PDA

View Full Version : Installing a catch can

Battleready76
27th March 2014, 10:00 PM
Need help gents
Does anybody have a how to page with pics to install a provent catch can to my 3lt patrol crd 2013
As I'm not sure and don't want to botch it up

mudski
27th March 2014, 10:14 PM
Hopefully Hodge will spot this thread as he has recently done this to his CRD. Its not really hard to do. The hardest part is mounting the can. You also need to make adaptors for the 1inch ports on the can to 1/2inch (from the engine) and 5/8inch (to the intake). How you adapt it, there is many ways. I used 1inch O.D to 5/8inch O.D copper adaptors from my local plumbers store. The inside diameter of the 5/8 end is 1/2inch, so I simply cut a short 1inch length of 1/2 copper tube , flared it and glued it inside the 5/8 end so then I had a 1inch O.D to 1/2inch O.D adaptor for the hose from the engine.
Hope this made sense. Kinda hard to explain.
If you need to locate the hose you need to tap into. Look for a hose that runs from the top of your motor and back to the air intake hose.

Yendor
27th March 2014, 10:29 PM
Did you purchase the "Patrol kit" from Western Filters? If you did then it comes with everything you need. Installation is pretty easy, just follow the instructions. I can take some photos of mine on the weekend if need be.

If it wasn't purchase from Western Filters just be carefully as there are some cheap knockoffs around that don't perform as well.

Battleready76
27th March 2014, 11:37 PM
Thanks a bunch I've seen the western filter kits so that's a no brainer I'll order one and set myself to task
I'm rather excited at the thought of becoming one with my beast as it stands up until now I've Been purely a 2wheeled racing nutter but age is catching up on me so riding is all about the BBQ / beer after a hard days thrash not the win :thumbup:

kevin07
28th March 2014, 12:23 AM
I mounted mine on the plate infront of the abs unit I got a flat piece of metal and made an extendable bracket drilled and used rivnuts to mount everything up.ps rivnut set on ebay is $63 at the moment and if your going to do a few things around the car not a bad investment.kev

my third 256
28th March 2014, 06:14 AM
go to your local super cheep store and for about 30 bucks you can get all the parts
western filters kit too expensive some one uaed a holden hose thathas flared ends that fit cant find the link but have a rummage through their racks
42445[/ATTACH
this is what i did
[ATTACH=CONFIG]42446 42447

42448[/ATTACH ][ATTACH=CONFIG]42449

and this is how to run the drain hose

Yendor
28th March 2014, 11:40 AM
Here's the pictures of mine. The fitting kit makes it look like nearly a factory fit.

threedogs
28th March 2014, 03:43 PM
Hopefully Hodge will spot this thread as he has recently done this to his CRD. Its not really hard to do. The hardest part is mounting the can. You also need to make adaptors for the 1inch ports on the can to 1/2inch (from the engine) and 5/8inch (to the intake). How you adapt it, there is many ways. I used 1inch O.D to 5/8inch O.D copper adaptors from my local plumbers store. The inside diameter of the 5/8 end is 1/2inch, so I simply cut a short 1inch length of 1/2 copper tube , flared it and glued it inside the 5/8 end so then I had a 1inch O.D to 1/2inch O.D adaptor for the hose from the engine.
Hope this made sense. Kinda hard to explain.
If you need to locate the hose you need to tap into. Look for a hose that runs from the top of your motor and back to the air intake hose.
In reference to the adaptors needed to fit a member here just recently used a
late model falcon heater hose which is flared both ends so you'll have a perfect fit.

Had a look but cant find the post with the flared heater hose

Hodge
28th March 2014, 03:57 PM
Just like Yendor. I used a fitting kit supplied by Western filters, including the drain hose and the finish was very nice.

HV2002
28th March 2014, 04:35 PM
I Plumbed up my system with Ford heater hoses as they have a flared end that fit the provent perfectly . Here is the link http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?26400-Dirty-MAF-sensor-and-intercooler-leak/page2

42473 42474 42475

threedogs
28th March 2014, 05:12 PM
I Plumbed up my system with Ford heater hoses as they have a flared end that fit the provent perfectly . Here is the link http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?26400-Dirty-MAF-sensor-and-intercooler-leak/page2

42473 42474 42475
thank you I went looking everywhere so XC-XD or XE heater hose, need to get one shortly, might see if CBC sell a "Gates" version

Battleready76
28th March 2014, 11:37 PM
Cheers for the pics ordered can today
But wish I had of read about heater hose first before getting the kit as took the easy option but obviously the costly one

robewott
3rd April 2014, 08:19 AM
I do about 2000k a month. How much oil will go into the catchcan?

mudski
3rd April 2014, 08:39 AM
I do about 2000k a month. How much oil will go into the catchcan?
This is how much my can collects after about 6k... 125ml.

robewott
3rd April 2014, 09:56 AM
thats pretty amazing. Do you throw that away or put it back in the motor?

mudski
3rd April 2014, 10:35 AM
thats pretty amazing. Do you throw that away or put it back in the motor?

