PDA

View Full Version : Hard to start

statok
4th April 2014, 11:56 AM
Hey fellas

Having a problem with starting the patrol even tho i just had new glow plugs put in.

It will start ok the first time but when i drive it for about 20 min and stop e.g servo then its hard to start. It wants to start but just doesn't.

Could it be battery? Terminals?

Joelshero
5th April 2014, 01:53 PM
is it blowing any smoke? and do you have any way of checking fuel pressure? If it is winding over than I would say that your battery and terminals are fine. If it starts when you jump it is it winding over quicker than when you are using your start battery? If this is the case you may have an issue with your fuel rail, and it is not building up enough pressure. I don't think it will be a glow plug problem but you can check them with a test light.

happygu
5th April 2014, 02:15 PM
Statok has the 2.8 - so no fuel rail.

There are plenty of experts on yours and i am sure that they will chime in, but I am thinking fuel pump advance plate, as there has been a few threads about it over the years

Mic

Agwang
5th April 2014, 07:24 PM
My patrol did something similar but my problem was due to the auto gear not locking properly in park setting... It was such a silly and newbie thing until I realise it...

Joelshero
6th April 2014, 06:45 AM
first thing to check if its a 2.8 is crack injector lines and see if your getting fuel

statok
9th April 2014, 02:16 PM
Thanks fellas. I will try all these things.
It did play up just before when my wife wanted to take it. Took a little bit to start and when it did a puff of black smoke came out.
Yes its a 2.8