PDA

View Full Version : Insurance renewal

Wizard52
21st March 2014, 05:56 PM
Hi All

About to pay renewal of comprehensive cover of $593.70 for agreed value of $33997 with RACQ insurance.

Last year premium was similar but agreed value was about $40,000 which was closer to the replacement mark for all the extras. It is 2006 DX coil cab with custom canopy, solar panel, autron boost/egt gauge + usual dual battery, 2" lift with air bags, snorkel, 3" exhaust, bull bar, tow bar, HID spotlights, winch VMS nav system all in near perfect condition.

Underwriters refuse to budge on agreed value so have to shop around for better deal.

Has anyone recently insured their Patrol for higher price and who with and what was premium?

cheers

Peter

Stropp
21st March 2014, 06:12 PM
try shannons, mine is insured anywhere in oz for 43k i think its about $489 from memory but i am an old fart who always behaves :smileyvault-cute-bi

kevin07
21st March 2014, 10:24 PM
try shannons, mine is insured anywhere in oz for 43k i think its about $489 from memory but i am an old fart who always behaves :smileyvault-cute-bi

how do you get prices like that the guy at shannons I spoke to stopped asking for extras when his policy got to 2700 wtf is going on

Avo
21st March 2014, 10:59 PM
When I'm up for insurance I'm going to give these guys a go. http://www.affinityib.com.au/Insurance-Products-4WD-Insurance
typre in the extra's on my gq with there camping gear included they'll insure it for 20 grand for about 1200 a yr I think the quote I got.

Stropp
21st March 2014, 11:27 PM
how do you get prices like that the guy at shannons I spoke to stopped asking for extras when his policy got to 2700 wtf is going on

Mate I'm 61 and a very responsible driver ;) I was with affinity but this year when the price hit $1400 for 43k I rang around but I also have now my TE50 and Harley with them so get a reduced price.

Drewboyaus
21st March 2014, 11:44 PM
I'm with Shannon's. Agreed value on my TB42 GQ for $15k is about $700pa.....
Great customer service too.

Bush Ranger
22nd March 2014, 09:57 AM
I`m with Shannons and paid around $514 for my GU of agreed value of $15700 I think it was.

NewDan
22nd March 2014, 10:15 AM
Im with AAMI, rating 1, 45 years old. $1440 for agreed value of 43,500. The extras I have on the truck put the premium so high. ie: It was the chip, exhaust etc that made it so high.
Dan

Tonks
22nd March 2014, 01:06 PM
Mines with AAMI, 2004 GU111 4.2 TD Wagon, Agreed value $ 44,000.
Also has windscreen cover with no excess & hire car of $ 15 per day for upto 10 days.
Full comprehensive cover for $ 850 for 12months.
If i take off the Windscreen & Hire Car options it would be $ 729 for 12months.

Wizard52
22nd March 2014, 02:44 PM
Just rang Shannons and they are not interested in even giving a quote as I am not an "enthusiast" or member of a motor sport club. Will try else where.

Hodge
22nd March 2014, 02:48 PM
You blokes with AAMI and such. Did you ask how you're covered in case of an "off road" accident? If at all ?

Wizard52
22nd March 2014, 03:24 PM
You blokes with AAMI and such. Did you ask how you're covered in case of an "off road" accident? If at all ?

Good point.

So far on line search shows NRMA cheapest but still only $35880 agreed value.
Will make phone calls on Monday as policy is due on Monday.

firm351
22nd March 2014, 05:22 PM
I'm with AAMI, agreed value $42500 for $525 per year.

AAMI tells me that i am covered anywhere in oz as long as its legal to be there. Saying that i'm not 100% convinced they wouldn't try weasel out of it some how.

Hodge
22nd March 2014, 05:29 PM
I'm with AAMI, agreed value $42500 for $525 per year.

AAMI tells me that i am covered anywhere in oz as long as its legal to be there. Saying that i'm not 100% convinced they wouldn't try weasel out of it some how.

It's how their business works. They will attempt to weasel out of any payment as best as they can.
I rang around today asking this question. Most said, the same. As long as you're on legal ground, you're safe. Private properties do not count. So if I come to your large backyard to do some 4x4-ing and crash, I'm in strife.
So far RACV, AMMI Allianz, do not want to know me as soon as I mentioned upgraded exhaust and larger tyres than standard. I'm happy to pay a larger premium for these additions, but they just aren't interested.

