PDA

View Full Version : I want a new camera

kevingalloway
15th March 2014, 08:03 PM
I am thinking about a camera with continuous shoot. The $70 tablet we have has continuous shoot or rapid shoot up to 10 shots, and I have used this a few times and I save the best shots and delete the rest.
As you may have guessed I am a learner with cameras and photography. I was looking at getting a compact digital camera. Is there a brand to stay away from or is it the old story you only get what you pay for? Is duty free good option as I am travelling overseas soon but is the cost saving worth missing out on having a good camera for the trip.

regards Kevin

SonOf
15th March 2014, 08:23 PM
Duty free for a compact digital is not really worth it as you can find great deal around. Bextec is an online store and reputable with good prices. Canon is my personal choice, make sure optic zoom is good as digital is ok but pixilates a bit.

Personally I would go for an entry level DSLR for about $650 with a couple of good lenses which is doable. That way you can upgrade the body and keep the lenses so long as you maintain brands.

BigRAWesty
16th March 2014, 07:23 AM
Dlsr. Is the way to go if you want quality.
We have a cannon 550D which is cannons middle range.
Was over $1000 when we bought it and now see it below $700 sometimes.

If you are serious grab an dlsr and do a day course. Local pro runs em down here called 'getting out of auto' for $100 and the photo quality increased 10 fold overnight.

But yes stick to brand names..

Hodge
16th March 2014, 07:29 AM
Totally agree with westy. Even the current cheaper range of DSLR takes some really quality photos puts a lot of high end pos cameras to shame. . And it's all about the lens. Grab a entry model DSLR and lens kit then later on invest in some quality lens to suit.
We haven't touched a pos camera since getting out Nikon.
Yes they are bulkier. But that's the only negative.

kevin07
16th March 2014, 09:23 AM
yes to canon as they have a wonderful array of lenses yes to a canon 550d twin lens kit as this camera has everything and the lenses are brilliant as a starter to intermediate photographer and the price is great and get a cheap to middle size flash unit for those red eyes at night and yes to duty free

wildgu6
16th March 2014, 10:05 AM
Got myself a Nikon DSLR 3200 about 8 months ago for $650, takes a great shot but I find a bit complicated to use, might have to take Westys advice and do a course. Great camera if you can use it. Make sure it's from a reputable seller and its not a (grey) import. Plenty of them out there. You can go to Nikon site and it tells you there authorized sellers.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app

SonOf
16th March 2014, 10:46 AM
https://becextech.com.au/catalog/digital-slr-cameras-canon-slr-cameras-canon-60d-18-55-55-250mm-50mm-triple-free-insurance-year-australian-warranty-p-477.html

This is a good price for a 60D,

https://becextech.com.au/catalog/digital-slr-cameras-canon-slr-cameras-canon-600d-twin-kit-18-55mm-75-300-free-insurance-year-australian-warranty-p-538.html#.UyGHs8FutyU

or for a 600D.

I bought my brother in laws canon from here and the service was great. They are Aussie based so warranty etc is all good.

GU_Mudstar
16th March 2014, 11:28 AM
entry level nikon d3200 with a basic lens, i brought for like $550 at jb on boxing day, can get em cheaper online as well, so cant imagine it being too expensive when compared to other dslr on the market

I rekon pay more for the lense, and less on the camera body, at the end of the day, it all comes down to the lens and how u set up the settings within the camera, plenty of ppl in my uni use basic camera bodies, but with the more expensive lens kits

threedogs
16th March 2014, 12:38 PM
And while looking at your photo you can drink from this Cannon fake lens cup.
even the small calibration doovas work

BigRAWesty
16th March 2014, 02:06 PM
Dslr's are a bit complicated so a course if a must.
Don't do a silly tafe course, get out on a weekend course and get some one on one time with a pro.

