PDA

View Full Version : A Queston about the effect of diff oil leaks on axle bearings and pinion bearings

dom14
17th March 2014, 12:48 AM
Hi guys,
I would really like to know the answer to this question since I've been plagued with this problem lately.

When diff oil leaks out of the oil seals and floods the bearings(either the inner axle bearing or the diff pinion bearing), can this really 'wash off' the grease inside the bearings and cause them to wear out prematurely?

By that I mean, the constantly flooding diff oil doesn't have any good lubrication effect on the bearings at all?
Instead it wears them out quicker?

I would like to think the leaking diff oil may provide even a better lubrication to the bearings than grease itself due to dif oil's oily nature(as long as the leaking continues and the bearings don't dry up)

I would really like to know this guys.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

mudski
17th March 2014, 07:36 AM
Diff oil is obviously a good lubricator for bearings as it does lubricate the carrier bearings and pinion bearing. But having said that the hub and axle seals are there for a reason, to seal off any dirt from getting into the bearings and destroying them, if one leaks you should change it...

BigRAWesty
17th March 2014, 07:54 AM
Oil will wash the grease away eventually.
And oil won't give as good a protection as grease. When hot it's thinner and has less of a barrier..
So you won't get a catastrophic failure but the won't last as long as a well grease packed set..