PDA

View Full Version : out of control patrol

nicsnightmare
28th March 2014, 01:50 PM
Hi guys I've posted on here before but I'm still having issues with my car. My Patrol (2011 auto) had a fuel economy of 21ltrs per 100km and was only 71.6 kw on the dyno. We finally narrowed it down to the Throttle position sensor and that was replaced. since then the power is the same and I'm using around 13ltrs per 100km. I've also had a second issue the Nissan Australia have ignored and refuse to help me. I've been to consumer affairs and Nissan told them hat they weren't interested in helping me and Nissan's own Lawyer told me that she didn't see my problem as a safety issue.
So here goes.... Imagine driving along at 110 kph and all of a sudden yourPatrol drops out of overdrive and the car RPM goes to around 4000RPM and the car speeds up to 120kph. You have NO control over the accelerator and the only way to slow the car down is to completely remove your foot off the pedal. If you even slightly touch the pedal it'll go straight to high RPM and speed off again.
I rung Nissan and they told me they didn't believe me and that I'd have to film it. I've done this and they are still not interested in helping me. Everyone I've spoken to is at a loss. I've told Nissan that this car will kill someone and they don't car. I've had to buy my wife another car because I can't trust her to drive this one. I've got the footage on my Iphone but am unsure as to how to post it on here.
Can anyone please help!!!

threedogs
28th March 2014, 02:21 PM
Can you fit another ECU in it the one you have now may have a bad habit.
What motor @ 21lt/100 I'd say petrol then you said 13lt/100 and I'd say diesel
Replace the brain you may remedy the problem

nicsnightmare
28th March 2014, 02:30 PM
I've suggested that and they say they aren't prepared to replace anything. It's a 3ltr diesel

happygu
28th March 2014, 06:22 PM
Nic,

How often does it do it .... is there someone on the forum who would be willing to let you swap the ECU to see if it fixes the problem?

Mic

ova50
28th March 2014, 10:25 PM
I cant offer any suggestions to what it may be.
As "Happygu" asked, how often does it do it?
Does it do it after driving for X number of Ks or after X number of minutes or hours, or intermittently.?
2011, Is the vehicle still under warranty?
Has the dealer experienced the problem?
If you touch the brake when it happens does it still then want to pick up speed like it does after you have taken your foot off the throttle?
By any chance is the cruise control switch on, (not necessarily using cruise control)?
Did consumer affairs make any ruling?

Another thread I will be watching with interest.
:cheers:

nicsnightmare
1st April 2014, 10:04 PM
It only seems to do it every couple of months. The only thing Nissan will do is put the scanning tool on my car and tell me there are no faults codes so they can't help me. It's still under warranty but Nissan refuse the replace any sensors to check the fault. Cruise control was not on as this was one of the first things I checked. If I touch the brake it'll slow the car down but the second I touch the throttle it'll go straight to high RPM. Nissan told consumer affairs that they weren't interested in helping me any further so consumer affairs had to drop the case

TPC
1st April 2014, 10:35 PM
Can you load the footage of it happening on Youtube and put a link on here?

Robo
2nd April 2014, 12:45 AM
All that after yota just got that huge rubbing down internationally for their lack of interest and denial.

you may wish to ignore my logo at the bottom for this thread

threedogs
2nd April 2014, 05:57 AM
It may be an earthing problem, cheap enough to run some new earth straps

Parksy
2nd April 2014, 06:31 AM
Is it possible that your tps is dirty at a certain throttle angle only. I'd be spraying contact cleaner into the internals, even just as a preventative.

nicsnightmare
25th April 2014, 01:13 PM
computer wise im screwed!! I've got no idea about these things let alone putting it on YouTube. if someone wants to pm me their number ill sms you the footage to put on here as I still don't know how to download off my iPhone

NewDan
26th April 2014, 10:51 AM
One things for sure, I wouldn't be letting either Nissan or consumer affairs go on this one.
Dan

thebrod
26th April 2014, 02:01 PM
hmmmm not so special on the Nissan dealers part..... Mind you I have had similar problems with holden dealers in the past.
Sounds like maybe a TPS problem. When it happens I wonder if mashing the accelerator up and down a few times would have any affect? If that made it go away I think that it would be pointing to the TPS.

Adam

GQ TANK
26th April 2014, 07:04 PM
Long shot - thus fault is mainly due to the truck going into limop mode qand possably stalling

http://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/nissan-recalls-25000-vehicles-20130927-2uhul.html

Gecko17
29th April 2014, 06:35 PM
Sorry buddy as I can't offer any suggestion to rectify the problem but I hope I can offer an insight to the legal wranglings that go on....

If you can prove that the problem is on the behalf of Nissan, via a qualified mechanic, and the vehicle is under warranty, then I would think that Nissan are obliged to fix the problem.

If the problem can be identified as a Nissan fault, by a qualified mechanic, and that fault has potential safety issues that may result in injury or death, then I would believe that Nissan are obliged to fix the problem. The vehicle should be removed from the road until this matter is resolved. Your biggest issue is proving that the fault is with Nissan. I would make sure that you document absolutely everything, including video if you have it. If you can get a mechanic to identify a fault and a remedy, and the vehicle is still under warranty, then I would believe that the matter falls to Nissan to fix... If there was a crash, caused by an identified fault that Nissan were aware of and refused/failed to fix, then I don't think that the publicity they would receive would be good....

Not a lawyer mate but do have a bit of experience in these types of goings-on.

Hope this helps...

2TROLLFAM
29th April 2014, 07:11 PM
Has the dealership (or yourself) requested that Nissan send out the warranty manager responsible for the area you live in?

I work for a dealership (not Nissan) and I know when customers haven't been able to get action/satisfaction from our Service Department (which can sometimes be just a case of the department following manufacturers fault finding specifications & as such their hands are tied) they've filed a written complaint to the manufacturer and had our Regional Warranty Manager come out to the dealership to inspect/investigate the issue.

Not sure how Nissan do it but for the 2 brands we sell it's not uncommon to see the RWM in our Service Dept.

First Nissan
4th May 2014, 10:53 PM
Did this problem only start after the replacement of the throttle position sensor. If so that would ring alarm bells for me given the symptoms you are experiencing.

good luck

nicsnightmare
19th May 2014, 12:04 PM
this issue has been going since the day I picked it up off the dealership. after they replaced the TPS the fuel consumption was better but the car still takes off and speeds up by itself. Nissan told consumer affairs to bugger off so they can't take it any further. as much as people believe that consumer affairs have all this power, it turns out they don't. they are merely a mediator between the 2 parties. Nissan refuse to acknowledge that there is an issue and therefore wont allow anyone to check anything on the car other than plugging the scanning tool in.

Clunk
19th May 2014, 01:39 PM
Have they swapped out the replacement TPS for another one?

nicsnightmare
19th May 2014, 02:11 PM
nope Nissan refuse to do anything.

Harps
19th May 2014, 08:19 PM
i hate to say it but maybe go to aca or today tonight the car manufactures hate bad press we had a car at work with faults that the company refused to fix the customer complained to one of the shows and very quickly it was resolved.

Good Luck with it mate if you were in brissy i would have had a look at it for you.