PDA

View Full Version : Timing advance

Mongoose100
28th March 2014, 08:36 PM
Hi ya all,

My last safari had the timing advanced from the factory .74 to .82 (from what the previous owner told me). The wagon wenr extremely well to the point that people had asked me if it was Turboed.

Not knowing heaps about diesels timing systems, can someone please tell me if it's more involved than simply loosening the 3 nuts holding the pump to the engine and rotating slightly?

I understand that there are timing marks inside the cover etc but have noticed that where those 3 nuts are there is a slot similar to what you would find on a petrols distributor.

Cheers heaps in advance

Mongoose100
29th March 2014, 01:08 PM
Ideas anyone?

Dales300exc
29th March 2014, 01:39 PM
You can rotate the pump but unless your measuring with a dial indicator you really have bo idea what your actually at.

Mongoose100
29th March 2014, 04:52 PM
If I was to rotate it slightly, am I more likely to do more harm than good? I've done a petrol by trial and error but I'm not too keen on potentially killing this

nissannewby
29th March 2014, 06:50 PM
If you really want to advance it then you could mark it where it is now with a scribe and just rotate it the thickness of the line. If she starts to rattle then retard it again.

However I would highly recommend using the appropriate tooling as the above is just guesswork really. The tooling is readily available even on eBay.

Joelshero
30th March 2014, 03:53 PM
From your post I am thinking you have a direct injection model with a VE pump? To time your pump properly you will need a dial indicator. I am a bit rusty on the procedure but nissannewby is right if you are gunna do it start with small advances so as not to do any damage.

Mongoose100
30th March 2014, 08:43 PM
From your post I am thinking you have a direct injection model with a VE pump? To time your pump properly you will need a dial indicator. I am a bit rusty on the procedure but nissannewby is right if you are gunna do it start with small advances so as not to do any damage.
I thought all Td42's were indirect injection? It's got the VE pump though

nissannewby
31st March 2014, 09:34 PM
I thought all Td42's were indirect injection? It's got the VE pump though

Yes all TD42 engines were indirect injection.

Joelshero
1st April 2014, 07:06 PM
Yeah sorry didn't see that before I posted how did you go with the advance