PDA

View Full Version : Kids sleeping / camping gear

BigRAWesty
22nd March 2014, 02:22 PM
Well we are searching but finding limited gear for sleeping, especially bedding.

We pick up this morning kids bags. -5 rated so that's that sorted.
$70 each but hopefully it'll see them out till double figures..

We're looking at the bedding..
The only thing we can find in a kids size is a 3cm thick self inflating thing @$70 each...
I'd prefer an air bed for em, a bit more comfortable imo..

But what do you guys use??

We have a space limit, in use and packed away..

MudRunnerTD
22nd March 2014, 02:32 PM
Mate kids don't need a big mattress. Zach sleeps on a 3/4 length Thermorest. Maybe 20mm thick when rolled out. He has never to this day complained that it was uncomfortable. Kids are light mate. Not big fat pr1cks like me and ....... Well me ;)

oncedisturbed
22nd March 2014, 02:34 PM
We use the 4wd mats for us and munchkin. Also have the basic foam mats and thermarests as well if needed.

gaddy
22nd March 2014, 02:41 PM
We have a couple of daneli self inflating mats for the kids they love them ,

Clunk
22nd March 2014, 02:45 PM
We use a Couple of stretchers for the kids which can be turned into bunks, which were given to us by Mr & Mrs Possum and got a couple of adult -10 degrees sleeping bags for $60 for the 2 from eBay.
We generally just fold up a couple of fleasy blankets to lay over the top of the stretchers for a bit more comfort.
For the young boy we just use the foam mattress from the portacot and a few fleasy blankets.

P4trol
22nd March 2014, 04:21 PM
I find the kids will sleep wherever they get comfortable - if that's not on a huge air mattress, then they don't sleep on it - it's a waste. We sometimes sleep I'm motels, and they prefer to sleep on the floor in preference to the bed. I find the foam rolls good for marking their territory. This helps stop arguments over what is 'their territory' amongst siblings.

Just bought some $20 sleeping bags they couldn't sell after Australia day. Not minus rated, but it's not that cold here at night yet.

BigRAWesty
22nd March 2014, 04:27 PM
Cheers guys..

Well the bags are a hit...

We'll hunt around for some self inflating style ones.
The shop is a wee bit expensive..
That rug is quite high pile so I'll aim for the 3cm ones..

I guess I was looking for air beds for the packed down size of f all.. These kids bags are 1/3 the size of adults bags, and being a pure out the back of the car setup space is everything..

I'm glad we don't have to drag the porta-cot around anymore.
Well for the meantime... :o

BigRAWesty
22nd March 2014, 04:33 PM
We use a Couple of stretchers for the kids which can be turned into bunks, which were given to us by Mr & Mrs Possum and got a couple of adult -10 degrees sleeping bags for $60 for the 2 from eBay.
We generally just fold up a couple of fleasy blankets to lay over the top of the stretchers for a bit more comfort.
For the young boy we just use the foam mattress from the portacot and a few fleasy blankets.

We did look at stretcher beds, but again space in the tent is scarce.. Atleast with a mattress of some sort you can still walk on em..

Once the girls are a little older we'll probably grab bunks..

AB
22nd March 2014, 04:40 PM
Good thread I'm just about to invest in one for Mia but will take a fold up portacot for the new arrival!

threedogs
22nd March 2014, 06:12 PM
Hi Kallen air mattresses suck up too much cold from the ground, as MR suggests a 3/4 length self inflator would be the go
you don't need a mattress for your feet.
Other wise you'll need a roof rack just for sleeping stuff

MudRunnerTD
22nd March 2014, 06:14 PM
Good thread I'm just about to invest in one for Mia but will take a fold up portacot for the new arrival!

Hey AB bugger the Portacot mate!! We bought one of these for the little one and it is Awesome!! It was so good we were selling them on eBay for a while. Not sure if we have any left though other than our one. Leave it with me.

SIMPLY AWESOME!!! Over nighters, in the camper trailer, it zips up to stop mozzies and them wandering, has a built in self inflating mattress. Wicked

MudRunnerTD
22nd March 2014, 06:16 PM
eBay has some great deals on self inflating mattresses and also wait for the sales at Anaconda or BCF or Rays. Also ALDI is your friend.

AB
22nd March 2014, 06:19 PM
Hey AB bugger the Portacot mate!! We bought one of these for the little one and it is Awesome!! It was so good we were selling them on eBay for a while. Not sure if we have any left though other than our one. Leave it with me.

SIMPLY AWESOME!!! Over nighters, in the camper trailer, it zips up to stop mozzies and them wandering, has a built in self inflating mattress. Wicked

Does it have handles so you can carry around?

Looks good mate!

BigRAWesty
22nd March 2014, 06:23 PM
eBay has some great deals on self inflating mattresses and also wait for the sales at Anaconda or BCF or Rays. Also ALDI is your friend.

Don't have aldi... :(

And we always did wonder about those porta cots.

MudRunnerTD
22nd March 2014, 06:24 PM
Does it have handles so you can carry around?

Looks good mate!

It's a dome tent so you would just pick it up and move it around no trouble. We also have a little fold up thing she could sit in (when she can support her own head) that we used to use camping which was great for sitting around camp. We used it at Port Fairy Folk Festival and people commented on it all the time! Sold a few of them too. ;)

AB
22nd March 2014, 06:34 PM
Keen to buy one if you got one mate.

The misses wants to buy this..lol

I ain't setting that up though!

Drewboyaus
22nd March 2014, 06:41 PM
We use the Aldi self inflating mats for the kids.....good as gold and cheap as....
Wife and I use Black Wolf MegaDeluxe self inflaters.....10cm thick, comfy, insulated (I use them for camping in snow)....not cheap though.

firm351
22nd March 2014, 07:48 PM
That looks awesome mate, we carted a port a cot across oz and back, what a pain in the arse setting that up every night and takes up too much bloody room. If you still have more than 1 left i would be interested in buying 1 off you mate.

Paul.

Clunk
22nd March 2014, 09:17 PM
Anaconda have a sale on again at the moment, so if your looking for a self inflating mattress, I'd go there.

happygu
22nd March 2014, 09:48 PM
As TD said, self inflating mats with the internal foam will keep the kids much warmer (and yourselves too, as they form an insulating layer between you and the ground ) Air beds will transfer the cold from the ground to the sleeping bag as the air is the only insulator, and will feel heaps colder, and that isnt nice when it is 0 outside.This can be fixed by carrying woollen blankets and or space blankets to place under the airbed, and sometimes on top as well

Mic

BigRAWesty
22nd March 2014, 10:12 PM
Thanks guys.

Will start looking for self inflating
Edit- Dunno why that pics come up again..