PDA

View Full Version : Tighten your nuts!!!!!

liftlid
24th March 2014, 02:34 PM
This is why you need to regularly check every nut and bolt.
I've been chasing a semi regular rattle in the rear end and had been thinking it was the tail shaft, yep I was wrong!
This is the upper mount of the trailing arm above the aux fuel tank.
Any ideas how to fix?422964229742298

04OFF
24th March 2014, 02:36 PM
Bugger, how long has it been rattling ?

threedogs
24th March 2014, 02:38 PM
wow did it chop ot the rubber then rattle loose , looks like a easy enough fix if you have a welder,
might just need a longer bolt, thanks for sharing
to fix fully weld a plate over it with the hole on both sides

liftlid
24th March 2014, 02:53 PM
Bush slid in arm but ok, bolt just seems to have worked loose, been chasing rattle about 6 months as it didn't do it constantly 42299
Gotta work out where the original hole was first then cut a plate, if put on the outside the holes are that big that the bush won't tighten when the bolts done up.

threedogs
24th March 2014, 02:55 PM
might need to cut out the old hole some how and reweld some fresh steel in place

lhurley
24th March 2014, 03:48 PM
Get a mate to do up a template for the plate? or use their car to mock it up.

BigRAWesty
24th March 2014, 05:31 PM
Weld in washers and a longer bolt.
If all other points are good I'd bolt it all up, tack on the washes, remove the arm as so you don't melt the bush and weld em up...

Parksy
24th March 2014, 05:35 PM
Drill it out with the next size up drill bit or two, and do the same to the bush. Won't need to remove much. Then get a new bolt to suit. Stronger and easiest option.

Punderhead
24th March 2014, 05:47 PM
Drill it out with the next size up drill bit or two, and do the same to the bush. Won't need to remove much. Then get a new bolt to suit. Stronger and easiest option.

Drilling out the bush isn't the best option. Most have a steel sleeve and drilling it out could cause it to collapse. Also if the bush flogs out and you find a replacement bush. But can't drill said replacement bush out, your screwed.

As westy said, weld washers on and use a longer bolt

cheers

Parksy
24th March 2014, 07:35 PM
Looking at the top pic with the bolt sitting in the hole, I didn't realise just how big the hole actually is.

Instead of a washer, go to your local hardware store and source some cheap 1/4" steel off cuts to use instead. Or maybe even find some square tube steel and cut into a small section with one off the sides cut off, to make a U shape and fit that from the front, over the mount, then welded in place, if that makes sense? Just some ideas...

NissanGQ4.2
24th March 2014, 07:49 PM
Sorry can't offer a solution 2 a fix other then what Kallen has already suggested

Have you check you radius arm bracket on the front diff lately, seems like a pretty common one 2 flog out as well :(

Fozzee63
24th March 2014, 08:33 PM
Westy has it by the balls - Welding a washer on. This is a good fix, Easy, fast and strong.

MudRunnerTD
24th March 2014, 08:53 PM
Looks used Gary!!

liftlid
25th March 2014, 08:49 AM
Looks used Gary!!

And abused,
I don't think the option of welding on washers will work well in this case as the hole is big enough to allow the bush to slop side to side when bolted up, I'm currently thinking I will have to replace the plate in the mount, thinking I will slice up an old sleeve to get bolt hole size, bolt on to either end of an old bush and weld it into hole, just need to make sure hole is in correct location, yay welding on my back again that's always fun!

trevbob
26th March 2014, 10:40 AM
Had a shocker top mount flog out when nut came loose, was on the old Hilux. Welded washer in place and still going strong for another 100,000 ks. So I would go for thick washers or steel plate welded in place and the longer bolt.
Cheers,
Trev

liftlid
26th March 2014, 10:56 AM
Had a shocker top mount flog out when nut came loose, was on the old Hilux. Welded washer in place and still going strong for another 100,000 ks. So I would go for thick washers or steel plate welded in place and the longer bolt.
Cheers,
Trev

Thanks for your advice that's what I thought I would do before I got the tank out and realised how big the holes had become, if I weld washers on the out side of the existing bracket I will then have a cavity of about 6 mm ish that the steel bush would be able to slop about in possibly causing further problems, it's not like a shock which is sandwiched between the 2 rubber bushes.

threedogs
26th March 2014, 11:24 AM
If you can get around to myplace I'll weld in a piece
of steel to fill the hole then just drill a new hole to suit.
Its a bit of mucking around though

liftlid
28th March 2014, 04:52 PM
Thanks for the offer, that's what I've done to fix here's a pic of the template of the hole behind the bracket 42476

liftlid
29th March 2014, 02:42 PM
Update, holes repaired now to put back together

liftlid
31st March 2014, 01:35 PM
Final update all back together and taken for a test run and what a difference it makes, most of the little clunks I thought were other things have gone as well, and back end seems tighter?
If you hear a rattle that sounds like a loose chain, check the rear bolts.
Thanks for the advice

Winnie
31st March 2014, 01:54 PM
Was this in your wagon?

liftlid
31st March 2014, 01:58 PM
Was this in your wagon?

Yes, got body rubbers to do next

Winnie
31st March 2014, 02:02 PM
How many jumps did it take to do this damage?

liftlid
31st March 2014, 02:59 PM
How many jumps did it take to do this damage?

About 630000 km's worth!

threedogs
31st March 2014, 02:59 PM
Final update all back together and taken for a test run and what a difference it makes, most of the little clunks I thought were other things have gone as well, and back end seems tighter?
If you hear a rattle that sounds like a loose chain, check the rear bolts.
Thanks for the advice

Good to see you got it sorted

arra
4th April 2014, 10:03 PM
If you are going to just weld washers over the elongated hole that big, you are always going to have problems. The sleeve in the middle of the bush must have enough clamping pressure on it. The holes look way to big.
I would go to the trouble of cutting it off and welding on another one.

liftlid
6th April 2014, 08:24 AM
If you are going to just weld washers over the elongated hole that big, you are always going to have problems. The sleeve in the middle of the bush must have enough clamping pressure on it. The holes look way to big.
I would go to the trouble of cutting it off and welding on another one.

Didn't just weld washers in, felt the same as you that it might not work so sleeves welded in, if I had a junk chassis I would have cut off bracket. Thanks