PDA

View Full Version : Dumb turbo question

threedogs
18th March 2014, 11:48 AM
Sounds dumb to me but it possible to fit a 9" fan under the IC and wire it so it is on but will cut out at 50KPH.
If doing slow tracks fan is working, if stuck in traffic fan is working and on the beach fan is working.
It was something BillsGU said the other day about engine bay temps.

Winnie
18th March 2014, 12:33 PM
Why not just have it run the whole time? Mine is wired to ignition.

threedogs
18th March 2014, 12:40 PM
hows that go for longevity of the fan working all the time EG it doesn't need to be on going at hwy speeds.
doesn't the noise drive you nuts ??

Also is it the 9" or 7" that fits under the OE IC

Winnie
18th March 2014, 02:04 PM
Cannot hear it over the motor.Can barely hear it with the ignition on when I'm sitting inside with the doors and windows shut.
For the sake of mucking around fitting speed sensors etc I'd rather just replace when it dies.

Sir Roofy
18th March 2014, 03:30 PM
Thats another thing about these fans i still cant see the need for one
i tried it and found the 3l went just as well without it sand bush traffic

threedogs
18th March 2014, 04:48 PM
I've only heard one person say something good about them. should have a poll with a simple yes /no answer

liftlid
18th March 2014, 04:53 PM
I have a switch on mine to turn off if needed ( river crossing) but I think the fan needs to work all the time to cool its self otherwise the screws seem to get loose in the plastic and motor drops out

threedogs
18th March 2014, 05:09 PM
see your point, maybe Yendor or ET can shed some light on it

the evil twin
18th March 2014, 06:14 PM
see your point, maybe Yendor or ET can shed some light on it

I had a 9 inch slim line puller fitted to my truck for a couple of years.
That size fits beautifully on the CRD under the 'cooler and attaches to the flange on either side of the 'cooler.

It makes a noticeable difference flogging around under high engine load under 30 ish KPH.
It isn't worth much on firmer sand or lighter engine loads up to about 60 KPH.
It definitely obstructs air flow over 80 with the motor housing but flow is good enough so doesn't matter if it is on or off as it will free wheel at that speed.

I had mine wired so it came on manually (switch on centre console) or automatically if the eleccy fan came on (hi eng temp or A/C).

I would not recommend them as a pusher as I was always worried about jamming rocks or twigs between the blades and the 'cooler.

I don't have it fitted these days as Nissan replaced the 'cooler under warranty about 6 months ago and I am selling teh truck anyway.

Bottom line is I would only bother if you are doing a lot of very low speed slogging. If you are after hi speed efficiencies I would fit a better 'cooler

Winnie
18th March 2014, 06:17 PM
Mine was supplied and installed on the cooler I bought and I wasn't going to take it off so might as well wire it up.

Stropp
18th March 2014, 07:06 PM
yes TD just wire it to a switch mate, mine comes on with ignition but i have the same as winnie the cc so a lot bigger although if i didnt have the fan with it i probably would not have fitted one and just went with the cooler.