PDA

View Full Version : Water on passenger floor

statok
21st March 2014, 11:47 AM
Hey fellas.

I have noticed of the last few days i have been getting water on the passenger front floor?

Has this got something to do with the AC?

Any info would be much appreciated

Stropp
21st March 2014, 11:56 AM
could be ac drain pipe but if its been raining i could almost bet my lefty that its coming through the rubber bung on the firewall where the wiring comes into the cabin, silicone the crap out of it and it will soon be apparent.

statok
21st March 2014, 12:04 PM
Hey mate. Cheers for that. But its a fair mount of water? When the patrol is running u can see a puddle of water under the car. Someone has suggested the ac condenser could be cracked????

happygu
21st March 2014, 04:07 PM
Hey mate. Cheers for that. But its a fair mount of water? When the patrol is running u can see a puddle of water under the car. Someone has suggested the ac condenser could be cracked????

What colour is the water?
How old is the truck?
Has it been raining heaps?

If you have water dripping under the truck out of a rubber tube on the firewall I don't think it is the AC, as this is the drain that drops the water out from the cab, through the firewall and onto the ground, and there isn't usually heaps of water.

It can come from a poorly sealed windscreen, your heater core, wiring through the firewall - so there is a few different sources.....

mudnut
21st March 2014, 04:48 PM
I had water leaking in where the replacement windscreen glass had too much cut from the corner radius.

Stropp
21st March 2014, 05:50 PM
easiest way to check is to hop in the car and get someone to hose the front window all over and have the floor mat pulled up and with a torch get down on the passenger side and see where its coming from, still think it may be coming thru the firewall, the puddle may also be from a loose bung in the floor. Have you pulled the carpet up on that side to see if all the bungs are there.

statok
21st March 2014, 07:45 PM
I have had a new windscreen out in a few months ago. The only wiring i have done recently is the gme

Pokey
21st March 2014, 07:58 PM
put some plastic down in the foot well then run the engine static and ac. see if it gets wet. Do it in a garage or car port if you can. Then you will know if its a heater core or hose maybe

statok
23rd March 2014, 03:14 PM
I went for a big day out on the tracks yesterday and the floor is socked on passenger side. Smells like coolant???

Were could it be coming from?

threedogs
23rd March 2014, 03:51 PM
That would be your heater core leaking or a cracked/loose hose
I'd be checking water level in the radiator, if correct you could over heat

Stropp
23rd March 2014, 08:45 PM
Def agree with TD if it smells like coolant it will be a heater hose or split heater core more than likely, as he said check coolant level as if it is coolant it has to be down.

Wine_maker
24th March 2014, 01:55 AM
I hope that you don't have the situation like mine

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?24373-Cooler-on-the-floor

finger cross!

statok
24th March 2014, 12:39 PM
Might be a stupid question but what hose am i looking for? How is the water getting in if the radiator is at the front of the car?

statok
24th March 2014, 12:41 PM
I hope its not that! wine_maker

happygu
24th March 2014, 01:11 PM
Might be a stupid question but what hose am i looking for? How is the water getting in if the radiator is at the front of the car?

Statok,

Your car's heater uses the Coolant from the engine to make heat in the car, so there are a couple of water system hoses which go into connections at the firewall, which then take the coolant through the heater core inside the main Heater Case under the dash - it looks like a mini radiator as that is what it is, but it works in reverse to your car radiator by creating heat instead of removing heat, and if it has corroded, or got a hole in it, unfortunately you will need to remove most of the dash to get to it ...

First of all you can confirm it is coolant by checking your coolant levels - if your coolant is dropping and you don't know where, then this may be the cause.
If this is happening, you can then take the hose connections off the firewall, and join them together in a loop so it bypasses the heater core, to see if things dry up for you, and this will then confirm your problem for you....

