PDA

View Full Version : Not your average GQ DIY Turbo kit!

AzaMorey
19th March 2014, 08:21 PM
G'day Guys!!!

Ok so ive been looking at all the DTS, HPD and China Turbo set ups, ranging from $1600 -$5000.
Im sure if you shop around and buy the exact bits you want separately, you can have a very neat and reliable Setup!

I want to start a TRUE DIY turbo setup.!

Lets start with the general outline.

Turbo type and why.

Intercooler type, top mount or front mount?

Manifold, pretty simple seeing as you can get them on ebay for $100-$200

Best piping size and type

Fuel Injectors , turbo timers and air box specs.

Im sure with a group effort from the PSI vets and mechanics on this forum we can truly outline a cost effective and reliable Turbo setup for us not so millionaires!'

Lets keep this thread on topic and not get derailed.
Post pics if you got em and your turbo setup Story :)

Peace guys
Aza.

Ben-e-boy
19th March 2014, 08:53 PM
There are some questions you need to ask yourself
How much do you want to spend?
What do you want to achieve?

AzaMorey
19th March 2014, 09:04 PM
I dare say I got a bit excited. was looking at DTS kits on ebay and really theres not a lot to it.
If one were to copy the DTS kit, I believe they could source it at a cheaper cost. Not knocking of DTS or anything, just wanting cheap and of good quality.

Good point Ben :)

Dales300exc
19th March 2014, 09:08 PM
Cheap and of good quality arent normally things that go hand in hand.

DTS and any brand name kit are priced as they are, not only for the quality parts they include, but for the ongoing support you get from the company.

Sure you can buy a china turbo for bugger all, but he isnt going to care when it explodes and kills your engine.

Robo
21st March 2014, 12:24 AM
I like your thinking how can I do it cheaper?
Were all here to help one another right, so no offence intended, if taken well I apologise.

Problem is turbo's are nothing new and dependable power is a tried, tested, proven thing, DTS for example.
To put it into perspective on the question "cheaper" is to try something different, usually an unproven thing.
How do we get cheaper, usually inferior parts, labour and or product build specs.

Then put that into a pce of machinery that's spinning at 10 of thousands of rpm's and the question answers its self.
a part that spins at such high rpms, and has such a profound affect on an engine, proven quality matters 10 fold.
if ya want cheap be prepared for the out come, limited life span.

by the time we relies it's not as good or preforms nowhere near as well it will/should cost the same all over again to fix.
and cheap goes out the window.

BigRAWesty
21st March 2014, 08:39 AM
Again not to be rude but there are many true saying..

Poor man buys twice..

If you want quality quickly it won't be cheap..
If you want cheap quickly it won't have quality..
And cheap quality don't expect it quickly. If at all..

nissannewby
21st March 2014, 11:31 AM
The DTS kits are good in that absolutely everything is there. You set aside a day to install and drive away at the end of that day with a turbo td42 and this is doing it yourself.

Now with trying to source everything "cheaper" yourself is kinda a false economy. There's fittings, manifolds, piping, oil and coolant lines etc etc. this adds up to a lot of time and cost can blow out.

I am doing a custom setup at the moment using quality gear. As an example we spent $550 on a exhaust manifold which is prob the best you can buy, the turbo was around $2200 and to put this all into proportion we have spent just over 10k. I work in the industry so most things are at pretty good prices. I must also note that we have done pump and injectors, airbox, snorkel etc etc.

AzaMorey
24th March 2014, 03:02 PM
Thanks Nissannewby. Might have to do the same and source quality parts over time and do the fit out myself. Mechanic mates help and expensive hosing won't be an issue. If it takes a year to find good parts at a cheap price i may just have to wait. Not keen on ten grand tho, neither will the mrs be. Haha

89gqpatrol4x4
24th March 2014, 06:04 PM
Has anyone got any info to share on the op's original questions or are we all running NA TD42's?

Ok so ive been looking at all the DTS, HPD and China Turbo set ups, ranging from $1600 -$5000.
Im sure if you shop around and buy the exact bits you want separately, you can have a very neat and reliable Setup!

Turbo type and why.

Im sure with a group effort from the PSI vets and mechanics on this forum we can truly outline a cost effective and reliable Turbo setup for us not so millionaires!'