Goes out with the old oil...

robewott
3rd April 2014, 10:53 AM
how much oil does the provent catchcan store? Do i have to change the filter in the catchcan often?
I've done 139k-when i fit one, will the accumulated gunk stay in the heads untill i rebuild the engine?

my third 256
5th April 2014, 07:29 AM
drain every 5000 and you will get approx 100 ml and most of it will be in the drain hose

Replacement filter for the Mann Provent 200 crankcase ventilation unit.

Recomended to replace after approx 1000 hours or 80'000 km's

rainsey
5th April 2014, 04:13 PM
go to your local super cheep store and for about 30 bucks you can get all the parts
western filters kit too expensive some one uaed a holden hose thathas flared ends that fit cant find the link but have a rummage through their racks

Mate,

That is one clean engine bay... :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Drew
5th April 2014, 04:43 PM
Mine fills up quicker when towing

Battleready76
6th April 2014, 08:22 PM
Gents I did it fitted my catch can easy as well any way pics 429994300043001430024300343004 first time uploading pics hope all is good <<<< i wasn't sure where to put it as i don't have a second battery yet . so as you see in pictures i think its a winner the last pic with the raggy bit is a pull through of the existing hose and my rig has only done 1700km so far its band new drove it around for a bit and opened up can and well bugger me oily residue
big thanks to the stead fast men of this forum for all the help

robewott
12th April 2014, 12:11 PM
Thanks to all the people who put pics and info here. Made my job a lot easier last week when i put mine in. cheers

barbz
12th April 2014, 05:14 PM
Just looking over the pics of how everyone has mounted these and in wondering how those of you who are solely using the abs bracket as the mount are finding it after a few hundred kms?

I've had a look today and the bracket doesn't look overly stable to have another 0.5-1kg of weight hanging off the end of it.

Cheers

Paul

Battleready76
13th April 2014, 10:41 AM
Just looking over the pics of how everyone has mounted these and in wondering how those of you who are solely using the abs bracket as the mount are finding it after a few hundred kms?

I've had a look today and the bracket doesn't look overly stable to have another 0.5-1kg of weight hanging off the end of it.

Cheers

Paul

On mine i braced it back to the fire wall she's as solid as a rock

Hodge
13th April 2014, 11:39 AM
On mine i braced it back to the fire wall she's as solid as a rock

Hey mate did you just drill into the fire wall or rivet it or something? I'm worried I'll hit something on the other side if drilled.
Also there is 2 screws there already (photo below) I wonder if they hold anything on the other side. Was gonna utilize them.

Battleready76
13th April 2014, 09:09 PM
Hey mate did you just drill into the fire wall or rivet it or something? I'm worried I'll hit something on the other side if drilled.
Also there is 2 screws there already (photo below) I wonder if they hold anything on the other side. Was gonna utilize them.

Yea if you look at my pics I used the existing bolt hole for the diff lock solenoid , on your photo it's a bit down and to the right where that relay thingy is
The bracket that's used for solenoid is shaped perfect to mount flat bar on top of and once bolted up it all runs parallel to firewall so it doesn't push it out of shape once tightened up

barbz
16th April 2014, 10:23 PM
All done and installed, thanks for the inspiration battle ready. Bit of stuffing around to get the pipe onto the intake hose but got there in the end. If anything looks out of place can someone please let me know (cable ties create enough tension to hold the hoses off other hoses).

Cheers

Paul

Battleready76
17th April 2014, 02:15 PM
Nice work there Barbz its good to see i can still inspire people out there .i supose when we have the same intrests it just come naturally to anyone to help another brother out

Covo71
1st June 2014, 01:56 PM
Hi Barbz, where did you get the pipe from? I am having a hard time finding some.

mudski
1st June 2014, 08:28 PM
Covo just go to any hose place like Pirtek, Enzed etc etc for hoses.

Hodge
1st June 2014, 08:33 PM
Or just go to Repco or Rarespares and grab 2 Xc-XE falcon heater hoses for about $15 and they fit perfectly without any adaptors. Very neat.

Covo71
2nd June 2014, 06:32 PM
Hi Hodge, spoke to repco bloke and he said he wouldn't use it for breather. Have you had yours done for a while. Hose ok?

Hodge
2nd June 2014, 07:25 PM
Supposedly they're not for oil yeah I've read that, mine has been on for about a month now and no leaks or no deterioration that I can see. In saying that I don't know whats going on inside the hose though.

