PDA

View Full Version : Someone please clarify my stupidness.

MEGOMONSTER
8th April 2014, 11:10 PM
I've been told a diesel should never run out of fuel. Unlike a petrol you can fill and turn the key to start.
Is this true and why with a diesel.

growler2058
8th April 2014, 11:11 PM
Confirmed!!!!!!!!

MEGOMONSTER
8th April 2014, 11:11 PM
Confirmed!!!!!!!!
I edited the post to get a explanation.

growler2058
8th April 2014, 11:12 PM
You get air in the fuel system and it can be a bitch to bleed on older diesels.

growler2058
8th April 2014, 11:12 PM
I edited the post to get a explanation.

I was confirming the thread title :)

MEGOMONSTER
8th April 2014, 11:13 PM

What about newer diesels. Like my CRD

MEGOMONSTER
8th April 2014, 11:14 PM
I was confirming the thread title :)

Oooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhh.

Winnie
8th April 2014, 11:22 PM

Wouldn't you just bleed ti like you do when you change fuel filter?

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Forum Runner

TPC
8th April 2014, 11:26 PM
I ran out of diesel in my CRD the first week I had mine and it took me and the RAA bloke about 1 hr to get the car to run again.
I tried for ages myself pumping the primer bulb and starting and could not get it to run then rang the RAA and he would prime while I started and accelerated and eventually got it to run.
It is a PITA, never run out.

growler2058
9th April 2014, 12:03 AM
Wouldn't you just bleed ti like you do when you change fuel filter?

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Forum Runner

TD 42 is easy to do, crack the bleeder then prime away you go. But the CRD and CDI might be more of a bitch

MEGOMONSTER
28th October 2014, 08:47 PM
How do I know if my intercooler is leaking.
It's not whistling and I don't think I'm losing boost but there is some sort of substance around the hoses like "oil residue".

TPC
28th October 2014, 08:51 PM
It's not whistling and I don't think I'm losing boost but there is some sort of substance around the hoses like "oil residue".
I get the same thing, just thought it was normal.

Hodge
28th October 2014, 08:53 PM
Do not run out of fuel on the CRD. Potential to get air into the whole system, and if it gets into injectors that need to be cracked, the bill can be nasty.

MEGOMONSTER
28th October 2014, 08:59 PM
Do not run out of fuel on the CRD. Potential to get air into the whole system, and if it gets into injectors that need to be cracked, the bill can be nasty.

Thanks but I have an intercooler question now.
Pretty clear with everybody yelling at me not to run out of diesel. Lol

Clunk
28th October 2014, 09:06 PM
Hey Mego, don't run out of diesel mate, could get expensive :D;)

megatexture
28th October 2014, 10:20 PM
Prob just loose hose clamp

Shadow121111
28th October 2014, 11:55 PM
Glad we all know not to run out of diesel now

the evil twin
29th October 2014, 12:42 AM

It is oil residue and the pipes are leaking.
You won't usually notice boost loss on a VNT turbo unless the leak is big enough to max out the VNT actuator
It will only whistle if you have a significant leak or you flash your boobies.
Be warned tho, people flashing their engine bay have been known to appear on unauthorised Utube clips.

The japs deliberately designed the ZD30 to have excessive oil blowby so it makes it easy to see where any intercooler leaks are located and keeps sales of MAF cleaner ticking over.

Yes, yes, I know sarcasm is the last refuge of the imaginatively bankrupt but... Pfft... I'm 50% right, actually make that 75%

Oh, make sure you don't run out of Diesel.
Apparently it's even more catastrophic if you have an intercooler leak at the same time

MEGOMONSTER
29th October 2014, 04:42 AM
It is oil residue and the pipes are leaking. You won't usually notice boost loss on a VNT turbo unless the leak is big enough to max out the VNT actuator It will only whistle if you have a significant leak or you flash your boobies. Be warned tho, people flashing their engine bay have been known to appear on unauthorised Utube clips. The japs deliberately designed the ZD30 to have excessive oil blowby so it makes it easy to see where any intercooler leaks are located and keeps sales of MAF cleaner ticking over. Yes, yes, I know sarcasm is the last refuge of the imaginatively bankrupt but... Pfft... I'm 50% right, actually make that 75% Oh, make sure you don't run out of Diesel. Apparently it's even more catastrophic if you have an intercooler leak at the same time Thanx for the clarification.
Here, have a goat.

mudski
29th October 2014, 07:20 AM

Chuck a catch can on Mick. Unless you already have one...

threedogs
29th October 2014, 08:35 AM

You could remove it and pressure test it. not a really big job

megatexture
29th October 2014, 09:18 AM
if the oils around the hose not the core it would be a safe bet its the hose clamp though

the evil twin
29th October 2014, 10:34 AM
if the oils around the hose not the core it would be a safe bet its the hose clamp though

Yep, it isn't a major concern but I would try nipping up the hose clamps just a tad.
You usually won't find the leak at idle or no load as such because it will normally only weep under higher boost pressures.

The area to keep an eye on is where the plenums are attached to the heat exchanger core on the intercooler.
You will normally notice the residue starting at the corners but, again, a slight amount of residue seems normal for the ZD30.

Thanks for the goat.
I think I shall name him Diesel.

MEGOMONSTER
29th October 2014, 06:35 PM
Chuck a catch can on Mick. Unless you already have one...

Still on the to do list, do you stock them.

mudski
29th October 2014, 10:24 PM
Still on the to do list, do you stock them.

Yeah got'em mate.:thumbup:

MEGOMONSTER
29th October 2014, 10:28 PM
Yeah got'em mate.:thumbup:

Is a kit or just a can.
Can you PM price please

johno1938
1st November 2014, 11:49 AM
crd "s bleed them selves ay
just pump the primer up
then turn start only for 2 seconds
pump up primer again