PDA

View Full Version : Vote for a forum app or not

AB
27th March 2014, 07:48 AM
Hi folks,

I just need to gauge how much interest there is for a forum app or not as I know a lot of people are more than happy to use the forum on their devices browser.

Keeping in mind I can trial forumrunner or even develop my own which may be painful.

If you haven't done so yet, please try to use the forum on your devices browser and see what you think.

Remember we have the mobile version program running which is easy to use but unable to upload photos which is painful. You can switch to the normal website by scrolling to the bottom of the forum and pressing "FULL SITE".

Try that and then please vote honestly above.

Do you want an app or happy to use the mobile version/normal website on mobile device.

04OFF
27th March 2014, 08:13 AM
What is this "forum app" , what will it do, and why do we need one ?

Im guessing its to do with viewing the forum on your phone etc ?, personally i use the full version of everything if i ever use my ph for the net (not often), anything else other than full versions seem VERY restricted and frustrating to me !

04OFF
27th March 2014, 08:18 AM
Ahh, for those who have not seen it, i found this thread....

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?26987-New-forum-app-in-development

Ill read it later, but guess it may explain a few things

Bloodyaussie
27th March 2014, 08:35 AM
I hate trying to use the forum in normal mode as per computer... The app makes it so much easier to use quickly!!!

MudRunnerTD
27th March 2014, 09:05 AM
I hate trying to use the forum in normal mode as per computer... The app makes it so much easier to use quickly!!!

Wow! I am the exact opposite!! The only time I use the App is to post a pic as it's simple and easy. As a result I rarely use photobucket now.

99.9% of my time here regardless of the device is through Safari.

Teache how to post a pic from my device direct to the forum via safari and then happy days.

BigRAWesty
27th March 2014, 09:37 AM
+1 for an app here.

Find mc so much easier to navigate on the smaller screen.

Alitis007
27th March 2014, 09:43 AM
Its so much easier with an app and its faster especially when you have lower then average reception or using at time with high internet/ data traffic it will load up the forum otherwise it'll take forever buffering and timing out. As it was said loading pictures and videos is easy plus getting notifications when your quoted and following threads is alot easier too.

BigRAWesty
27th March 2014, 09:47 AM
And limited adds.
You only get the info you need on an app..

Sure mc is crap, crashing and failing to upload pics etc, but I still find it much easier to use than even the mobile version of the web..

growler2058
27th March 2014, 09:57 AM
I can't find the mobile version on my phone it just looks like the full site only

taslucas
27th March 2014, 10:09 AM
Yeah just went straight to the mobile version when I used the browser. Didn't like it much. I like how the app displays the unread threads first instead of searching your way through menus. Can you change the mobile version to do that?
Anyway I prefer an app and would happily pay three and half cents for one.

BigRAWesty
27th March 2014, 11:57 AM
I can't find the mobile version on my phone it just looks like the full site only

Bottom of the page it should have an option "mobile version"

growler2058
27th March 2014, 12:08 PM
Bottom of the page it should have an option "mobile version"

Nup!......

megatexture
27th March 2014, 12:16 PM
I don't see the need and personally I think Andys time can be better spent ...Like rooftop bags lol:thumbup:

Clunk
27th March 2014, 03:59 PM
yep, I quite dislike the mobile version, not overly user friendly. Also trying to view the full size forum on a mobile phone IMO is next to useless (fine on a 10" tablet), as well as chewing up your data allowance, you have to zoom in just to see anything. Not to have a forum app would suck big hairy balls big time and would be a step in the wrong direction...................... I would prefer to have a forum app than a roof top back if I'm being totally honest!!!!!

