PDA

View Full Version : what to look for when buying td42

shmick82
6th April 2014, 07:47 PM
Hi all,
Summary-love my jk wrangler but want to tour and cant trust that a jeep diesel breakdown can be fixed out back. Based on research, seems td42 is the go. Doesnt break down but if it does, can be fixed due to oldschool lack of electronics.
My questions are around reliability and repairability.
Regarding td42 gu, is any year prefered over another or are they same apart from interior/exterior?
Is the addition of ecu for injectors a big downside? Regarding ease of fixing?
Ideally id like a late model with low km, but pricey. Worth parting with 35k for a latet model with less than 200000 or are early 2000 with 300+km still good?
Additionally, is the post 2005 3l easy to fix in the bush? By a bush mechanic? Or are the new electronics just a recipe for disaster?
I am mostly concerned with reliabilty and ease to fix as u can tell. I dont want to be stuck in outback with a child and wife waiting for a tow to nearest capital as would be the case with the jeep crd.
Thanks

DilboBaggins
8th April 2014, 11:52 AM
The 4.2l is probably the best engine out of all of them, but most of them last up to easily 700,000km+ dont be scared or worried of one thats got over 300,00km just depends on how well they maintain it

nikko
15th April 2014, 10:29 AM
My '99 4.2 turbo GU wagon is stock standard and has just topped 395,000 klm. Engine is perfect, with original injectors. Just feed 'em clean fuel, clean oil, clean air and they will go forever.
Nikko