The other alternative is go to enzed or pirtek as Mudski mentioned.
And the OTHER alterative, are these guys who sell the provent kit.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PROVENT-200-CRANKCASE-UNIVERSAL-INSTALLATION-KIT-BLACK-PRO-VENT-/261024957241?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cc64cc339&_uhb=1

If you message that seller and ask for a provent hose kit for a GU patrol they will send you all the bits needed including adaptors, clamps etc... Not sure what they will sting for this kit, as mine arrived as part of their provent package, and I didnt get charged for it.

Lightspeed
19th June 2014, 02:54 PM
Do all you guys plumb your catch can out let hose into the intake ? I plumbed mine in their & found that I am getting a small amount of oil in the intercooler. Is this ok or should I just let the outlet from the catch can vent into the engine bay ? Cheers for any ideas.

FNQGU
21st June 2014, 04:19 PM
Dumb question - but if the catch can is not drained for a while (say 15000klm or so), would you end up with any overflow getting blown into the intercooler? How much of a pain in the ass is it to clean it all out again?

I have a 'friend' who might not have emptied the catch can for a while....:-)

mudski
21st June 2014, 04:56 PM
Do all you guys plumb your catch can out let hose into the intake ? I plumbed mine in their & found that I am getting a small amount of oil in the intercooler. Is this ok or should I just let the outlet from the catch can vent into the engine bay ? Cheers for any ideas.
As far as I am aware mate that would be illegal to judt vent the outlet into the engine bay.

Dumb question - but if the catch can is not drained for a while (say 15000klm or so), would you end up with any overflow getting blown into the intercooler? How much of a pain in the ass is it to clean it all out again?

I have a 'friend' who might not have emptied the catch can for a while....:-)

Tell your friend to empty it once in a while. I empty mine every service, 5k and get around 125ml out of it. If the can is full it will have nowhere to go except into the air intake. I clean the filter with petrol. Make sure its dry then put it back in.

Hodge
21st June 2014, 05:38 PM
Illegal. Supposedly a heftier fine, than if you got caught with a blocked EGR.

FNQGU
22nd June 2014, 03:36 PM
Thanks Mudski - sorted it out. I figured it had to be the problem after noticing rough smokey starts recently. Much better.

foggs
9th October 2015, 06:23 PM
Just finished fitting mine.
Took a bit of fiddling around to put in a spot where it would not touch or rub any other hoses but happy with the outcome.
Had to make a little bracket like most others here. Also had to visit Enzed for the hoses and Bunnings for the fittings. In hindsight I should have probably gone for the Western Filters kit and save myself some time and hassle, but saving around $50 and solving the little puzzle was far more enjoyable :)

I used the original intake hose and used a 90 degree connector (3rd pic) to hook into outtake of catch can. Figured if I ever need to remove/disconnect the catch can, I can easily reconnect it as stock.

61890 61891 61892 61896 61894 61895

joshop85
6th November 2015, 10:02 PM
Hi guys, thanks for all the pics and tips etc.

I bought an autotecnica catch can from super of the cheap for $50 , unfortunately it can not be opened so would be dificult to add baffle. Will let you know after being fitted if it works or not.

mudski
7th November 2015, 11:56 AM
If the can is empty, you might as well not have one. It needs atleast some sort of filtration inside the can to actually catch the oil.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

rusty00
7th November 2015, 10:13 PM
I was told but have forgotten where to use the check valve and what is it for.
What line is it go into?

mudski
8th November 2015, 10:30 AM
I was told but have forgotten where to use the check valve and what is it for.
What line is it go into?
No need for a check valve unless you plan on feeding the drain port back into the motor.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

joshop85
13th November 2015, 08:36 PM
yeah i'll have to modify mine if it doesn't catch the oil...see how it goes.

jsawrey
2nd November 2017, 11:49 PM
nice job, love all the pics.

jsawrey
4th November 2017, 10:05 PM
Cool thread easy to understand

denk82
21st May 2020, 11:06 AM
I know im resurrecting a thread from long ago... where can i purchase a kit or bracket alone that bolts into the firewall near the ABS solenoid bracket? I have a fuel manager secondary filter and dual battery all on the passenger side and nowhere else to install. I can move some of my dual battery wiring around but i definitely need a bracket to fit a catch can in this space nice and snug.

mudski
21st May 2020, 01:17 PM
Have you tried Western Filters? They do a lot of custom kits.

irishbison
1st April 2021, 01:31 PM

Installed my own Provent catch can yesterday - photos to show how even a mechanical halfwit can do it! Many thanks to all who explained and took photos before.

Cremulator
13th August 2021, 06:49 PM
I relocated my catch can oil drain from the engine bay into the passenger wheel arch for easier access.http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2021/08/140.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2021/08/141.jpg
In 3 years and 15,500kms I've drained less than 300ml from the catch can. (Factory TD42ti)