Mic

Wine_maker
24th March 2014, 05:07 PM
How often do you really use heater in Australia?
I use it since November till March.

happygu
24th March 2014, 05:21 PM
Alexander,

In the north of Australia, the kids ask questions like ..... Dad, what do these buttons do and why does that dial go to red when you turn it clockwise, ..... when they look at the heater controls .....

In Tasmania, they dont even have AC as an option when they buy a new car ....:tease:

Mic

alexx
24th March 2014, 11:35 PM
If youll find water even if it didnt rain, then most likely its an A/C matter. It could be a drainage problem, try to check if the rubber seal of the short drain pipe that protrudes towards the engine bay is still there or not. If its there, inspect if worn out. Drained water could be returning back to the cabin thru the pipe's perimeter specially when running state. Air pushes back the dripping water forcibly.

One remedy is to put a rubber hose, about 8 inches, to the end of the drain pipe. This will extend the pipe so that water gets drain a bit further and lower thereby preventing the condensed water to back flow.

the best remedy is to replace the worn out rubber seal.

Pokey
25th March 2014, 12:12 AM
Hey Mick....bit of standard Tassie weather for you :-)42319

Pokey
25th March 2014, 12:14 AM
Alexx - that wont smell like coolant. I'd definitely be checking the heater hoses Firstly then the heater core. Had it happen in hilux previously

Wine_maker
25th March 2014, 04:43 AM
Alexander,

In the north of Australia, the kids ask questions like ..... Dad, what do these buttons do and why does that dial go to red when you turn it clockwise, ..... when they look at the heater controls .....

In Tasmania, they dont even have AC as an option when they buy a new car ....:tease:

Mic

Great! In this case if it is coolant (I hope it is not) just loop the system before the firewall under the bonnet and this will solve the problem forever!

happygu
25th March 2014, 09:48 AM
Hey Mick....bit of standard Tassie weather for you :-)42319

I was joking ...... I love Tassie, and the weather has always been fantastic every time I go there .... although there was this one time in Hobart where the snow was falling outside my window in the middle of town ... that was cold .....:shivering:

My point to Alexander was crudely demonstrated and offensive to all Tasmanians I know... :coffeetime:, but was intended to enlighten Alexander as he is in a totally different climate, in that the temperatures here in Australia vary a lot - and the heater definitely gets used down in the Southern States for around half a year.

Mic

alexx
29th March 2014, 08:12 PM
It only smells like coolant. And if the water level in the radiator isnt dropping fast, then its not coolant frm the heater core.

These are only speculations, anyway.d

Cuppa
29th March 2014, 09:08 PM
If it isn't coolant you might find an answer in this thread.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?3662-water-on-my-floor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!-

grahamap
18th May 2014, 08:24 AM
Water on passenger floor for me was leaky windsheild around the rubber and heater core tap. If it were heater related I reckon tap or hoses rather than core itself. Youve got to remove pretty much the whole dash to get into it safetly, at least with my mq its a simple job took 15 minutes. Assembling it all back can be a bit daunting for the first time but isnt hard either. Hope you resolve ya issue

statok
19th May 2014, 12:56 PM
It was a rubber bung on on the bottom of the cab that popped out

Agwang
10th July 2014, 08:16 AM
I had the same problem few months back. It was the windscreen rubber seal leaking for me. I went to supercheap auto and got some windscreen glass black sealant and sealed it myself. All good now.

Krzysiek79krzysiek
2nd January 2015, 08:49 AM
Hi Guyz,
A week ago my patrol was on oil changes etc ... And as I was having the same issue with water on the passagnger floor I asked the maintenance Guyz to call me wen they will take the cabin filter out --- then we found the AC drain pipe was kind of bended inside and so the outflow of the water was not that smooth and it was leaking there - most likely going thr some ups and downs not likely when running on the flat road.
I was today goin thr some kind of sand mining area and so far not seen anything on the floor. The pipe looked to be not that strongly connected so it might be the problem in other cars as well.
Rgrds, Krzysztof