PDA

View Full Version : Using radiator transmission cooler for a shower?

BLKWDW
29th March 2014, 09:11 AM
Not sure if this is the right place to post this so move it plz if it isnt.

Alright i recentyl bough a new 3core copper/brass rad for my gq td42. I asked for a manual but recieved a manaul. As far as i can tell i can still use it whilst just plugging of the barbs for the tranny cooler etc. Question i have is someone made a suggestion to use the the tranny fluid part of the radiator as a hot water shower plumping up a tank to it with a pump and flowing threw the rad. Will this work? Has anyone heard of this before?

Keen on doing it if it will work.

Winnie
29th March 2014, 09:34 AM
You just leave them, don't connect anything to them and don't need to plug it.
Hot water is good but.... Isn't the idea of the radiator to cool down and not heat up? Lol

threedogs
29th March 2014, 09:37 AM
It might work as a heat exchanger, only one way to find out, buy a pump and plumb it up

BLKWDW
29th March 2014, 09:51 AM
You just leave them, don't connect anything to them and don't need to plug it.
Hot water is good but.... Isn't the idea of the radiator to cool down and not heat up? Lol

Yes it is mate but the water in the rad is still hot so might be enough to heat the water to use in a shower.

Lemo79
29th March 2014, 09:51 AM
That sounds like a top idea, will be interesting to see what temp water you get out of it. Like suggested, have a play.

Lemo.

Lemo79
29th March 2014, 09:57 AM
Jam the garden hose on there at a low flow rate and see what comes out temp wise before you go to any expense. I'm keen to hear the result.

Lemo.

BLKWDW
29th March 2014, 10:00 AM
Once the rain stops i'll install the rad and try it out. Will report back when i do hopefully late this arvo. In theory it sounds like it may work but in practice could be a different story. WOuld i be best of using the left or right side of the rad? i'm thinking right side where the hot water from the engine will enter 1st.

Lemo79
29th March 2014, 10:18 AM
Don't think it will make a lot of difference. 2 probs I just thought of, that is the cool water is in the bottom tank, and the pipe diameter may not be enough for a shower but you could use it to heat a bucket of water than shower from that.

Lemo.

BLKWDW
29th March 2014, 10:50 AM
Before i concede to the idea ill try it. Another option i can think of to use it is depending on the tank size have a closed loop circuit with a t piece. If ur an hr from camp or something turn the pump on continouly circulating the water around from the tank to the rad slowly heating it up. Once ready for a shower open or switch a valve on to send the water to the shower.

threedogs
29th March 2014, 01:05 PM
For all the mucking around I think I would buy a proper heat exchanger and go from there.
I don't think water will be there long enough to get heated, but the theory is there good luck

Lemo79
29th March 2014, 02:46 PM
For all the mucking around I think I would buy a proper heat exchanger and go from there.
I don't think water will be there long enough to get heated, but the theory is there good luck

But if it does work, that's some saved space in our already crowded engine bays. Plus no additional plumbing in regards to the engine that has the potential to fail. Just thoughts.

Lemo.