PDA

View Full Version : Blocked oil gallery?

Knightskeyes
16th March 2014, 03:12 PM
Hi all

Been a while since I have posted. Just in the process of changing the oil in my 4.2 naturally aspirated engine. I have 2 horizontal oil filters normally when I change the oil the oil pours out everywhere. The second filter at the back of the engine doesn't seem to have had any oil in it for a while. The top of the filter is very clean. I don't know if it was a faulty filter or a blocked gallery, not very good to have run the engine between services on one filter! Any ideas on how I can clean out the galleries or know if in fact it is blocked. The filters seemed to be working alright at the last change.

I have just reversed the filter positions, I will take it for a short drive and get some engine cleaner and put that in. If the same filter is still clean then obviously it is a filter problem.

threedogs
16th March 2014, 06:33 PM
bumped in case someone missed it

the godfather
16th March 2014, 09:31 PM
I have no idea on this one, but I am curious to what happens. Keep us updated please.

Robo
27th March 2014, 01:18 PM
Engine oil flush.
number of brands available.

Wait for some qualified comments on this idea, something else may inadvertently be affected.
what about removing oil pressure switch, some compressed air see what comes out filter mt point.
if ya end out trying that, might pay to partly replace a old drained filter and drop a old rag/towel over that, help stop oil going everywhere, same idea rag over pressure switch port to help stop you being covered also.

nissannewby
27th March 2014, 02:16 PM
They do work on a bypass system I believe so one filter will be used most of the time and as restriction increases then flow will bypass through the second filter. Now if you do lots of highway k's then your oil tends to stay a little cleaner but if you do a lot of around town driving the extra load and stop starting can see oil become a little dirtier.

Also as you mentioned the oil filter could have been a little dodgy.

I wouldn't worry to much either way. If your really concerned out an oil pressure gauge on it and see if there are any fluctuations.

Robo
28th March 2014, 01:48 AM
They do work on a bypass system I believe so one filter will be used most of the time and as restriction increases then flow will bypass through the second filter. Now if you do lots of highway k's then your oil tends to stay a little cleaner but if you do a lot of around town driving the extra load and stop starting can see oil become a little dirtier.

Also as you mentioned the oil filter could have been a little dodgy.

I wouldn't worry to much either way. If your really concerned out an oil pressure gauge on it and see if there are any fluctuations.

there ya go nothing to worry about.
and we learnt 2nd filter is more a bypass.
thanks to nissannewby.