PDA

View Full Version : Glow plug timer mod, what glow plugs?

Rickie3
27th March 2014, 09:21 PM
Doing the glow plug timer mod on my 3 litre direct injection over the weekend, and want to do away with the the ceramic tip plugs, can someone advise the right metallic tip glow plugs I need to buy, preferably brand and part numbers please would be appreciative

mudski
27th March 2014, 09:32 PM
Can't give ya parts numbers mate but Bosch and NGK are the two brands I would use...

Rickie3
28th March 2014, 08:58 AM
Surely someone on here has done this mod?, I need to know the correct glow plugs to buy

Clunk
28th March 2014, 09:31 AM
Guess not.......

Wine_maker
28th March 2014, 03:04 PM
Genuine Nissan glow plugs for RD28 is NGK. I think that Nissan use NGK for all engines when produce it.

JoeG
28th March 2014, 04:13 PM
Hi Ricky3
If you have a Direct Injection 3 ltr GU then it will not have glow plugs
Glow plugs are only on indirect injection engines to get the 'recaro' pre combustion chamber hot enough to stop it quenching the heat of compression
So no glow plugs for Direct injection as nothing to pre heat
The 'Glow' light on Direct injection engines is illuminated whilst the engine ÉCU' goes through its pre start checks.
so no timer involved and no glow plugs
save your money for some thing else
Regards
Joe

Rickie3
28th March 2014, 07:34 PM
Hi Ricky3
If you have a Direct Injection 3 ltr GU then it will not have glow plugs
Glow plugs are only on indirect injection engines to get the 'recaro' pre combustion chamber hot enough to stop it quenching the heat of compression
So no glow plugs for Direct injection as nothing to pre heat
The 'Glow' light on Direct injection engines is illuminated whilst the engine ÉCU' goes through its pre start checks.
so no timer involved and no glow plugs
save your money for some thing else
Regards
Joeummmm now i'm confused, my 3L direct injection engine does have glow plugs, they are located under the intercooler I can see the bus bar running to them, and 4 rubber bungs at the top of them

Hodge
28th March 2014, 07:36 PM
ummmm now i'm confused, my 3L direct injection engine does have glow plugs, they are located under the intercooler I can see the bus bar running to them, and 4 rubber bungs at the top of them

Are you sure you're not looking at the injectors?

Dales300exc
28th March 2014, 07:48 PM
Glow plugs are not indirect injection only. They are in a variety of engines both direct and indirect.

And yes in my brief scan ZD30s do have them.

Rickie3
28th March 2014, 07:55 PM
Are you sure you're not looking at the injectors?mines a 2000 3litre direct injection, i'm pretty sure injectors dont have a bus bar and a single hot wire large white with a red trace

Lemo79
28th March 2014, 07:57 PM
ummmm now i'm confused, my 3L direct injection engine does have glow plugs, they are located under the intercooler I can see the bus bar running to them, and 4 rubber bungs at the top of them

Yes they do, I am going to do the mod when I get off my but, when I do though I was going to maintain the ceramic plugs or replace with ceramic plugs as I thought the idea of the timer was to prolong the life of the ceramic plug. My understanding was the ceramic plugs were only loosing tips due to being on for the 5min and being blasted by the injectors during that time. Better safe than sorry though, but do you need to do the timer mod if you replace them with metal tips?

Lemo.

Rickie3
28th March 2014, 08:19 PM
From what I read these are the glow plugs required when doing the mod http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4-Glow-Plugs-Navara-D22-Patrol-GU-Y61-ZD30-DDT-3-0L-Turbo-Diesel-11065-2W202-/121122997044?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c337e4334

Yendor
28th March 2014, 08:55 PM
Yes they do, I am going to do the mod when I get off my but, when I do though I was going to maintain the ceramic plugs or replace with ceramic plugs as I thought the idea of the timer was to prolong the life of the ceramic plug. My understanding was the ceramic plugs were only loosing tips due to being on for the 5min and being blasted by the injectors during that time. Better safe than sorry though, but do you need to do the timer mod if you replace them with metal tips?

Lemo.

I did the same on my old Patrol, keep the ceramic plugs and installed the timer.

If you are installing metal tip glow plugs you need to do the timer mod. The metal glow plugs will burn out very quickly if you don't.

On the DIs the ECU keeps the glow plugs on until engine temperature reaches 75°C

Rickie3
28th March 2014, 08:59 PM
Below is the timer i'm using got it at Jaycar $32 as i'm going to use the metal glow plugs

Rumcajs
28th March 2014, 09:06 PM
I have done this mod including fitting overide switch and also hacking the dashboard indicator to work with it.
I did fit new ceramic glow plugs, with the timer they will outlast the engine.
Metal tip glow plugs are cheap arse and will fail even with timer they will probably last at best 50,000 kays. Ceramic ones lasts 100,000 km with standards 5 minutes glow time so with timer at 30 secs I have no intention of doing the job again.

Cheers

Here is my take on it ==>

Lemo79
28th March 2014, 09:06 PM
Below is the timer i'm using got it at Jaycar $32 as i'm going to use the metal glow plugs

Did you get the timer online from Jaycar or in store, and is it a stock item? Reason I ask is I don't have a Jaycar I can just walk into.

Lemo.

Rickie3
28th March 2014, 09:09 PM
I did fit new ceramic glow plugs, with the timer they will outlast the engine.
Metal tip glow plugs are cheap arse and will fail even with timer they will probably last at best 50,000 kays. Ceramic ones lasts 100,000 km with standards 5 minutes glow time so with timer at 30 secs I have no intention of doing the job again.

CheersOk that does make sense, what part number are the ceramic plugs that you used Rum? as I will put new ones, now you mentioned what you did I dont want to be having to replace glow plugs every 12 months

Rickie3
28th March 2014, 09:12 PM
Did you get the timer online from Jaycar or in store, and is it a stock item? Reason I ask is I don't have a Jaycar I can just walk into.

Lemo.
I bought mine in store Lemo, but heres the online addy if you want to order http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=AA0364

Yendor
28th March 2014, 09:18 PM
Ok that does make sense, what part number are the ceramic plugs that you used Rum? as I will put new ones, now you mentioned what you did I dont want to be having to replace glow plugs every 12 months

I got mine from Nizzbits. Send him a PM with your vehicle details and delivery post code and he will give you a quote.

Rumcajs
28th March 2014, 09:20 PM
Ok that does make sense, what part number are the ceramic plugs that you used Rum? as I will put new ones, now you mentioned what you did I dont want to be having to replace glow plugs every 12 months

I used NGK CZ71 (6836)
I have downloaded entire NGK catalog and for ZD30 from 00-05 CZ71 are to be used if OEM NGK are fitted.

NGK website lists also CZ258. I don't know what the difference is.

Edit: Managed to find a little info about it; CZ258 supersedes CZ71

Nissan OEM glow plugs have NGK CZ21 with blue paint markings (fitted to mine 05 model). There are two types listed in manual the other have yellow marking they should not be mixed.

Cheers

Lemo79
28th March 2014, 09:31 PM
I bought mine in store Lemo, but heres the online addy if you want to order http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=AA0364

Thanks Rickie3, had searched online but had no luck. Was one of the reasons it wasn't done yet as was waiting to get instore, running out of excuses now.

Lemo.

JoeG
30th March 2014, 07:52 AM
Sorry folks for the false lead earlier
My experience with diesels has been mainly with indirect engines and larger direct injection engines so general in nature but clearly NOT specific to your engine
looks like I need to widen my knowledge base and keep out of detailed discussions
any how I learned something and will now look for more info on smaller direct injection engines
Thanks
Joe