At the end of the day it's up to Mein Fuhrer because he's the guy that's gotta sort it........................ and if we don't have a forum app, then he better bloody well get on with making up some Redback Rooftop bags!!!!!!!! hahahaha

Winnie
27th March 2014, 05:10 PM
The mobile site is slow and probably heavy on data... Sorry Andy make an app!

growler2058
27th March 2014, 05:19 PM
Im with Clunkster. But I still cant find the mobile version and using the full version on my phone sucks dogs balls

NissanGQ4.2
27th March 2014, 06:07 PM
Growlers, right at the bottom of the page left hand side is a drop down box with "-- Default Style" displaying click on the box then select "-- Default Mobile Style"

growler2058
27th March 2014, 06:23 PM
Ok cheers Toddy found it
Would be tolerable if you could post pics

AB
27th March 2014, 06:43 PM
Ok cheers Toddy found it
Would be tolerable if you could post pics

I cannot believe vbulletin haven't developed that function yet!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app

oddkid82
27th March 2014, 06:51 PM
I like the app format. 1 vote for the app

Punderhead
27th March 2014, 07:03 PM
Another vote for the app here. So much more user friendly.

I would also be happy to pay a few bucks for
The app to help ab recoup costs and make his time worthwhile (hey you can make money on it for all I care, you deserve it

Cheers

Winnie
27th March 2014, 07:04 PM
The app will be paid for sure.

mudski
27th March 2014, 07:10 PM
If it costs me to buy the app I would be more than happy too. Its for us anyhow...While MC has its niggles it worked pretty well.

Hodge
27th March 2014, 07:12 PM
I'd definitely be keen on a dedicated app for the forum. Would pay for it no dramas.

AB
27th March 2014, 07:27 PM
I'm still not home and can't see the poll but I think I know the answer...lol

Leave it with me gents, ill work it out.

Rickie3
27th March 2014, 07:27 PM
I think as the years progress technology has gone in leaps and bounds, more and more people are using portable devices over sitting at a desk top pc, forum apps that offer easy access on mobile devices allow boards like this to grow bigger and better, I mean seriously if your out in the bush and you have a sticky question to ask, you can log straight into the forum via the app and ask your questions, hell lets be honest how many of you use your mobile whilst sitting on the shitter to browse this forum?? hands up I do LOL, I'm a big fan of forum apps so two thumbs up from me, it will keep the forum on the grid

mudski
27th March 2014, 08:02 PM
I hear ya Rick. But. I prefer to sit on the couch with my laptop and talk chit here over using my Galaxy Note. The app is handy and better on mobile devices but it will never beat viewing via a webpage. IMHO.

93patrol
27th March 2014, 08:38 PM
happy to use the app for a phone or tablet and would also be happey to pay for it as well

NissanGQ4.2
27th March 2014, 08:57 PM
I can't vote as I hardly use the mobile or Tablet 2 view the forum, on the rare occasion I do I use the browser as I have found it not limited compared 2 the current apps. However I do see a dedicated app the way forward when it comes to mobile as everything else we have tried su!ks the big one!

lucus30
27th March 2014, 09:44 PM
App here. I'd vote but can't in mc

oncedisturbed
27th March 2014, 09:54 PM

Same here, needs a dedicated app that comes with roof top bags :beer::beer::beer::beer::beer:

Alitis007
27th March 2014, 10:12 PM

Same here, needs a dedicated app that comes with roof top bags :beer::beer::beer::beer::beer:

If you click the too right corner where you reply you can open to safari or whatever and vote :)

AB
28th March 2014, 08:03 AM
Just installed forum runner. If anyone wants to spend $2 than download the app and let us know your thoughts.

No thanks button though. Not sure if I can get that working yet but will have a crack this weekend.

Thoughts?

93patrol
28th March 2014, 08:10 AM
sounds good to me, does that go to the church??

Maxhead
28th March 2014, 08:17 AM
Just installed forum runner. If anyone wants to spend $2 than download the app and let us know your thoughts.

No thanks button though. Not sure if I can get that working yet but will have a crack this weekend.

Thoughts?

Just downloaded so we'll see how it goes.
You can vote in the poll on this by the way

Pic test....OK crashed 3 times to add a pic but worked

AB
28th March 2014, 08:22 AM
Hey there is a thank button!!!! Winner!

Maxhead
28th March 2014, 08:31 AM
Hey there is a thank button!!!! Winner!

Looks good so far :)

Winnie
28th March 2014, 08:47 AM
Looks alright to me.

