PDA

View Full Version : Do GU 16 by 8" Wheels on a GQ Patrol Protrude Beyond the Flares?

Chimo
1st April 2014, 08:32 PM
Hi All

As per the header i'm considering replacing the 15" original wheels on the GQ with GU 16 by 8" original steel wheels; if I can find some; so I could have a greater range of tyres to chose from in future when I fit new ones.

Talking tyres with a tyre salesman today and he tells me the GU wheel and tyre will protrude an inch or more beyond the GQ flares so be a tad illegal.
Is he correct?

As most of the GQs use is on road and towing I'm considering going H/T rather than A/T for a quieter ride. Any of you have experience with the tyres that are available, at this stage for 15" wheels?

Yokahama Geolander H/T S G 051 is one option and Goodyear Wrangler HT is another. Another one is the the 31/10.5R15 HT AUSTONE CSR34

Any thoughts on one or other of these? What else is there to look at?

Thank in anticipation.

Cheers
Chimo

Bloodyaussie
1st April 2014, 09:19 PM
Depends on the offset of the rim mate.... my -13 rims with 285 75 16 tyres did not go past the factory flares.

Clunk
1st April 2014, 09:32 PM
As BA has said, depends on the offset. I have 15x8 rims shod with 33x12.50x15 tyres, so are approx 25mm wider than 285x75x16 tyres, my tyres protrude approx 10mm outside the factory flares on my tb42.
I also have a TD42 with 16x8 CSA alloy rims originally from a GU shod with 285x75x16 tyres and they sit well within the factory flares. Different offset rims with different width tyres will make all the difference

Dhuck
1st April 2014, 09:44 PM
The factory wheels will be ok, but as Clunk and BA stated after market may be a different story with the offsets available

gaddy
1st April 2014, 10:44 PM
Yokahama Geolander H/T S G 051 is one option and Goodyear Wrangler HT is another. Another one is the the 31/10.5R15 HT AUSTONE CSR34

Any thoughts on one or other of these? What else is there to look at?

Thank in anticipation.

Cheers
Chimo[/QUOTE]

I'm on a set of kumo road venture's at the moment , and very happy so far 20 000 k nice and quiet on the road , great in the wet ,

Parksy
2nd April 2014, 04:04 PM
I'm running the gu wheels and they don't stick out at all. I'm fairly sure that they are a positive 10 offset. I'm keen to get rid of mine for the offset reason, I want something wider.

Chimo
2nd April 2014, 04:56 PM
Parksy

What size are your wheels? PM sent

Cheers
Chimo

MudRunnerTD
2nd April 2014, 04:59 PM
If you have Factory GU rims that you want to put on your GQ then they are all Pos10. and will not stick out at all mate.

The boys above as talking about changing offsets and this can be a problem but your original question was about existing GU rims on a GQ and they will be no trouble.