Peace guys
Aza.[/QUOTE]

AB
24th March 2014, 06:20 PM
Has anyone got any info to share on the op's original questions or are we all running NA TD42's?

Turbo type and why.

Peace guys
Aza.[/QUOTE]

Ok ill start as mine is probably the most simplistic and cost effective.

Spent about 6 months hunting on Ebay with notifications until this came up.

Just someone upgrading their turbo so I grabbed their standard ht18 turbo off td42t including cross over, accessories and exhaust manifold for 1k.

No intercooler and my temps are fine for a non intercooler set up. Have to drop back a but when towing up a long steep hill when it reaches 500 degrees but apart from that its fine.

Only running 10psi and it does me fine...for now!

Full write up can be found below and I also added the patroldocta air box and 4" snorkel and 3" straight through exhaust...happy days! Love it, cheap and does the job!

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?t=4973

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app

jc84
24th March 2014, 08:11 PM
I assume this is diesel?

Turbo type and why.

Garrett, excellent quality, reliability and easy supply of rebuild kits should it be a 2nd hand turbo or you've done that many km on it.

FMIC is my pick, W2A was ok, but required more messing around with hoses and radiators, top mount A2A I found pretty useless. FMIC is simple, yet a true DIY FMIC usually requires some cutting of the rad support.

I've seen two ebay manifolds cracked after >12months on TD42's.
Pick yourself up a good quality aftermarket one 2nd hand and get the flanges milled flat, she'll be good as new at 2nd hand price.
A good time to also port the exhaust runners.

User preference, smaller sized (2" say) wont have negative effects, and will provide better boost response then say 3".

Turbo timers is really user preference as well, some people will swear black and blue that you need them, others run along happily for years without one.

Fuel Injectors and Air box specs, all depend on what your end goal is.
An exchange set of re-coed injectors shouldn't set you back any more then $360ish and should be good for many years to come. Go genuine zexel though.
An airbox can be as over the top as you want/need to make it. Fat's fabs make a simple airbox that works well, GU airboxs are also a good upgrade for the GQ's

EGT is a must have, as a 'just in-case' gauge.

@GUte
25th March 2014, 10:29 PM
I'm currently running the Kinugawa TD05 18G/8cm at 22psi. Regarded as 'cheap' by some but fine for those that have tens of thousands of K's on them.

W2A intercooler, 16" X 11" with tray mounted heat exchanger (alum GQ Ebay radiator) with Davies Craig pump.

4" Radius Fab stainless snorkel, 4Bfab Gen III filter box, 4" piping to turbo.

Future work will involve mods to the inlet manifold, intercooler, airbox and piping and ex manifold.

42342 42343 42344 4234542346 42347

Robo
26th March 2014, 01:35 AM
[QUOTE=@GUte;492666]I'm currently running the Kinugawa TD05 18G/8cm at 22psi. Regarded as 'cheap' by some but fine for those that have tens of thousands of K's on them.

W2A intercooler, 16" X 11" with tray mounted heat exchanger (alum GQ Ebay radiator) with Davies Craig pump.

4" Radius Fab stainless snorkel, 4Bfab Gen III filter box, 4" piping to turbo.

Future work will involve mods to the inlet manifold, intercooler, airbox and piping and ex manifold.

Was looking at those wta coolers.
Is tha wta ebay one hows it going ok work alright ?.
does it really need that large rad to work ok?

PM build details will ya please.

@GUte
26th March 2014, 04:03 PM
Forgot to add - 12mm pump and high burst injectors.

@GUte
26th March 2014, 04:21 PM
Was looking at those wta coolers.
Is tha wta ebay one hows it going ok work alright ?.
does it really need that large rad to work ok?

Robo, that Ebay intercooler works fine. The in/out side of it though has tight angles to keep it compact. I'll eventually remove these and fit a funnel like inlet that will curve down toward the turbo and fit the outlet side to the inlet manifold by way of a boltable flange.

I've gone big with the radiator as it was being run behind the cab and out of the main airflow. A friend had a thermo fan setup from the Ford Falcon with a frame made that fitted the GQ radiator. Twin 16" Spal's fitted to a shroud would be interesting! Out front, I couldn't tell you how efficient a heat exchanger of any particular size would be with one of these W2A intercoolers, or any for that matter. Bigger is best though! I didn't want to add another 'radiator' in the front.

When compared with ARE's graph's/test's my system is working very well.