PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Transfer Pump Help

liftlid
31st March 2014, 01:28 PM
I need some help with working out if what I want to do is possible.
I have a Diesel GQ with a long range AUX tank that has the standard GQ fuel pickup/sender unit and a remote inline pump to transfer the fuel to the main tank.
I broke the pump pulling out the AUX tank and felt that the plastic of the pump had gotten brittle located up above the rear axle for approx. 8 years.

What I want to do is replace my GQ sender with one a sender that also has the pump integrated (in tank pump).
My question is:
What model has a Sender/pickup/pump combination?
Is the sender in the Main or Aux Tank?
Will it need a pressure regulator?
Has anybody done this before?
Will the pump be ok in diesel?
How will the pump handle being dry 80% of the time?
I expect I will need to wire up a cut off so the pump wont run dry, but how do they handle running dry?
Pump would need to be self priming.
Any help would be great. I expect it will be something out of a GU but I've not had much experience with the differences of the various models.
thanks
Gary

matfew
31st March 2014, 01:39 PM
i'm keen to know this also gary.

I have thought about a standard unleaded style one coz i have a rb30 tank at home. but same as you not sure if it will handle the deisel. Pretty sure being dry wont hurt it as how many tanks would sit there dry anyways.

liftlid
31st March 2014, 02:28 PM
i'm keen to know this also gary.

I have thought about a standard unleaded style one coz i have a rb30 tank at home. but same as you not sure if it will handle the deisel. Pretty sure being dry wont hurt it as how many tanks would sit there dry anyways.

Is yours a main tank?
I would expect if pump came from aux tank it would be fine to be dry, would like to confirm a main tank pump though

matfew
31st March 2014, 02:54 PM
Yeah just the normal rear one out of a wreck. It's been dry for a while now so I'll drop it in some diesel and see how it goes

liftlid
1st April 2014, 06:00 PM
Bump can anybody help with this?

Winnie
1st April 2014, 06:52 PM
Why do you want to do this Gary?

liftlid
2nd April 2014, 08:33 AM
Why do you want to do this Gary?

The current broken transfer pump is cable tied under floor, I thought it could make a less complex and protected setup, since I had to buy a pump anyway.

Yendor
3rd April 2014, 03:23 PM
The ZD30 and TD42 GU's have an external transfer pump mounted on the front of the sub tank. I don't know about the 2.8 but I'm guessing it would be external as well.

The Petrol GU's have a the transfer pump mounted in the sub tank and the main fuel pump mounted in the main tank.

Transfer pumps are generally low pressure so you won't need a pressure regulator.

"Will the pump be ok in diesel?" If you are using a petrol only pump in diesel then I don't expect it will last too long.

Pumps don't like running dry. They should be turned off before running dry.

liftlid
3rd April 2014, 03:36 PM
Thanks yendor gives me somewhere to start