Chris79
16th March 2014, 02:06 PM
If you're only looking for continuous shoot with a good quality easy to use camera, I would recommend a middle road compact. Something like a sony, canon etc.
They can take fantastic shot, you just dont have the full control of depth of field, or shutter speed. Much easier to handle, stick it in your pocket.

If you are wanting a little more control without going DSLR, the bridge camera (super zoom compact) are a good option, particularly for travel. They are smaller than DSLR, some have massive zoom, similar control to a DSLR (shutter, aperture,iso) and all without the need to change lenses.

But if wanting to get seriously into photography as a hobby, no substitue for a DSLR. But as mentioned to get the best from them you will need to do some serious research or a course.

Personally I use a Sony compact and a Nikon DSLR. Best of both worlds.

tracemul7
16th March 2014, 03:56 PM
Agree on a DSLR being a great option for some great images - however depending on what you are going to us it for, might consider having another camera too.
I know this sounds expensive .... but hear me out :P

I have a DSLR (Canon 550D) with numerous lenses and have taken it on numerous trips away. However I have been to a number of spots where the sand/dust gets into pretty much everything, so for this reason, we have bought a dust-proof/water-proof/drop-proof point & shoot (Panasonic FT5) and this covers me for all trips.
While the images from the Panasonic are nothing like the Canon - I don't have the stress about getting sand/dust in my lenses etc.

The images taken by a DSLR can be stunning, but maybe consider what you want to do with the images? If you want to blow them up onto a large canvas, you need a decent image to start with ... but if it's some 4x6 prints for an album, or sharing with family & friends on Facebook, there are tons of cameras that will do this job, and also save you some $$ when compared to a DSLR :)

Just my thoughts

threedogs
16th March 2014, 04:11 PM
See what 4OFF and Fracster use or recommend we have all see the quality of their shots
at camp I tend to us my phone but I also have a small Olympic 12MP job which I should use more but I dont.
I have bugger all family photo the lot since digital cameras took over, sad eh

kevingalloway
16th March 2014, 06:54 PM
Thanks Chris, I am after a camera that I can put in my pocket or console of the patrol or commodore so that's why I was looking at a compact.
Choice list a Canon IXUS 255 HS as their first choice for a compact. I will look further before I pick one, thanks

BigRAWesty
16th March 2014, 06:58 PM
Well look for the highest mp you can afford then..
We have a Sony point and shoot, it has a Carl Zeouse (think that's the name) lenses on it. It's wallet size so fits the pocket well..

Chris79
16th March 2014, 08:48 PM
Yeah, my little Sony has a carl zeiss lense. Even for a 7 yo camera with 8.1 mp it takes a nice shot.
Todays compacts would be even better.

This is an example of a shot from it.
http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee178/CHRISMAV_2007/Animals/WaterDragon.jpg (http://s235.photobucket.com/user/CHRISMAV_2007/media/Animals/WaterDragon.jpg.html)

fracster
17th March 2014, 03:50 AM
Canon, Nikon, both equally as good as each other and have the largest range of lenses and accessories.

The BEST camera you can have is the one you take with you. There is no point getting a DSLR if you don`t want to carry the thing about with you. Many days I don`t take mine, I just take the wifes Pentax compact.

So, if you want to carry a DSLR and learn how to use it properly, then either of the above entry level cameras will suit you, go to a shop and try them out, they are very different in how they are set up, get the one that suits you. I shoot Nikon and find Canon to be very messy with regards controls and the menus, many canon shooters feel the same about Nikon. The Sony range is getting good reviews and may be worth looking at, there is also Samsung and Pentax, but I believe you will be better off with one of the big two,Canon/Nikon.

Compact wise, I can`t really offer much advice as I know little about them. Fuji are getting good reviews at the moment, but I can`t add anything other than that.

