PDA

View Full Version : Whats up ppl! From VIC!

GU_Mudstar
15th March 2014, 01:58 AM
Hi guys, been in the modifying game the last 6 years, playing around with sports compact cars, most notable my car of the past 4 years, my turbo charged Civic coupe, with alot of goodies, coilovers, bigger brakes, cooler, etc etc... tracked it few times, But ive been wanting to change it up in recent times, as my old man just brought a Hilux 4x4 last year, an ever since we went camping/bush bashing ive had the itch to really get into the 4x4 camping, and off-roading, nothing outrageous, but enough to get the blood rushing hahaha, as much as i love going to track days with a car built for track days, i still love the feeling of 4x4 off-roading, best of both worlds IMO

Ive been looking at GU patrols as a first 4x4, at most i wanna spend is 12k max as im still studying at uni, so kinda on a shoe string budget..... Ive heard alot of information with regards to the engine grenading than there are alot of Patrols out there with the same engine still going strong, so something must be a mist here...

Ive also looked at the prevention methods, most notable cleaning the MAF and the EGR mod, if anyone can care to shed some more light on this, there more than welcome to :)

Originally i wanted a Landcruiser 105 live axle series, but they are way over priced compare to the patrols and most of em are either poorly looked after or just simply too many kms, and for the moneys worth, IMO the patrol ticks the boxes with me, not just the power, but as an overall car.....

Planning on getting one in a months time, but i still need 100 percent assurance with buying one haha, so im still critically researching into these GU patrols, service and the engine troubles and prevention mods.

Cheers guys, hoping to hear, talking and seeing patrol owners soon when i get mine :D

krbrooking
15th March 2014, 02:48 AM
Welcome aboard mate, heaps if info and great bunch of ppl.
you won't look back at buying a troll Over a cruizer. Also worth looking at getting nads if you get the 3l as extra insurance, there is heaps of info on hear on that. Be wary of what you are getting for the price you want might be worth looking at the gq's as you will be able to get the 4.2td for a better price. Good luck in your searching and feel free to ask any questions or use the search function.

growler2058
15th March 2014, 05:21 AM
G'day mate welcome aboard

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app

AB
15th March 2014, 05:42 AM
Welcome to the forum mate, feel free to ask any questions.

threedogs
15th March 2014, 06:27 AM
Hi mate and welcome to the forum , for $12K you could pick up an awesome 4.2 TD GQ . the 4.2 diesel is practically unbreakable.
Or for $12K you could get an early GU Ti petrol, plenty of power and thirsty if pushed hard. Ask any questions you want
I'm sure you'll get an answer. so jump in anytime and enjoy

BigRAWesty
15th March 2014, 07:58 AM
Welcome mate. Yea heaps of info here for you.
Your spot though about the grenades though. You only here from the disappointed people hay.

12k is tight for a gu I must admit. You are buying into the risky end of the era.
I'd open you sights to late model td42 gq's also. They are lighter, exactly. The same running gear, but gu's do have slightly wider tracks (25mm) and bigger cv's.

But you'd get a nice gq td42 and change..

Anyway heaps of info. Jump in and enjoy

MudRunnerTD
15th March 2014, 08:48 AM
Hi mate and welcome. I agree with chasing a GQ TD42 for your money. If your committed to the GU though and from your post I assume you only want a diesel??? Then at that range I'd be buying the last of the 2.8l 6 cylender over the early ZD30 4 cylender for which you simply SHOULD NOT BUY. IMO.

Enjoy the forum. Start a new thread with questions mate the intro can get lost bud.

MEGOMONSTER
15th March 2014, 09:41 AM
Welcome mate, surely the best forum on the net. If you need it, you can get it, if you want to know it, just ask it.
If you want to find it, go to the search bar for a universe of information.
Enjoy the sights and sounds of the greatest show on earth.

Family4x4
15th March 2014, 09:54 AM
GQ all the way.

Drewboyaus
15th March 2014, 10:00 AM
G'day mate, welcome to the forum. Like the others have said for that money I'd be hunting out a good TD42 (turbo) GQ instead of a GU. You'd also get a mint TB42 (petrol) for half that and they go very well, just a bit thirsty. The 2.8 turbo diesel GU's go alright with a bit of work (and can sound great)......that motor can be susceptible to doing heads I think but looked after would be ok.
Just remember GQ's are sooo much tougher than the GUrly model! LOL

Bloodyaussie
15th March 2014, 10:04 AM
Welcome aboard mate...............

Stropp
15th March 2014, 11:33 AM
welcome to the forum mate, yes stick with the the gq 4.2, its old and passed its prime but tough as nails and you can get them back to great condition like some of the guys here.

GU_Mudstar
15th March 2014, 12:38 PM
cheers for the warm welcome, can already tell this is a pretty neat community and forum :)

Only reason i wanna go GU, is cause its slightly newer and i much prefer the body style, but GQ is never out of the question hahaha

Dhuck
15th March 2014, 06:30 PM
Welcome to the forum mate