PDA

View Full Version : revolution sensor location td42 silvertop?

davo82
7th April 2014, 08:35 PM
Hi there, I've just done the good old td42 conversion that I've been wanting to do for some years now and having a few electrical problems, but to start with I need to find the revolution sensor. (for tacho conversion) I have heard its on (or around) the timing cover but have never seen pins or a plug there, (I spent a few nights after work cleaning, painting, & fitting turbo but hey, I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed &might of missed something!) I'm also having trouble with the alternator wires shorting (well beep test to earth anyway) and was hoping this might be part of the same problem? I've spent some considerable time searching manuals and this site to no avail and was hoping some one here could point me in the right direction? any photos or diagrams would be awesome

things people might need to know:
the car was a tb42e auto when I got it but has since had a manual conversion
the loom I'm trying to use (I'm assured its td42 but possibly black top?) is not the correct one for the motor (only discovered this a couple of days ago) but I've got the lights, ignition or glow timer system and injector solenoid working
I really don't want to buy another loom as I've stripped the central locking, power windows & mirrors, integrated the two looms and installed it in the car
I am using the Dakota Digital SGI-8 rev.D signal interface unit for tacho conversion as I still have the tb42e cluster (same as found in TI models I believe) and need to find the tacho signal wire
there are 5 wires at my alternator and A/C, a black wire & an orange wire that plug into the alternator with plug, two black wires in sheaths (1 tests to + other to - at battery) & brown with blue trace (A/C possibly?) also if anyone could tell me what these wires do that would save me a big headache!
all parts (engine, turbo, loom, exhaust, tacho conversion, gauges) have been purchased from Patrolapart in Lilydale but would rather finish conversion myself (lost my job so cant afford to buy more parts unless I have to but more don't want to let it beat me!)
any help would be greatly appreciated (and if your local to lilydale happy to give beers for some advice)

Cheers, Dave

ricster
5th August 2014, 06:17 PM
Did you find the tacho sensor??.... I thought that the tacho got its signal from the gearbox

Dales300exc
5th August 2014, 07:27 PM
Silvertops had the sensor in the front on the timing case. If your looking at the front its just to the right of the centrline of the engine and runs on the cam gear. In attached picture you can see the hole (sensor not fitted) just to the right of the water pump.