PDA

View Full Version : Antenna mast

paulyg
16th March 2014, 08:22 PM
I am sick of replacing my antenna mast, does anyone now how to wire the switch so I can manually raise and lower the mast?

the evil twin
16th March 2014, 09:27 PM
I am sick of replacing my antenna mast, does anyone now how to wire the switch so I can manually raise and lower the mast?

You already have one.

Just turn the radio off

93patrol
16th March 2014, 11:25 PM
Or put an aftermarket whip fm antenna

threedogs
17th March 2014, 06:48 AM
Or put an aftermarket whip fm antenna
I too was sick of breaking off antennas all the time on my other 4x4.
I just mounted an AM/FM CB antenna on the bulbar better reception
and never broke another antenna either

mudski
17th March 2014, 07:49 AM
Are you constantly getting it caught on tree or something? Your dash should be the same as mine as they are the same year. So you should have the switch for half and full height yes? I had a blank panel under that switch so I just put in a on/ off rocker switch sand wire this in so it cuts the power to the antenna motor and when off it lowers the mast right down and the radio can still be on.

paulyg
17th March 2014, 05:08 PM
Thanks guys, I have a double din head unit with off road maps so I don't really want to turn it of,

Yendor
17th March 2014, 10:30 PM

With the genuine system it's not possible to use the switch to raise or lower the mast and stop it in any position.

You would need to at least change the switch to achieve this and even then you would loose the auto up and down function when the ignition was turned on and off.

It would be possible by using a relay to change the genuine system so when the aerial switch was in the half way position the aerial will be fully down instead. Is this what you are after?

paulyg
18th March 2014, 03:55 PM
Yendor, that would be okay, I don't use the radio that much anyway, but even when listening to music through the flash drive or just the gps on, the antenna still goes up.

Yendor
19th March 2014, 07:38 AM
Yendor, that would be okay, I don't use the radio that much anyway, but even when listening to music through the flash drive or just the gps on, the antenna still goes up.

I will post this up for you this afternoon.

Yendor
19th March 2014, 06:22 PM
You'll need a change over relay. It's a 5 pin relay with a 87 and 87A terminals.

It will be easiest to mount the relay near the aerial motor.

Cut the Purple wire with the White trace (PU/W) and connect one end to terminal 30 of the relay and the other end to terminal 87A.

Cut the Sky Blue wire (SB) and connect the end from the aerial switch to terminal 86 of the relay. Tape up the other end that goes to the aerial motor.

Terminal 85 connects to earth.

Terminal 87 is not used.

This set up will allow the aerial to be fully up when the aerial switch is the fully up position and the aerial to be fully down when the aerial switch is in the half way position.

Here's the original circuit diagram and another one showing the changes.

If you decide that you want to do the extra switch as Mark has suggested. You will need to cut the Purple wire with the White trace (PU/W) at the back of the radio and connect this to your on/off switch.

Cheers Rodney

paulyg
20th March 2014, 05:08 PM
Yendor you are a champ, thanks very much.

hoddisvenn
23rd March 2014, 04:07 AM
my antenna on my Patrol some times go all the way up mostle styes half way up (not broken rod )do you think this is a electrical probblem or should i replace the antenna. I heard that you can replace the wire that runs through it any truth in that

the evil twin
23rd March 2014, 12:51 PM
If it goes up all the way "sometimes" it may not be electrical just gummed up with goo
Try extending the mast all the way with a bit of help by gently pulling as the motor is driving.
Check there are no bends or kinks.
Give it a good clean with a rag and some solvent.
Apply some graphite powder as lubricant.
Try it and see how it goes

If it is still not working the plastic "rope" is probably buggered.
To inspect or replace it...
Turn Radio off
Undo the metal cap on the top of the guard
Turn radio on and it will spit out the mast and rope (you may need to help it but not usually)
Inspect and discard if the teeth are chewed

To fit a new one
Have Radio on
Feed the rope into the tube until you feel the end contact the gear
Turn radio off and teh gear will "grab" the rope and draw it into the guard
Even if it doesn't take the rope and mast all the way in, extend the mast by hand sliding the lower section/s into the tube and refit the metal cap
Cycle radio between Off and On a few times and it will sort itself out

hoddisvenn
26th March 2014, 02:36 PM
should the mast go up when i turn the key or only when i turn on the radio in my car the mast goes up when i turn the key if i turn off the radio the mast stays up shouldīnt go down and how can i get the orginal radio out of the dashbord to se how itīs conected

paulyg
31st March 2014, 07:37 PM
Yendor, I did the antenna switch mod, works great that was just what I was looking for.
Thanks paulyg.