PDA

View Full Version : Spotlights

luke28
26th March 2014, 09:34 PM
Just wondering is it legal and would it work to wire up spotlights to your headlights so they work normal & high beam

BigRAWesty
26th March 2014, 09:35 PM
No, illegal.
Your lights need to dip and dim for low beam..

Fog lights are also illegal if it's not foggy...

Bloodyaussie
26th March 2014, 09:47 PM
Just wondering is it legal and would it work to wire up spotlights to your headlights so they work normal & high beam

Why would you want to do that ??

Just wire in a relay and put a switch in... does not take long and very easy to do!!!

megatexture
26th March 2014, 10:01 PM
Not legal but can be done easily. Could be good offroad to save the power from the cruddy halogen headlights.

luke28
27th March 2014, 07:49 PM
Was just curious about it I've never done it figured it would be easy enough to wire into the head lights

the evil twin
27th March 2014, 09:06 PM
Was just curious about it I've never done it figured it would be easy enough to wire into the head lights

Its easy enough but not exactly straight forward as you need two inputs to the spotty relay, one from lo and one from hi but they need to have blocking diodes otherwise the current will flow back to the other filament and both lo and hi will illuminate at the same time regardless of your dip switch selection

Yendor
28th March 2014, 01:52 AM
It could be done by connecting the switching side of the relay to both low beam and high beam without the use of diodes.

The switching side of a relay (terminals 85 and 86) is just a coil of wire, when current passes through this coil, a magnetic field is created that closes a set of contacts. It doesn't matter which one is positive or negative the contacts will close regardless of which way the current is flowing.

When on low beam, the low beam is positive and the high beam is negative via the high beam bulb filament.

When on high beam, the high beam is positive and the low beam becomes negative via the low beam bulb filament.

If terminal 85 was connected to low beam and terminal 86 was connected to high beam. The relay would switch on if low or high beam was on and would switch off if the headlights were turned off.

Although, I'm not sure why anyone would want to do this.

luke28
28th March 2014, 02:18 AM
Not to sure about electrics dont wanna start blowing fuses and wrecking shit but also dont want spot lights on my bar not connected either ill get somebody to show me

krbrooking
28th March 2014, 03:09 AM
Could you not just wire it straight to the batt and then you wouldn't even need your lights on at all just flick the switch and off ya go, this is how I wired up my light bar. But the spotties on my bar are wired to the headlights (hi been only).

BigRAWesty
28th March 2014, 05:39 AM
You, by law, need a switch on all aftermarket lights.

So simple get a 3 pole switch, run one from the high circuit and the one from the low, switch to relay and a standard. Setup from there

Yendor
28th March 2014, 10:54 AM
You can get pre-made plug and play harness such as this one

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NARVA-CAR-WIRING-LOOM-HARNESS-DRIVING-LIGHTS-FOG-SPOT-LAMPS-12V-VOLT-KIT-74402-/300998376316?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4614e6bb7c&_uhb=1

Have a look around you might even find one cheaper.

CPOCSM
30th March 2014, 05:27 PM
I spend $99 at supercrap for a Narva spottie harness. Has everything to button in your spotlights and no cutting. Took me 30 mins from start to finish and worked first flick of the switch. All connected in to switch off when high beam is dipped. I had a pair of narva 175 spots which were on my mini of all things, since I did a lot of country driving when I lived in yass and worked in Canberra. I had to upgrade the alternator though as minis have only 50 amp alts which is very inadequate so put a Hyundai sprint 130 amp one in.

I have removed the horrid nissan alternator from the GQ and replaced it with a 130 amp Mitsubishi item from a EF fairmont ghia v8. Wiring at the auto lek cost me $60. Best thing you can do for an older patrol.

oncedisturbed
30th March 2014, 05:48 PM
Those narva kits are very strong, burnt 2 of them out at the +/- switch and they were wired properly.

Narva were stumped when I contacted them and they went through both harnesses and found they had a dodgy batch

CPOCSM
30th March 2014, 06:14 PM
Those narva kits are very strong, burnt 2 of them out at the +/- switch and they were wired properly.

Narva were stumped when I contacted them and they went through both harnesses and found they had a dodgy batch

I heard that also once and I made sure I earthed the thing properly. I chucked on three more earth straps as the patrol one is pitifully thin so I swaged up some connectors out of 500A jumper cables and connected to the block and box. Your electrical system loves that!