Alitis007
28th March 2014, 09:01 AM
Just loaded it up see how it goes!! Seems faster than mcrappa

Winnie
28th March 2014, 09:03 AM
It's heaps faster... I like it so far
Edit: There's no widget though... Still can't attach pics in an edit.

BigRAWesty
28th March 2014, 09:07 AM
Will look into it.

@AB do you get anything outta FR??

AB
28th March 2014, 12:38 PM
Will look into it.

@AB do you get anything outta FR??

No I don't mate but I'm liking this app so far.

growler2058
28th March 2014, 12:51 PM
Yup this seems ok

Alitis007
28th March 2014, 01:56 PM
On iphone you need to register to receive notifications so i did but i can't seem to get the confirmation email. Joined their support forum but no joy there coz i can't post because no confirmation email... WTF!!!! Is it coz of my hotmail email maybe ????

I dunno....... computers are overrated

Test pic

AB
28th March 2014, 02:13 PM
Yeah same thing happened to me when registering over there too.

Alitis007
28th March 2014, 02:26 PM
Yeah same thing happened to me when registering over there too.

Coz your a forum owner can you log into their forum runner support thing and ask why ??

AB
28th March 2014, 02:28 PM
Coz your a forum owner can you log into their forum runner support thing and ask why ??

I can't log in to their forum and when I reset the password I get no email. I have emailed support and just waiting on answer bud.

Winnie
28th March 2014, 02:33 PM
I haven't tried that yet.... was gonna do it later.

Alitis007
28th March 2014, 02:42 PM
I can't log in to their forum and when I reset the password I get no email. I have emailed support and just waiting on answer bud.
I'll email them after aswell

Maxhead
28th March 2014, 02:56 PM
Mine is working OK

For push notifications to work on Android, you must be logged into the Google Apps as we use the same framework that Google uses for sending updates (such as Mail, etc)

iPhone Push Notification Activation

To activate Push Notification for Forum Runner for iPhone, follow the steps below:

Purchase the full version of Forum Runner (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/forum-runner-vbulletin/id362527234?mt=8) from the iTunes App Store
Verify that Push Notifications are enabled on your device in Settings->Notifications
Launch Forum Runner. You should be prompted to accept Push Notifications.
Touch the "Notification Settings" icon on the home screen
Choose "Create Account" and enter a user name, password, and valid e-mail you would like to use
After you submit it, an activation e-mail will be sent to your e-mail address. Click on the activation link in that e-mail to activate your account
Congratulations! Once you favorite some forums that have fully installed the Forum Runner plugin, you will get updates periodically!

Android OS Push Notification Activation

To activate Push Notification for Forum Runner for Android, follow the steps below:

Purchase the full version of Forum Runner (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.endoftime.android.forumrunner) from the Android Market
Verify that you are logged into a Google account in Settings->Accounts and Sync Settings
Launch Forum Runner.
Touch the "Notification Settings" icon on the home screen
Choose "Create Account" and enter a user name, password, and valid e-mail you would like to use
After you submit it, an activation e-mail will be sent to your e-mail address. Click on the activation link in that e-mail to activate your account
Congratulations! Once you favorite some forums that have fully installed the Forum Runner plugin, you will get updates periodically!

lhurley
28th March 2014, 03:05 PM
Wow! I am the exact opposite!! The only time I use the App is to post a pic as it's simple and easy. As a result I rarely use photobucket now.

99.9% of my time here regardless of the device is through Safari.

Teache how to post a pic from my device direct to the forum via safari and then happy days.

You can. When you want to post a pic, go to advanced settings for the comment box. Then click manage attachments. It will open a window with you uploaded attachments. To upload more, in the managed attachments screen, top right, click upload. It will open your camera roll. Select as if your using your computer.

taslucas
28th March 2014, 03:50 PM
Ok, just got forum runner. Looks good so far

oncedisturbed
28th March 2014, 04:26 PM
AB, do you still have the tapatalk API installed?

if so, just found an app (forum fiend) that I am trialling and it logs in fine so far

Sent from my GT-I9507 using Forum Fiend v1.1.7.

oncedisturbed
28th March 2014, 04:28 PM
testing with an image

http://www.forumfiend.net/uploads/images/26212.jpg

AB
28th March 2014, 06:19 PM
AB, do you still have the tapatalk API installed?

if so, just found an app (forum fiend) that I am trialling and it logs in fine so far

I've got to get rid of that unfortunately mate.

