PDA

View Full Version : 2.8TD to a Brunswick 6.5L

Kano
6th April 2014, 10:00 AM
Hi,

Our 1999 GU 2.8TD patrol is just about to pass 300,000km. We recently did a road trip out from Alice Springs where I went to overtake a road train. (he was doing a 100km/h like normal) I moved to the other side of the road changed to 5th and put my foot down. I didn't even get passed the third trailer. So I came back in behind him.

There is nothing wrong with the body of the patrol and inside has been looked after well so we don't want to sell it.

I have been looking at a new engine. I have heard good reports about Brunswick diesels. The 6.5L chev comes with a new gear box, clutch, exhaust, radiator, 3.9 diff and more. The price I've found is around the $18,000 mark.

My question is will the 6.5L engine be a lot more power then I have had or would it be worth paying more to get the 6.5L with the turbo?

Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

oncedisturbed
6th April 2014, 10:09 AM
Speak to Gecko, he has the 6.5 in his troll and will able to answer your ?'s

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app

the evil twin
6th April 2014, 11:51 AM
The current price for a 6.5 Chev conversion at Brunswick is mid $30,000 depending on the Chevy engine varaiant and whether it is crate or reco.
Final price depends on what 'trade' they will allow for your engine.
You will save heaps on that if you do it yourself but it is a very big modification that needs to be done just right or you have no end of problems.

The 6.5 is not quick off the mark, my ZD30 CRD flogs my 6.5 Turbo Manual Ute however once the old girl gets her skirts hitched up and her butt in boogie mode she just keeps on going.
It may be different when I get the Ute back with the auto but I'll pay for it at the bowser however that is not why I bought her.

If you are looking at the decision from a budget perspective there are a lot of other alternatives for your money but because you have a nice donor vehicle it is well worth considering

Have a read here http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?25683-All-Things-Chev

Kano
6th April 2014, 12:24 PM
Thank you very much for your reply. $30,000 is prob a bit much then I wanted to spend but I'll have a look at some other options. I'm not looking for anything quick off the mark but just an engine that will get me up a hill a little easier and to overtake road trains with out being on the other side of the road all day. I'll have a look at the link you you added. Thanks again for your reply.

Kano
6th April 2014, 12:26 PM
I've posted this in the wrong place after reading the link. I'm happy for this to be moved or deleted if need be.

FNQGU
6th April 2014, 01:52 PM
Kano, the 6.5 is all about low down torque. For towing it is unreal. In the scrub it is also excellent. For overtaking, it will definitely pull and keep pulling but once you get to the 140kph mark it is starting to yell out a bit. By 150kph it is screaming. Loves to cruise on 95-110 and you won't have to change out of 5th to overtake that semi.

macca86
6th April 2014, 04:08 PM
If that's what you want and only want to spend say 15g then an ls1 or 2 and auto conversion would be the go that's my plans if my zd30 ever goes. Just get a long range fuel tank. Our 6 ltr 6 speed ss wagon does 15 ltr sper 100 pure city cbd driving in Brisbane and gets 11 per 100 highway I know the patrol would use mor fuel but great motor heaps of low tourqe and power to over take

lhurley
6th April 2014, 05:56 PM
For under $20k you would be able to put a td42 in

the evil twin
6th April 2014, 06:24 PM
For under $20k you would be able to put a td42 in

Yep, a TD42 would at least get to the second trailer :hpfredgeorge1:

Just joking... as I said before lots of options.

Kano
6th April 2014, 09:31 PM
Thanks everyone for your replies. Macca86 I am now looking into the Ls1 or 2 as this may be a good option. Would you know anywhere that could do this and source the engine for us?

The evil twin I did have a good laugh about your comment.

macca86
6th April 2014, 09:46 PM
I think kustom kabels or something like that can help you same with marks adaptors also try talking to your local mechanics. As fir motor wreckers ebay gumtree I'd love an l98 6.0 l with the 6 speed auto. That's in my wife's ve ss wagon

nissannewby
6th April 2014, 09:52 PM
Killa kustom cables on the Sunshine Coast.

krbrooking
6th April 2014, 10:29 PM
I am also looking into the same options for my 2.8. I got a quote for a Perth based company for the 6.5 for 36g +-, that included freighting there and back I think from memory. I got quoted 18g +- for the 4.2 turbo, so think I am going that way and I think if set up right the 4.2 will have around the same among of power. Like said before the 6.5 is slow off the mark by does eventually get there my old man has the 6.5 in his old 60 mwb and it eats up the sand dunes and has an awesome amount of pulling power once up and running.

Sent from me using Forum Runner

Kano
7th April 2014, 08:47 AM
krbrooking thanks for the info. I hadn't looked at the 4.2 turbo option at all. The reason I was looking for a 6.5 was for power but also all the new extras that come with the conversion such as a new gear box, radiator, alternator, exhaust but 36,000 is way out of my price range. Is there any chance you could let me know where in Perth you got that quote from for the 4.2 turbo?

krbrooking
7th April 2014, 10:15 AM
Pm sent mate.

90mav
15th April 2014, 10:47 PM
Having just spent $2500 fixing my 2.8 gu, I'm kicking myself I didn't see the rb25det option first.
2xpower
2xtorque
Under $2k to buy a new engine with wring, computer etc.
Easy bolt in conversion with the same gearbox, engine mounts, clutch , flywheel etc.
Better or at least similar fuel consumption 13L/100km or therabouts
Not diesel so cheaper to service and lots of cheap parts available through jap importers.
Lots of go fast mods too...
I love my truck and would love a V8 chev diesel but realistically it's just not affordable or practical for most.
Imagine blowing away some idiot in his twin cam Hyundai at the lights...!