PDA

View Full Version : Should you out a petrol station if they sell bad fuel?

AB
5th February 2011, 08:29 PM
This is the second time I have filled up 2 different unleaded cars from a particular servo in town that has had bad fuel.

Definatly watered down fuel due to deliberate watering down or leaking tanks and has had the vehicle running EXTREMELY rough to the point I had to drain the misses tank today and refuel at the other petrol station.

I will ring the station tomorrow and advise but for future reference should other people name the servo or just take matters in their own hands and hopefully they sort their problem out.

It really bugs me that this happened the second time!!!

big_fletch
5th February 2011, 08:36 PM
Yer thats not right is it.. I think if there is a servo that continuously sells bad fuel then its fair enough to warn other people about it..
Nobody wants doggy fuel running though there motor, certianly not me

YNOT
5th February 2011, 08:37 PM
You should always bring it to the attention of the service station operators first and give them the opportunity to put things right.
Naming and shaming on forums like this opens the forum to possible litigation, but if you have given the operators a chance to sort things out and they don't, and you have credible evidence (a fuel sample) then I don't see any harm in warning other people.

Tony

Woof
5th February 2011, 08:45 PM
I agree with Tony on this one, do not post the name of the service station but inform them, could end up in a lot of trouble.
If they don't take any action then let the fuel company know about it, the fuel company may want to check the sample, but make sure that you have a few extra samples in case the one that the fuel company gets goes missing.

AB
5th February 2011, 08:50 PM
For sure guys!

Unfortunately I will never go back there again but will still let them know about the issue.

The first issue happened about a month ago, car ran rough, lawnmower, brush cutter and chainsaw would not start either and had to clean everything, re fuel and start again.

Thought I would try one more time this morning but same old problem!

big_fletch
5th February 2011, 08:54 PM
That is also true Tony, My father worked in a servo down on morning peninsula, they were selling bad fuel at that time.. My father alerted the manager who knew (and didnt care) about it.. Turns out the Actual owner of the servo didnt know anything about it..
I would ring the owner of the servo, let them know and see what happens from there

patch697
5th February 2011, 11:09 PM
OK just a bit of incite on fuel storage......

Most all underground fuel storage tanks have water in them.

As fuel is lighter than water the fuel floats on to of it & when the tanks are having fuel level checked (manually dipped) a paste is used on the bottom of the dip stick which reacts to the water to check its level & before the water level in the tank gets to an unsafe height its pumped out.

It is common knowledge in the industry & normally quite safe to the consumer as a rule but! If the water levels are not properly managed this can lead to problems.

Some thing to keep in mind when fueling up:

1/ If a fuel (not gas) tanker is parked in a servo go to the next one to get your fuel....... When fuel is being pumped into the underground tanks it stirs up the tank & it needs to be left for about 20 to 30 mins to settle again (this is even more so with diesel)

2/ Try & avid fueling up on extremely wet days or right after a heavy rain....... If an underground tank has seepage problems, this is a likely time for fuel to become contaminated.

3/ Try & pick a servo that gets plenty of use as these servos will need regular delivery's & the water levels in the tank are normally well maintained (the drivers that deliver the fuel have to check this as well)

Cheers
Paul

patch697
5th February 2011, 11:13 PM
AB did you keep the fuel you drained out??????

MQ MAD
6th February 2011, 08:31 AM
Had a bad batch at the local just after the big rain in QLD
Didnt effect the GQ much,just used a bit more Ks/L
Like mid 20L/100Ks isnt bad enuf

I generally fuel up at fuel stations that have high traffic volume
Maybe patchy is onto something

AB
6th February 2011, 07:55 PM
AB did you keep the fuel you drained out??????

Hi mate, yes I kept some of the fuel still.

patch697
6th February 2011, 09:01 PM
Hi mate, yes I kept some of the fuel still.

Brilliant..... You will need it.

Now This is up to you but you can go back with a sample & explain what as happened & asked to be reimbursed for your fuel & offer them the sample to send away to get tested.

Tip: Keep some for yourself as well.

If thay play hardball with you then explain you are prepared to take the sample to there fuel supplier & have them sort it out, which thay will do. Also add you are prepared to take this to small claims for the full expense of your Mechanic draining the contaminated fuel, flush the tank & system, replace all fuel filters & have the injectors cleaned as a result.... (That normally gets there attention).

As I said its up to you what you decide to do here old mate I am just giving you some options.

Finly Owner
6th February 2011, 09:35 PM
OK just a bit of incite on fuel storage......

Most all underground fuel storage tanks have water in them.

As fuel is lighter than water the fuel floats on to of it & when the tanks are having fuel level checked (manually dipped) a paste is used on the bottom of the dip stick which reacts to the water to check its level & before the water level in the tank gets to an unsafe height its pumped out.

It is common knowledge in the industry & normally quite safe to the consumer as a rule but! If the water levels are not properly managed this can lead to problems.

Some thing to keep in mind when fueling up:

1/ If a fuel (not gas) tanker is parked in a servo go to the next one to get your fuel....... When fuel is being pumped into the underground tanks it stirs up the tank & it needs to be left for about 20 to 30 mins to settle again (this is even more so with diesel)

2/ Try & avid fueling up on extremely wet days or right after a heavy rain....... If an underground tank has seepage problems, this is a likely time for fuel to become contaminated.

3/ Try & pick a servo that gets plenty of use as these servos will need regular delivery's & the water levels in the tank are normally well maintained (the drivers that deliver the fuel have to check this as well)

Cheers
Paul

I was going to say to look out for heavily rained in servos for water in fuel but you have been on the ball here.