PDA

View Full Version : Do I need to replace this immediately?

dom14
13th March 2014, 01:02 AM
Hi Guys,
This is the front right shocker's, bottom end bushes.

I'm just wondering whether I need to replace this straightaway.

Thanks

Figjam
13th March 2014, 01:18 AM
Not immediately, it is still in one piece. Would change the rubber or replace shock before an extended trip though

dom14
13th March 2014, 03:29 AM
Not immediately, it is still in one piece. Would change the rubber or replace shock before an extended trip though

Cool!. Thanks mate, it can wait for few weeks then. Replacing the shocks as a kit may be cheaper, if the shocks are worn out, I'm guessing?! 'cos the new shocks come with bushes, won't they?

Thanks

BigRAWesty
13th March 2014, 05:43 AM
Some kits don't so be aware of that.
A good shock test is to really get the front of the car bouncing, then when you let go it should settle in 2 movements.. Ie up, down, settle..

If it doesn't then your shocks aren't performing 100%

MudRunnerTD
13th March 2014, 09:09 AM
A couple of shock rubbers will be cheap as chips mate, when that flogs out it will be quick and noisy but probably not dangerous. For the sake of a few dollars I would replace those rubbers with some generic ones to see you through. Even some second hand ones off old shocks being thrown away at your local suspension spot will be better than those. Ad probably free.

patrol7
13th March 2014, 11:53 AM
Just because your rubber Bush's are warn out doesnt mean the shocks are stuff also. Rubber is meant to take the warn not the shock. New Rubber bush's and she will be fine. I would only get a new lift kit to if your extending your spring an shock height bto make for a bigger rig.

mudnut
13th March 2014, 02:08 PM
No shops had the right bushes for my shocks, so I got some others and cut them down to fit. The vehicle immediately rode better and it only cost $15 all up.

threedogs
13th March 2014, 02:14 PM
I would be doing all 4 as the other three would be in the same shape I would think,
one of the cheaper fixes IMo

dom14
13th March 2014, 04:28 PM
I would be doing all 4 as the other three would be in the same shape I would think,
one of the cheaper fixes IMo

Yeah, mate. Others aren't any better looking than the one in the picture. If I change, it will be all of them at once.

dom14
13th March 2014, 04:31 PM
A couple of shock rubbers will be cheap as chips mate, when that flogs out it will be quick and noisy but probably not dangerous. For the sake of a few dollars I would replace those rubbers with some generic ones to see you through. Even some second hand ones off old shocks being thrown away at your local suspension spot will be better than those. Ad probably free.

Cool. Thanks for the tip mate. I was gonna order them at around $30 a pair. That's why I was thinking replacing the shocks, 'cos bushes alone would've cost me over $100.

threedogs
13th March 2014, 05:23 PM
there is a thread recently on what to look at as a maintenance item
Another thing would be looking for cracks on the white plastic fan.
It appears they become brittle and perish, not good during water crossing as a member found out