PDA

View Full Version : Bad news for intercooler

Pokey
19th March 2014, 06:30 PM
Just had a look at my intercooler. Not good. Any ideas on a quick plug up fix till I can get a new one on the go?

Pokey
19th March 2014, 07:37 PM
Another pic.

Dales300exc
19th March 2014, 07:41 PM
Been leaking for a while. May aswell just drive it till you get another.

Hodge
19th March 2014, 07:56 PM
Yeh not a hell of a lot you can do about it mate until you get a change over unit.

Stropp
19th March 2014, 07:59 PM
Yes do the exchange setup like three dogs has, just send the old one back when you have the new one.

boots
19th March 2014, 08:30 PM
How many kms she done , probably find your intake manifold gunked up also . A catch can will be your next friend when the funds allow .

Pokey
19th March 2014, 08:30 PM
Yes I'm sure it was stuffed when I bought the vehicle. Plans were to replace it anyway now just have to quicker than I thought. So what's the best options around ??

93patrol
19th March 2014, 08:36 PM
Totally depends on you budget either a $400 eBay effort or a $1200 odd cross country. Or three dogs has

Hodge
19th March 2014, 08:56 PM
Me and threedogs have the diesel smart exchange unit and reasonably happy.

Pokey
19th March 2014, 09:21 PM
160,000 km. I looked up the diesel smart ones on ebay and he only has the common rail ones on there. Is he on this forum?

Pokey
19th March 2014, 09:46 PM
boots - funds allow for a catch can :) after seeing the gunk there I think its a must

threedogs
20th March 2014, 08:57 AM
Give Mudski a PM I think he stocks catch cans,
I'd be giving Diesel Smart a ring as I'm not sure why they don't do the Di IC anymore,
Diesel Smart do a larger one[IC] and $400 cheaper than the Cross Country which IMO is way over priced.
If getting one from ebay make sure its been pressure tested and carries some kind of warranty.

You could pull it all apart and give it a decent clean along with cleaning your MAF as all that oil is going somewhere
just make sure its all dry before you put it back together

Pokey
20th March 2014, 12:55 PM
Thanks Threedogs. I'll get onto it.

threedogs
20th March 2014, 01:03 PM
You could even pressure test the IC once its clean tape up all outlets and use a push bike pump to pressurize it
dip it in a bucket of water and see where its leaking, you may be able to use some Flash tack to slow it down.?
Again make sure its dry before installing again, hair dryer may help here

Pokey
20th March 2014, 05:22 PM
I know where it's leaking. I can see the holes, eight of them. The engine cowling rubbed through. Can feel air pissing out at idle

Pokey
21st March 2014, 06:40 PM
Ok so I rang Diesel Smart and boy am I glad I did. These guys know their stuff!!
Did a great deal on most of the gear I am after. Nads, Dsi for maf, chip and monster intercooler. Now I'm looking for a good 3 inch exhaust. I'v been told Scotts Rods is the go?
What is everyone else using ?

MEGOMONSTER
21st March 2014, 06:42 PM
Ok so I rang Diesel Smart and boy am I glad I did. These guys know their stuff!!
Did a great deal on most of the gear I am after. Nads, Dsi for maf, chip and monster intercooler. Now I'm looking for a good 3 inch exhaust. I'v been told Scotts Rods is the go?
What is everyone else using ?

I using Taipan XP 3" exhaust.

Pokey
21st March 2014, 06:47 PM
Thanks megomonster, I was also told to look up a taipan catch can, apparently it comes with everything needed to just bolt on