Gecko17
17th March 2014, 10:38 PM
I have a Nikon D7000 that I take most places, especially when working away. It does everything I want and more but it is still a delicate instrument and you have to be careful of the conditions you subject it to, which is why my Olympus Tough pocket camera never leaves my side. It is dust, water etc proof and still takes some amazing shoots.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

outback
17th March 2014, 10:48 PM
See what 4OFF and Fracster use or recommend we have all see the quality of their shots
at camp I tend to us my phone but I also have a small Olympic 12MP job which I should use more but I dont.
I have bugger all family photo the lot since digital cameras took over, sad eh

Fracster would like a Nikon D800/D800E or possibly a Nikon D4. Expensive tastes there.

Fracster I will sell you my D800 when I finish with it OK? :D

fracster
18th March 2014, 06:29 AM
Fracster has a D800 and a D3S, he is happy with what he has mate...................;)

threedogs
18th March 2014, 07:50 AM
I still have Dads Minolta X700 brand new withflash and len's don't know when they first came out but I took
it to get serviced and the guy said its never been used, All it required was a new battery.
I took a few shots with it and packed it away in a dust proof alloy case, the Olympic camera
I use is a Santa fe and 8mp not 12mp but cant see any difference until you start blowing up the prints
Had a mate years ago ,he would take rolls of pictures every time we went away, we never saw one LL

kevingalloway
18th March 2014, 05:24 PM
hi, I have bought a camera, Don't laugh as it was inside my budget and fits in my pocket.
Olympus SZ 16, 16 mp, 24x zoom, 48x sr zoom, 3.0" lcd , full HD 1080. It seems to be user friendly with most options on the screen not on knobs. It was on special for $248.

thanks for the info that you shared with me.

Kevin

fracster
18th March 2014, 07:12 PM
Why would anybody laugh, if it goes in your pocket and takes decent shots that you enjoy, then that is just what you require.

Enjoy using it.

Chris79
18th March 2014, 09:22 PM
Should be able to take some great shots with that mate, enjoy. The zoom will come in handy for your travels.

outback
18th March 2014, 10:45 PM
Fracster has a D800 and a D3S, he is happy with what he has mate...................;)

I see that you have fulfilled you desire for the D800 and added the D3s Greedy!! Might now have to look at that D4 to add to the D800 of mine..
Nah.. Not going to go for the D4.. Happy with D800.

What luck we have not shown the prices here for lenses and camera bodies .. would scare most off.. :)

fracster
19th March 2014, 04:26 AM
I see that you have fulfilled you desire for the D800 and added the D3s Greedy!! Might now have to look at that D4 to add to the D800 of mine..
Nah.. Not going to go for the D4.. Happy with D800.

What luck we have not shown the prices here for lenses and camera bodies .. would scare most off.. :)I sold my 2 D700s and my 300 to help fund them mate. The D3s is brilliant at low light stuff.

outback
20th March 2014, 10:06 PM
I sold my 2 D700s and my 300 to help fund them mate. The D3s is brilliant at low light stuff.

Ok so how did you get hold of a D3s, new or per loved? Also what is the big difference between the D3, D3s and the D4?

You definitely parted wit a few pounds/euros with that lot..
At least you D700 and D300 lenses are still useable. Big saving there.

fracster
22nd March 2014, 09:13 PM
D3s is secondhand, only done 8000 shutter actuations.I have never had a D3, but the sensor was the same in the D700. The D3s is far superior in low light,particularly the auto focus speed.

I sold my remaining DX lens, the 17-55 Nikon, replaced iut with the excellent Tamron 28-75.

The D4 does not appeal for three reasons, the cost, the stupid memory cards they use and the new batteries that I would have to buy as well.

Also, guys I know who shoot night time floodlit rugby and football, reckon the D4 is not a big enough improvement over the D3s to warrant the cost in low light,something we suffer a lot with over here. The D4s may be a different thing altogether though.

I`m happy with the two bodies I have now, the awesome detail from the D800 and the blazing speed of the D3s, 11 frames a second is bloody quick............:smile: