PDA

View Full Version : Accommodation on the track

apalsson
22nd March 2014, 06:52 PM
We are trying to set ourselves up for Outback travel again and also learn a bit from our previous experience.
Because we have been away from the Outback touring scene for some 7 - 8 years, we realise a lot has changed and what was the norm then may not be today.
We are also some 8 years older than we were then, even though I seriously doubt we are 8 years wiser :)
At the tender age of 55 plus, we don't relish the idea of sleeping on the roof rack, tent or not :)

We are planning a Corner Country trip in August (solo) and want to be as self sufficient as possible without completely breaking the bank. One of the options is accommodation while travelling. We used to have an Ultimate Offroad Camper but got sick of all the hype surrounding them and also the limitations of canvas vs rain vs heat vs cold. I am also completely unable to see how they can be worth the $50k+ they are demanding for them (after all, they are a just tent on a 6x4, albeit a fibreglass 6x4 :210: )

Today, we had a look at a 13.5' caravan, a Jayco StarCraft in what they call "Outback" package. They have independent trailing arm suspension, full Solar and batteries plus some creature comforts.
Admittedly, the dealer was asking some $32k for it but we are wondering how well these would go. While the Ultimate was some 750Kg Tare weight, this thing is only 1050Kg Tare which is amazing given it's a relatively high wall pop-top with an aircon, watertanks, TV, 90L fridge, Queen size bed plus a lot more.

Does anyone here have experience with these or similar caravans on reasonably easy Outback tracks? Are they likely to rattle apart on the first 100kms of corrugated tracks like the Outback is well known for.
The trip in August looks like it will consist of Broken Hill to Tiboburra to Cameron Corner through to Innamincka, Birdsville and then down Birdsville track to the Flinders and back home. Hoping to spend 3 - 4 weeks on this trip so any creature comforts we can allow ourselves will be highly appreciated by my much better half!

Any constructive feedback/idea would be appreciated

MudRunnerTD
22nd March 2014, 07:08 PM
As long as you keep your expectations of the Jayco real it will perform well in that environment. I would not tow it across the Anne Bidell though ;)

For what you want to do there is actually quite a large range of Vans fit for purpose (baby boomers booming market) not sure on the price but would expect it to be competitive.

Good luck with your travels.

There are a few caravan and Grey Nomad forums around that would have PLENTY of good and constructive advice regarding Vans and the Outback.

Regards MR

TPC
22nd March 2014, 07:17 PM
We are trying to set ourselves up for Outback travel again and also learn a bit from our previous experience.
Because we have been away from the Outback touring scene for some 7 - 8 years, we realise a lot has changed and what was the norm then may not be today.
We are also some 8 years older than we were then, even though I seriously doubt we are 8 years wiser :)
At the tender age of 55 plus, we don't relish the idea of sleeping on the roof rack, tent or not :)

We are planning a Corner Country trip in August (solo) and want to be as self sufficient as possible without completely breaking the bank. One of the options is accommodation while travelling. We used to have an Ultimate Offroad Camper but got sick of all the hype surrounding them and also the limitations of canvas vs rain vs heat vs cold. I am also completely unable to see how they can be worth the $50k+ they are demanding for them (after all, they are a just tent on a 6x4, albeit a fibreglass 6x4 :210: )

Today, we had a look at a 13.5' caravan, a Jayco StarCraft in what they call "Outback" package. They have independent trailing arm suspension, full Solar and batteries plus some creature comforts.
Admittedly, the dealer was asking some $32k for it but we are wondering how well these would go. While the Ultimate was some 750Kg Tare weight, this thing is only 1050Kg Tare which is amazing given it's a relatively high wall pop-top with an aircon, watertanks, TV, 90L fridge, Queen size bed plus a lot more.

Does anyone here have experience with these or similar caravans on reasonably easy Outback tracks? Are they likely to rattle apart on the first 100kms of corrugated tracks like the Outback is well known for.
The trip in August looks like it will consist of Broken Hill to Tiboburra to Cameron Corner through to Innamincka, Birdsville and then down Birdsville track to the Flinders and back home. Hoping to spend 3 - 4 weeks on this trip so any creature comforts we can allow ourselves will be highly appreciated by my much better half!

Any constructive feedback/idea would be appreciated
G'day apalsson, I have travelled the tracks you are talking about and the condition can vary dramatically.
I have travelled when the tracks are smooth as and would happily take a caravan but have also travelled after floods when they have banned trailers.

I have never taken a caravan any of those places but followed a jayco carava through the simpson (would not recommend that).

Not sure what experience Bob has.

the evil twin
22nd March 2014, 07:51 PM
Google is your friend...
Jayco are NOT a serious off road van BUT if you avoid murdering it in adverse conditions IE you are prepared to turn back when conditions dictate or take a formed road as needed then there are heaps of happy owners out there.
AFAIK the chassis and suspension are proving OK but the standard of fitout/protection/finish is still pretty poor.
Most owners are spending a fair amount of time and a bit of cash esp underneath to protect plumbing, wiring etc and ferret out warranty fix ups on shoddy workmanship.
After that everyone seems happy enough.

I'm also shopping around and have discarded the Jayco's mainly because where I want to go I think the Chasssis and Suspension will make it but the body and gear won't.

I am of the opinion they are reasonable value for money esp if you sink a bit of time and effort into them

apalsson
22nd March 2014, 08:58 PM
Google is your friend...
Jayco are NOT a serious off road van BUT if you avoid murdering it in adverse conditions IE you are prepared to turn back when conditions dictate or take a formed road as needed then there are heaps of happy owners out there.
AFAIK the chassis and suspension are proving OK but the standard of fitout/protection/finish is still pretty poor.
Most owners are spending a fair amount of time and a bit of cash esp underneath to protect plumbing, wiring etc and ferret out warranty fix ups on shoddy workmanship.
After that everyone seems happy enough.

I'm also shopping around and have discarded the Jayco's mainly because where I want to go I think the Chasssis and Suspension will make it but the body and gear won't.

I am of the opinion they are reasonable value for money esp if you sink a bit of time and effort into them

Thanks guys, your input is valuable and very much in line with what I have experienced.
We towed our Ultimate across this entire area, back and forth as well as to some places where some people hesitate take their Patrols on their own !
While I'm not much of a Jayco fan and never been one, I was after something that will handle the easy tracks. The centre is full of those in good weather conditions.
I personally don't think there is such a thing as an "offroad caravan". At the last show I went to everyone was proudly showing off 3 Ton blocks of steel making you wonder what sort of tow vehicle would even drag it up a slight incline, let alone "offroading". The marketing of those is full of hype, bad enough to turn away a lot of people, including myself. Not to mention the common $70k-plus price tag

Jayco seem to have done a lot of work improving the interior, using alu profiles instead of the stapled wood panels which is probably both lighter and stronger.
The one I'm looking at right now is a 13.5foot and weighs meter 1050Kg tare. That is only around 250Kg more than my old Ultimate weighed.

I admit back then, I got jack of canvas, opening, closing, drying, sweating and shivering. There really never seemed to be the right day to really enjoy the accommodation after a long day of hard driving
This van is around $30k where the Ultimate is $50k plus