PDA

View Full Version : Compressor questions

Cuppa
7th April 2014, 08:03 PM
Hi, when we moved house recently I scored a compressor which came with the house. It seems like a very solid, nice little unit, more portable than my V twin one.
I’m wondering if anyone can identify a couple of parts on it that I don’t have on my old one. In the pic below Number 1 is a metal box, with what looks like a push button on top. however the ‘button’ doesn’t really move & does nothing if I press it. What is this box, & what is the function of the button supposed to be?
The item numbered 2 is the screw affair on top of the water trap. My old compressor has never had a water trap, so I don’t really know what this screw is supposed to adjust. Can anyone enlighten me?

Thanks
Cuppa

nissannewby
7th April 2014, 08:21 PM
No.1 looks like another on/off switch like the one that is on the small black box. It could also be a breaker of some sort either thermal or over load.

No.2 looks like a regulator. Wind it out to lower the pressure delivered after it and wind it in to increase the pressure delivered. All compressors should have a regulator fitted they are handy. And most these days have the water trap built into them.

Figjam
7th April 2014, 10:28 PM
1 - overload reset
2 - pressure regulator and water trap

sil3nt_dr3ams
8th April 2014, 04:52 AM
Look like and overload switch mate,

Second is the adjuster for your pressure,

Water traps are handys things to have they keep the water out of your air tools and the water out of your paint when your praying.

threedogs
8th April 2014, 08:29 AM
looks like one my mate had years ago for spray painting ,thus the pressure regulator

Cuppa
8th April 2014, 08:45 AM
Thanks all, seems to be a concensus.

looks like one my mate had years ago for spray painting ,thus the pressure regulator

Has a brass plate on it, which iirc says Finsbury Compressors Australia, with what looks like a date in 1967. It's a solid unit, & much quieter than my v twin (Triton 900/VA65). The old fella we bought the house from used to restore old stationary motors. There was one here in my workshop when we first viewed the property with a very professional looking paint job. Have since found a few old papers which suggest he may have restored Indian motorcycles at some time too.

Bob
8th April 2014, 08:51 AM
Here you go Cuppa

http://www.finsburyair.com.au/

How is the new Ranch going ???

BTW you still have the Cod Record as I was not wearing my Forum Shirt when I caught the Big One

Cuppa
8th April 2014, 01:34 PM
How is the new Ranch going ???

Not bad really. Will be better when MrsTea joins me in another week or so. Am liking Ballarat, it's really growing on me as a town, & seems far friendlier than the Latrobe Valley. Have just finished rewiring my shed/workshop changing it from a dark & dingy 'cave' with one light & one power point to a well lit area with plenty more power points.

Before moving here the most common comment others made was about how cold Ballarat gets, but since moving here the majority of folk from elsewhere have commented what a great place the town is! Strange, perhaps they are just being kind. The view I took was that Ballarat couldn't have colder, wetter or windier weather than where we lived for the past 18 years. MrsTea is still there (at the neighbour's) & tells me about the weather ...... so far Ballarat is winning hands down!