PDA

View Full Version : GU Intercooler Oil/Smoke

c_lewien
16th March 2014, 09:01 PM
Good evening all,

Hoping someone here could give me a steer in the right direction.

I have a 01 GU Patrol II. I had recently replaced the turbo and intercooler due to me thinking the oil seal had gone as the intercooler was full of oil. (Approx 3k ago)

Today I took off the MAF to give a clean and noticed the intercooler was full of oil and was leaking onto the top of the rocker cover. Dipstick still showing full.

Once I got in the car to drive home the car started blowing alot of white smoke with the smell of burning oil.

Currently the PCV breather hose is in a 600ml coke bottle to see if it had any major excess oil issues but that seems fine.

I'm starting to lean towards the seal in the turbo has gone again and causing oil to go into the intake side of turbo > Intercooler > Exhaust then burning and smoking?

Any tips or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Cameron

mudski
16th March 2014, 11:29 PM
Hey Cameron. The oil in your ic is just from the engine vapors being sucked into the air intake from the hose from the top of the motor to the intake pipe just before it turns downwards to the turbo. To overcome this issue, install a catch can "in line" of this hose to filter the vapors. Don't stress about it, the turbo will be fine. If its really leaking oil you will really know about it.

c_lewien
17th March 2014, 06:45 AM
Hey Cameron. The oil in your ic is just from the engine vapors being sucked into the air intake from the hose from the top of the motor to the intake pipe just before it turns downwards to the turbo. To overcome this issue, install a catch can "in line" of this hose to filter the vapors. Don't stress about it, the turbo will be fine. If its really leaking oil you will really know about it.

Thanks for the reply, as posted above that hose isn't connected. I ran it into a bottle to see how much blow by or excessive amount of oil was coming out. Its been on there since turbo change (2,000km) with only the bottle lightly lined with oil.

I'm thinking white smoke is from a bad MAF (Since it only been doing it after being cleaned)

Below is picture of the oil. It was wiped, taken for a quick run and this is what had already pooled.

mudski
17th March 2014, 08:31 AM
Sorry. I didn't read that well...If you have already changed the turbo I doubt its gone again. But stranger things have happened. White smoke is oil burning. Take the outlet hose off the turbo and see if there oil in there as thats a lot of oil leaking if its coming from the turbo, hard to tell from that pic.

threedogs
17th March 2014, 08:35 AM
I thought white smoke was water, blue was oil and black was fuel.
You need to remove and clean your IC as best you can, just make sure its
completely dry before you re-install it.

c_lewien
17th March 2014, 09:37 AM
Sorry. I didn't read that well...If you have already changed the turbo I doubt its gone again. But stranger things have happened. White smoke is oil burning. Take the outlet hose off the turbo and see if there oil in there as thats a lot of oil leaking if its coming from the turbo, hard to tell from that pic.

Thanks for the reply. Outlet hose has oil in it (fair amount)

mudski
17th March 2014, 12:08 PM
Looks to be the turbo then?