PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade of 2004/GU intercooler

Spanner1969
14th March 2014, 11:39 AM
Hi all,

I am looking for some information of upgrading my factory intercooler,
Has anyone done this upgrade, what were the results, why did you choose this type of intercooler, approx price?
any help is appreciated
spanner

Hodge
14th March 2014, 11:43 AM
G'day spanner. Welcome to the forum.
What engine do you have?
I've just upgraded my factory one on a 3L CRD, with a diesel smart tig welded unit for $450 on exchange basis with very noticeable results.

threedogs
14th March 2014, 12:57 PM
Hi spanner and welcome to the forum, , jump over to the intros and tell us a bit about yourself and Patrol
just something the forum asks of us all.
I too have a DS tig welded IC and larger Scoop and very happy ,mine is a Di

Factor in $500 for a scoop don't pay any more and I don't think a fan is worth fitting but that's just me
Give DS a PM they are a sponsor here
more constant boost and lower EGTs were the results

Spanner1969
14th March 2014, 02:00 PM
Thanks Threedogs, will do the intro asap, and will look into the DS tig intercooler
Hodge my GU is a ZD30 motor 2004 model, i will have a look at the diesel smart option
cheers
Paul

threedogs
14th March 2014, 02:08 PM
Diesel Smart also do a bigger Monster IC not sure if its Di or Cr option.
If your IC is oily chances are its leaking, fully tigged is the answer

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/181293620143?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

BillsGU
14th March 2014, 02:11 PM
I have gone for an ASE intercooler and am regretting it. I now have it working fine but I have had a lot of problems getting it to fit. If I had to do it again I would go for a replacement upgraded welded core onto the original tanks. If you are doing any slow offroad driving (which I imagine most of us do) I would recommend a fan. The scoop does not work at low off road speeds and makes your IC useless. Also, I have noticed my engine bay is a lot cooler when the fan is on - that can only be a good thing.

HV2002
14th March 2014, 04:05 PM
H Spanner welcome
I just did my intercooler on a 2002 3L di...with a Diesel Smart Monster IC. Picked it up of eBay $850 bargen ... DS were running a special i think.

I am extremely happy with my unit and the car performs totally different (more power smoother revs) here is a link to my install [/URL]ttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?26400-Dirty-MAF-sensor-and-intercooler-leak/page2

If you don’t get the under fan you should probably get the larger scoop like Threedogs the standard one don’t work to well

Heinz

HV2002
14th March 2014, 10:52 PM
Just found another Diesel Smart Monster IC on eBay at $900

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NISSAN-PATROL-ZD30-DI-INTERCOOLER-MONSTER-INTERCOOLER-KIT-/181350546538

MEGOMONSTER
15th March 2014, 10:03 AM
I really need to get my intercooler done, with these larger tyres, I'm really getting high temps on any freeway hill.

Do you match intercooler to turbo or is bigger biggest better.

threedogs
15th March 2014, 10:25 AM
The idea is feed the engine the coldest air you can achieve.
At the Cruiserkhana next week on a few events Im thinking
of putting C02 pellets on the IC for some short term performance gains

As for gains per $$$ I'm not convinced say the CC IC at over $1300
is better than a OE tigged one at say $500, are you getting two and a half times the benefit
that's what I'm trying to say, I don't think so, but that's just me.
I run 305 and my temps are fine with a OE tigged IC, well a little bigger than STD
Even with $$$$ I'm not sure I'd buy the bigger IC , I think that could be $$$ spent else where
to encourage efficiency.

HV2002
15th March 2014, 09:34 PM
I agree TD i am happy and wouldn't go bigger than the Diesel Smart Monster only if you can get it at a good price (see link above) even $800 TO $900 is high but the $1300 CC is way to much