PDA

View Full Version : Dual mass flywheel

statok
27th March 2014, 10:58 AM
Hey,

I am looking at replacing my gear box and i have found this one. But it says DUAL MASS FLYWHEEL ONLY!

How can i tell if the flywheel is dual mass before i go and buy this gearbox.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NISSAN-PATROL-TRANS-GEARBOX-MANUAL-4WD-2-8-RD28T-DIESEL-GU-12-97-03-00-/191112884393?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c7f3730a9

statok
27th March 2014, 11:06 AM
Or will this gearbox still go into my gu if it doesnt have dual mass flywheel

grimace
29th March 2014, 04:55 PM
you can replace the dual mass with a solid flywheel which is better for long term, it will out last a dual mass as these are known to wear out clutches fast. i replaced my dual mass with a EXCEDY SAFARI and solid flywheel which was $2,700 fitted although as i said i also had to buy the flywheel which won't be necessary next time. mine has been in my truck and has done around 40,000ks and not even looking like stopping....cheers....

mudski
1st April 2014, 11:14 PM
Unless they are selling the box with the clutch and flywheel??? As far as I know, everything on the box is the same, regardless of what flywheel you are using. The only part of the box that touches the flywheel is the end of the input shaft where it sits in the flywheel. Converting from dual to single flywheels is just a matter of flywheel and clutch. Nothing else needs to be changed.
You might wanna check if that box has had the fifth gear upgrade or you might just be blowing your hard earned into the wind.

statok
4th April 2014, 12:24 PM
I ended up getting a full reco box and my patrol already had a solid mass flywheel in it