What do you think of forum runner?

oncedisturbed
28th March 2014, 06:39 PM
been a while since I used fr, this 1 is very basic. will reload fr and see how it goes

BigRAWesty
28th March 2014, 06:46 PM
Have just subscribed to notifications via Gmail and it's instant..

All set. Liking it. The ability to now do polls is good.
Haven't tried a pic yet but the range of options in the menu is wicked.
Post per page, image upload quality..

Nice one Andy. Might have a keeper..

oncedisturbed
28th March 2014, 06:48 PM
Just loaded it up and heaps better than it used to be

Bloodyaussie
28th March 2014, 06:53 PM
Testing testing 1,2 is this thing on??

Alitis007
28th March 2014, 10:10 PM
Ok guys if you don't receive the confirmation email ( like i didn't ) check you JUNK folder.......

I know i'm a goose lol!

Dhuck
29th March 2014, 02:03 AM
Still use tappacrap and like it. I don't wanna change dad

AB
29th March 2014, 06:34 AM
Still use tappacrap and like it. I don't wanna change dad

If your still using tappa then your one of the very few who still have the old code and I can actually keep that if you want but whatever you do...do not delete it. I probably wouldn't even try to update it either as the updated app won't work.

Winnie
29th March 2014, 07:44 AM
I have the updated Tappa app that works AB.

Clunk
29th March 2014, 07:48 AM
I have the updated Tappa app that works AB.

Ooooooooh look at me, I have the updated Tappa app AB......... Shutup Pooh Bwahahahaha

MC is dead to me!!!!! Bwahahahaha

Rickie3
29th March 2014, 08:44 AM
Great to see you went with FR AB, this app certainly has come a long way since its release, and will continue to get better and better with further developments, at least now mate you dont have to spend countless hours and headaches trying to code your own app :)

growler2058
29th March 2014, 08:45 AM
I can't log in to their forum and when I reset the password I get no email..

Same..........

taslucas
29th March 2014, 09:03 AM
I can only see sometimes pics.
Sometimes they're there, sometimes they're not.....

Alitis007
29th March 2014, 09:55 AM

Same.......... check your JUNK folder in your email and to log into their forum you need to creat an account. I was having a read of it yesterday and it looks like they're slow to respond. One guy said it took a month for him to receive an email back lol

Winnie
29th March 2014, 11:00 AM
Mine was in junk straight away when I tried this morning

Winnie
29th March 2014, 11:01 AM
@winnie hey can someone send me a PM to see if push notifications work. They've never worked for me on tappa or mc

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Forum Runner

growler2058
29th March 2014, 11:31 AM
@winnie done

Sent from my iPhone using my thumb

Winnie
29th March 2014, 11:55 AM
Yeah got some colourful PM's from you and Kris haha... No notifications though.

Winnie
2nd April 2014, 11:47 AM
Having the same problems with this app as what I had with Motorculture at the start. Images don't load half the time!

taslucas
2nd April 2014, 12:09 PM
Having the same problems with this app as what I had with Motorculture at the start. Images don't load half the time!

Yeah same here.

AB
2nd April 2014, 12:12 PM
Are you sure you two blokes have decent Internet though?

Winnie
2nd April 2014, 12:25 PM
I've got full 4G reception. It's awesome.

taslucas
2nd April 2014, 01:05 PM
Are you sure you two blokes have decent Internet though?

Yep either on the 4g or adsl2+ through wifi in my house.
I'm downloading at around 750kb/s on the laptop AND using my phone on the forum, Facebook and watching a few shirt vid clips

Alitis007
2nd April 2014, 03:15 PM
What quality is your picture setting set to ?? I set mine a bit higher so if my reception is a bit low its harder to load up

Winnie
2nd April 2014, 03:47 PM
The highest. That is for your uploads I'm pretty sure? I turned it right down and did not make a difference

Maxhead
2nd April 2014, 04:11 PM
Yeah, I sometimes cant view all pics...Upload is no probs.