PDA

View Full Version : Bullbar/Winch & 33's.

Kurt Bergmann
17th March 2014, 09:57 AM
Hi All,

Once again I after some advise.

Cheers Kurt

Is it possible to convert a non ARB winch bullbar to become a winch compatible bullbar on my 2012 Patrol?

What would I have to do if I am to put 33's on the Patrol. It has a 2" OME lift? Which wheel size would be better, the current 17" or a smaller size.

Winnie
17th March 2014, 10:01 AM
You can convert the bullbar to take a winch, it will need reinforcing though.

You won't need to do anything to fit 33s, just put them on and enjoy. I would use 16 inch rims if I were you though, tyres will be heaps cheaper.

rkinsey
17th March 2014, 10:11 AM
Hi Kurt,

If the bullbar is a steel bar with properly reinforced gussets for the chassis mounts and the bar itself and it has a reinforced mount point for the winch then there shouldnt be a problem. I would take it to ARB or TJM and have them assess wether or not a winch is 1: Able to be moun ted and 2: Wether or not the bar is capable of withstanding the loads applied to it under winching loads.

There are a lot of "After Market" bars on the market that claim to be winch bars but in fact are not. They flex under load and either damage the winch, the bar, the car or all three.

Watch 4wd pro tips, http://www.4wdprotips.tv/, this will give you a lot of info as well. (it does me)

If you have an alloy bar then the answer is a flat out NO.

AS for the tyres,

If you are running a 2" lift then there should be no issues with 33's hiightwise. The only thing you will need to look out for is scrubbing at full lock left and right with either the guard or the guard protector (underneath) this is to do with tyre width.

Take the Patrol down to Jax tyres and have them take a look. They will point you in the right direction.

Cheers,

Rob

threedogs
17th March 2014, 10:18 AM
Sell the bar and use that money for a designated airbag compatible winch bulbar.
Its a safety item and TBH not worth the hassle'
As for the 33s just put them on and drive use 16" rims as suggested as you'll have a better choice of tyres
and easier to find a match in the "outback" if you need one

Kurt Bergmann
21st March 2014, 04:35 PM
Once again THANKS for the advice. The BFG MT 33's are going on tomorrow, have to stick with 17" rims due to the brake calipers. Had to by a ARB winch bar due to the ARB scrub bars.

Cheers Kurt

Kurt Bergmann
21st March 2014, 04:37 PM
Sorry I also forgot to mention I purchased a Iron Man 12000LB winch.

rkinsey
21st March 2014, 04:48 PM
Sorry I also forgot to mention I purchased a Iron Man 12000LB winch.

Crikey Kurt!

You planning on recovering Leopard tanks mate?!