PDA

View Full Version : CTEK or REDARC

Dhuck
29th March 2014, 03:10 AM
Which do people prefer or have. Let us know. I currently have the SBI12. Have not had a problem with it. But now the old Pigtrol is changing from extreme offroader to more of a tourer, I am looking at upgrading to a battery management system instead of an isolator.

threedogs
29th March 2014, 07:07 AM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?26982-Redarc-or-Ctek-Which-one
thread already going on this topic

Yendor
29th March 2014, 06:31 PM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?26982-Redarc-or-Ctek-Which-one
thread already going on this topic

I don't think that thread has a poll asking what brand people prefer.

Yendor
29th March 2014, 06:33 PM
I normally don't participate in threads like this because it normally comes down to people trying to justify what they have spent their money on.

My personal opinion is that RedArc are a good Australian based company that do a lot of research and development. Where as some of the other companies well......

The question should be Dave, what best suits your needs.

This comes down to what/how you expect to use your second battery for. Such as, What do you want to run off the second battery?, what type of battery,? where is it mounted?, how long might the vehicle sit before being started?, once started how long does it run for?

Back to your original question. I think RedArc is the rolex and Ctek is, well....

Does this mean Ctek is bad value........hell no.

the evil twin
29th March 2014, 07:02 PM
I don't see how you can vote for either as what are you comparing?
EG CTEK don't make a 'competitor' to a SBI12.

If you are comparing companies then both are top shelf with CTEK being about 50 times bigger and a larger range of gear.

I use Redarc where I can as they are Aussie but they are both of equal quality.
Where Redarc don't have gear I use Intervolt because they are also 100% aussie
If neither have the product I need then I use CTEK

megatexture
29th March 2014, 10:37 PM
Can't say I've herd of anyone having an issue with either unit. Price may sway the vote and it also depends on how many amph your battery/bank is if you need to have 20amp 25a 40a or 80amp unit.

For the price of a bcdc 1240(40amp) you can almost get a 250s dual with a smartpass and have 80 amp output compared to the 40a the redarc has. Just work out what you want from the system, obviously there's no point having 80 amp output if you only have one aux battery though.

While I like to try to buy aust made I don't see the point in paying out the arse just because it is.

rainsey
29th March 2014, 10:58 PM
Folks,

It's horses for courses so to speak. I have both units. A Redarc in my truck and a Ctek in my camper...

The Redarc is in my truck as I have over 400w or solar on top and the Ctek can only support a max of 250w of solar input.

My care has a 40 watt solar on t and I supplement it with a fold up 160w.

What I like about the Ctek over the Redac is that when my auxiliary battery is full, it supposedly diverts its charge to my main battery. The Redac needs to have a relay that switches between solar and alternator and does not revert excess back to the main battery.

Both do a sterling job but if the Ctek could handle ore than 250w I would have gone with it in both the camper and the truck.

Love to support Oz companies but being that there is a substantial differential in cost ... Well.... I only have finite bucks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

rainsey
29th March 2014, 11:00 PM
My apologies for the disjointed diatribe in my last post. The predictive text on my iPad seems to think it knows what I am trying to say better than I do:)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Dhuck
30th March 2014, 10:57 AM
I don't think that thread has a poll asking what brand people prefer.

This is why I started the poll. I did not just want people to just let us know what they thought of them

I don't see how you can vote for either as what are you comparing?
EG CTEK don't make a 'competitor' to a SBI12.

If you are comparing companies then both are top shelf with CTEK being about 50 times bigger and a larger range of gear.

I use Redarc where I can as they are Aussie but they are both of equal quality.
Where Redarc don't have gear I use Intervolt because they are also 100% aussie
If neither have the product I need then I use CTEK

As I stated in my first post ET, I am wanting to move away from SBI12 isolator to a BMS and wanting to know peoples preferences were on the 2 brands. However never heard of Intervolt. Cheers will check them out as well.

mudski
2nd April 2014, 11:23 PM
This is why I started the poll. I did not just want people to just let us know what they thought of them

As I stated in my first post ET, I am wanting to move away from SBI12 isolator to a BMS and wanting to know peoples preferences were on the 2 brands. However never heard of Intervolt. Cheers will check them out as well.

What were you looking at getting D? As in the actual alternatives to the SBI12? I have the battery bug at the moment, Just bought another AGM for the camper, a BCDC1225, looking at upgrading the panels too and then I was going to look at the car as I too have the SBI12 and just wondering if it could do with something better.

Dhuck
3rd April 2014, 08:24 AM
What were you looking at getting D? As in the actual alternatives to the SBI12? I have the battery bug at the moment, Just bought another AGM for the camper, a BCDC1225, looking at upgrading the panels too and then I was going to look at the car as I too have the SBI12 and just wondering if it could do with something better.

The truck is being made a little more road friendly so as to do a little touring instead of just the extreme offroader it was. So at this stage I do not know what to do. I have Yendor coming over during the school holidays to have a look at the electrics.

mudski
3rd April 2014, 08:46 AM
It would be interesting to see what you come up with.