Drewboyaus
22nd March 2014, 06:48 PM
Just rang Shannons and they are not interested in even giving a quote as I am not an "enthusiast" or member of a motor sport club. Will try else where.

That's bollocks! I'd call them again. I've never been asked anything like that. I just asked them if they would insure modified vehicle and accessories and they said yes.....
Must've got a 'Yota driver on the phone....

SonOf
22nd March 2014, 08:40 PM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?22069-Insurance

Earlier discussion on insurance. I went with DGA for a good rate for a value of 21k for my 99 gu plus extras and insured for off road

Bush Ranger
24th March 2014, 10:02 AM

Tell them that you are always enthusiastic about 4WDing. Here are a few ideas. You are on nissanpatrol.com.au forum(s), you probably read 4WD magazines too, probably go to 4WD shows, you may even have a few friends that go out 4WDing from time to time and have been thinking of joining a 4WD club.

When I had my motor bike insured with them, they asked me if I`m an enthusiast and I told them that I get excited every time I get on my bike, I read motorcycle magazines (Classic Bikes, Two Wheels, Motorcycle Trader), ride with a few blokes in town, which I was doing at the time. That was enough for them to insure the bike. My 4WD was added to the insurance, as I had an existing insurance with them. I`d be inclined to give them another go and mention that you are on this forum, as it may help you out to get insurance. I`m not saying to bull dung to them, just state the truth that you get on here and any other relevant information.

Wizard52
24th March 2014, 06:18 PM
After much ringing around, NRMA will do agreed value for $38600 (maximum amount any one else would agree to as well) with 14 day hire car and $800 excess for $545 a year and if I move house and contents or the boats, there will be another 10% discount next year.
Advised that I am covered off road if it is legal to be there. Will read the policy details with interest when it arrives in mail and advise.
Quotes varied from over $1200 for $36000 agreed value down to the $545. Obviously pays to shop around.
Off to Lake Boondooma up near Proston for long weekend although it may be better staying here and chasing a barra as one of the fishing club members caught one 114cm on Friday night not far from the boat ramp.

Hodge
24th March 2014, 06:22 PM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?22069-Insurance

Earlier discussion on insurance. I went with DGA for a good rate for a value of 21k for my 99 gu plus extras and insured for off road

I rang these guys today. Bloody good deal, and a custom offroad insurance too. Over the phone it seemed like mods were no issue. Almost sounded too good to be true.
Will keep shopping but these guys are clear winners so far.

lhurley
24th March 2014, 07:23 PM
I'm with aami, been pretty good thus far. Only had to claim hail and that was no issue, just the crap assessors they send you too that are hopeless.

When I was looking for quotes, a couple straight out said no, just car was about $3k a year, aami ended up being the cheapest. Tried to screw me with the renewal but I called and it came to a $ or 2 more then before. Doesn't help I'm 22 either.

Wizard52
9th April 2014, 02:35 PM

Hi all

Just read PDS and policy document from NRMA.
Page 60 of PDS lists the usual exclusions eg
driver or passenger being wilfil or reckless
vehicle or anything it was towing was-in unsafe condition, being towed illegally, exceeds no passengers or load limits recommended by manufacturer.
vehicle being used for-illegal manner or purpose, illegally used to carry or store explosives, flammable or combustible substances or liquids, race, rally, trial,test or similar.
There were many other exclusions but the one that got my attention was-loss or damage caused by or arising from-- faulty design or workmanship or repairs by someone else. This really opens a can of worms when we have modified our vehicles in any way from standard without an engineers certificate eg home made canopy or dual battery brackets or self installation of bullbars and winches etc.
When I asked where in policy does it state where vehicle is covered (off road, on the beach etc),I was advised that it is not stated in policy anywhere but I am definitely covered any where in Australia as long as it is legal to be there.(2 different phone calls) As proof of this, I was give the operators ID and date and time of call to confirm this advice in the recorded phone call.
Obviously there are many loopholes for insurance companies to get out of paying a claim.
Probably best advice is to treat insurance policy like a hand winch. Have one but do everything possible to never have to use it