PDA

View Full Version : alternator fixed - file under 'hard to believe'

how1e
9th April 2014, 01:25 PM
i posted a while back about my alt problems.
broke down, RAC tested alt, not charging.
1st new alt overcharging
2nd new alt, still charging problems
3rd new alt, still charging problems
all this pointed to a fault in the sensor wiring, so it was booked into an auto electrician.
Autospark of osborne park ran tests and found the 3rd alt was also faulty.
4th new alt, fitted by Autospark performs correctly.

don't usually bag anyone, but after 3 faulty alt's, i will name the faulty alts as the Jaylec 65-3126 (just so anyone can be aware of faulty alts)
there must be a fault in the regulator dept.
the alt starts off fine, then in 8-15 minutes, gradually drops the charging voltage from 14.8v to nothing.
after 3 alts, you can imagine how everyone was thinking it was a faulty/high restistance sensing wire.

my mechanic is understandably embarrassed about 3 x 'bolt-on' parts being faulty but the fact remains i am out of pocket.
original cost of 1st alt (which i presume will be refunded)
testing of faulty alt by autospark (about $200)
fitting of new alt by autospark (about $600)
should i let the 3rd faulty alt out of my hands to the mechanic, or pursue some from of compensation from jaylec or their suppliers?

MudRunnerTD
9th April 2014, 02:13 PM
Bugger. I would have thought you'd pay the mechanic and the Auto Elec for a fitting each and not pay for the 3rd and then seek some rebate from the manufacturer for some of the loss.

Winnie
9th April 2014, 02:16 PM
Jaylec should be paying your bills. You should not be put out because of their faulty product, ask your mechanic for their rep's phone number.