PDA

View Full Version : buying a GU patrol 3.0

GU_Mudstar
17th March 2014, 09:38 PM
Hey guys, im in the market for one now, with funds sorted out, now is the moment of truth hahaha...

Ok im pretty good when it comes to petrol motors, but with diesel comes a who new ball game, with much to learn im keen to learn all that is to know about turbo diesel and patrols for that matter

What is best to keep a look out on buying a patrol?

Majority of the ones withing my budget are around 200,000 - 250,000kms, usually a GU series one, or the GU series II, body wise most of the ones ive looked online are straight panel and a few at dealership, but what about engine wise,

Besides looking for oil leaks, what are some common signs of engine wear and tear? and noises to keep an ear out?

Are they prone to have injector problems? pumps or anything related to fuel?

And most important the drive line? any real problems with the transfer case? or Gearbox in any case? As far as im aware, patrols have one of the best drive line and parts fitted on a 4x4 so they are defs tough and kitted out well

Lastly, maintenance? besides oil change an diff/trans oils, are there any particular attention i need to keep an eye out? On my dads hilux ive always greased up the uni joints at all drive shafts every 6 months, and oil change 5k bang on and trans/diffs every 15k, im quite anal about maintenance hahaha, guess it comes from owning performance cars for so long

BTW ive already ordered the NADs kit, just needa find a catch can for the zd30 motor

cheers guys

MudRunnerTD
17th March 2014, 10:16 PM
The drive line is tough as guts mate, nothing to fear there.

Regardless of you planning the NADS the problem really is that your buying one that should have had the NADS 100,000kms ago.

If you were my best mate I would tell you to find some more cash or buy a GQ rather than a series 1 or 2 with a ZD30 in it. IMO just walk away .

Sorry kill joy I know.

happygu
17th March 2014, 10:21 PM
What is the budget Mudstar?

Friend of mine just picked an 05 Model, with a fair few goodies, and in fairly good nick for around $23K

Mic

Rickie3
17th March 2014, 10:25 PM
I picked my 2000 GU up for $7000, absolutely immaculate in the body and interior, plenty of rego and a nice set of wheels fitted, 3 litre DID, it had a replacement head, and has 315000 k's on the clock, but the motor purrs like a kitten, I did have a problem with it going into limp mode, but that was a fault of my own, but apart from that, am extremely happy with the fuel economy and power and comfort, my previous GU was a 2.8 was a good strong bus but guttless as hell

GU_Mudstar
18th March 2014, 12:17 AM
The drive line is tough as guts mate, nothing to fear there.

Regardless of you planning the NADS the problem really is that your buying one that should have had the NADS 100,000kms ago.

If you were my best mate I would tell you to find some more cash or buy a GQ rather than a series 1 or 2 with a ZD30 in it. IMO just walk away .

Sorry kill joy I know.

yeahh didnt think of that, but a GQ is getting long and old in the tooth, and a 4.2 TD is pretty pricey! But im willing to do all i can to make this engine work, im already planning on pulling off the Intake manifold and sending it off to be hot tank dipped to remove all gunk build up, fingers cross it doesnt take a day to do lol

What is the budget Mudstar?

Friend of mine just picked an 05 Model, with a fair few goodies, and in fairly good nick for around $23K

Mic

If only i wasnt studying, "sigh!", im only limited to 13k drive away with everything rego n road worthy certificate, so it does sorta limit which GU i can get

I picked my 2000 GU up for $7000, absolutely immaculate in the body and interior, plenty of rego and a nice set of wheels fitted, 3 litre DID, it had a replacement head, and has 315000 k's on the clock, but the motor purrs like a kitten, I did have a problem with it going into limp mode, but that was a fault of my own, but apart from that, am extremely happy with the fuel economy and power and comfort, my previous GU was a 2.8 was a good strong bus but guttless as hell

yes exactly the sorta response i was hoping for hahaha, i could opt for a 2.8, but the power n torque figures isnt what i would call powerful

MudRunnerTD
18th March 2014, 12:52 AM
Dont worry about the GQ getting long in the tooth mate. The GQ with a TD42 in it is holding its value soooo well and will continue to. it may well sit at that price for a long time, happy days if you own one, everyone wants one.

For your budget of $13k you would be entering the 4x4 world is a Kick Butt GQ with a good Turbo, Front and rear Lockers, good tyres and ready to roll. All you have to do is Drive it. In 5 years you will near get back what you pay for it.

Or buy a GU series 1 ZD30 and hope you get lucky. GQ in a Heart beat for me and i own a GQ and a GUIV. A GQ with a sweat TD42 and decent Turbo and you will simply never Not be Smiling!! Seriously.

meh
18th March 2014, 12:53 AM
I got mine for $12G. 01 ST series 3 manual ZD30. Come with 2" lift, front and rear bar, arb sliders, uhf, electronic trailer braking assist rolling on 33" Dick cepek FC 2's. 30xxxx Kms, 6months rego, rwc and a supposed 1yr warranty which was useless haha.
My Injector pump failed due to nasty fuel clogging it up, so now I run an additive every refuel and will never go to 7/11 again.
Once the dawes and needle valve was put on the car was a whole different machine to drive!!
Take a look at it's intercooler they can leak. Otherwise I couldnt give you too much advise on what to look out for, I suggest getting a mech to run over it if your concerned

Stropp
18th March 2014, 01:24 AM
Welcome along mate, as MR says a gq td42 or if you go the Di make sure it has the Nats already done then you have at least a fighting chance.

GU_Mudstar
18th March 2014, 06:34 PM
ok so ive been shopping for a whole day, i havent seen a GQ 4.2 TD going around online and locally, guess there legendary statues is making them rarer and ppl holding on to em, bit bummed out about that!

Where as the Gu, theres a few but most of em are pretty average to crappy, and majority in VIC are auto and petrol, so im gonna make the trek to interstates to look for one

but so far im leaning towards a good gq 4.2 td or a gu with nads already fitted or very low kms

cheers guys

MudRunnerTD
18th March 2014, 06:43 PM
Awesome. A good GQ will come up every now and then.

Good luck with your search.

threedogs
18th March 2014, 06:53 PM
Yeah I'm with MR for $13K its a great GQ with most mods done or a series 1 GU or even a dual fuel Ti petrol
every one here will be on the look out for a TD4.2 for you, shouldn't take too long to find the right one

Rickie3
18th March 2014, 08:52 PM
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Nissan-Patrol-94-GQ-Wagon-4-2-Diesel-Turbo-4x4-Not-Landcruiser-Prado-Pajero-/291095299345?pt=AU_Cars&hash=item43c6a1c511

Rickie3
18th March 2014, 08:57 PM
even this is a gift http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/92-GQ-NISSAN-PATROL-4-2-DIESEL-TD42-4x4-7-SEATS-GU-CRUISER-PRADO-PAJERO-HILUX-/331148837972?pt=AU_Cars&hash=item4d1a024454

rochjas
21st March 2014, 11:11 AM
hey all,

A mate of mine just purchased a march 04 GU 3 ST zd30 manual Patrol. It was a 1 owner country car and had just done 200,000kms.... Its in mint condition... He paid 17k for it.... They are out there just ready to take your time and not buy the first thing you see....

HV2002
21st March 2014, 12:43 PM
Hi Mudstar I picked up my 2002GU 2 months ago for 13k with 124k on it she is basically standard but sound a good start to build what I won't whe way I won't . I've done the intercooler and starting NADS ... Don't rush in take your time and the right unit will show up GQ or GU ..Just keep looking till you find the right one