. To me it can't be structural because it just isn't strong enough so am thinking I'll just leave it off, otherwise will have to find a steel manufacturer to make me up something.

Hodge
10th April 2014, 06:13 PM
Could it be an bonding/earthing device between that part of the winch and the body/chassis ??? Just a wild guess.