PDA

View Full Version : Swapping VNT to conventional turbo's?

GU_Mudstar
27th March 2014, 12:40 PM
Hey guys i had a thought, is it possible for us to swap a vehicle already equipped with a vnt to a conventional turbo with a internal/external gated wastegate? It would make more sense as the conventional turbos hold boost much better and wont drop off much like a vnt which requires vacuum to operate it, were as normal wastegate is bleeding off boost to that level that is acceptable.

And if possible would you need a retune of the diesel pumps to alter it to the different spool rates as id imagine the vnt does spool faster, but drops off boost easier as well

threedogs
27th March 2014, 03:31 PM
pretty sure Guest 4WD in Fairfield Melb do this modification,
might be more details on their web site

meh
27th March 2014, 04:13 PM
Hey guys i had a thought, is it possible for us to swap a vehicle already equipped with a vnt to a conventional turbo with a internal/external gated wastegate? It would make more sense as the conventional turbos hold boost much better and wont drop off much like a vnt which requires vacuum to operate it, were as normal wastegate is bleeding off boost to that level that is acceptable.

And if possible would you need a retune of the diesel pumps to alter it to the different spool rates as id imagine the vnt does spool faster, but drops off boost easier as well

Have you read up on installing a Dawes and needle valve ? This essentially changes the turbo to work as a normal turbo. Spool rate you choose with the needle valve and boost level with dawes valve. Mine gets full boost by 1650/1700RPM and holds it all the way till I change gears and I run 19psi

mudski
27th March 2014, 04:15 PM
It's much cheaper to just add a Dawes and needle valve in and your ecu issues are no longer. Plus these turbos are quite good at their job too.