PDA

View Full Version : Cactus tb42

Parksy
11th March 2014, 06:33 PM
Hi all

I believe I've done either a head or head gasket on the patrol. The oil is milky and the catch can is full of water. My question is, is the engine fubar or will a head replacement and oil change suffice and I'm on my way again?

Thanks all for your immediate replies...

Andy

happygu
11th March 2014, 06:42 PM
Parksy,

I wouldnt say cactus ...... I would say head gasket ....

Unless you have really mistreated it, which by the looks of your truck and the quality of your work on it, you havent, I have never heard of a block problem such as a cracked bore or damaged cylinder liners, so I think you would be good to go

Mic

Bloodyaussie
11th March 2014, 06:46 PM
I have no answers Parksy but I feel for you and hope you sort it!!

mudnut
11th March 2014, 06:48 PM
If you haven't had the dreaded hydraulic lock, the block, rods and pistons should be okay. But getting the block and everything checked while the head is off would be advisable.

Bloodyaussie
11th March 2014, 07:03 PM
Parksy will you do it yourself or outsource..??

The head work will cost about $600-$800 and a vrs gasket set is about $200 then there is oils filters and so on.

New head bolts are about $75... ummm what else???

Parksy
11th March 2014, 07:04 PM
Thanks all for your responses. Last thing I needed right now but hopefully I can sort it out ASAP. Went without warning too, didn't overheat or anything, which is the worst part.

Parksy
11th March 2014, 07:12 PM
Parksy will you do it yourself or outsource..??

The head work will cost about $600-$800 and a vrs gasket set is about $200 then there is oils filters and so on.

New head bolts are about $75... ummm what else???

I'll do it myself. Looking at the head kits on eBay at the moment... About 1000 for a head kit with bolts and gaskets. Not too bad...

billyj
12th March 2014, 09:18 PM
new bolts, genuine head gasket, i would be wary of ebay heads, go to your local head shop, they will either do your head in a day or 2 or may even have a changeover head avalible

Parksy
13th March 2014, 06:58 AM
Cheers billyj, but I ended up going the eBay head. I haven't been able to find a definite answer as to what the best option there is, apart from actually going to nissan and asking for a brand new head(which I'll more than likely die from the price). Seems repaired heads fail regularly, so I just went with the new head. I'll be giving it a proper inspection and I'll remove all stress raisers if I find any, maybe even smooth out all the intake ports.
Anyone got any pics of cracked heads? I haven't removed mine yet.

BigRAWesty
13th March 2014, 07:14 AM
As many may know doing the head in the body is a pita.. These no.6 bolts are a rite pain..

Bloodyaussie
13th March 2014, 08:22 AM
The only thing that would worry me about those heads on ebay is if they have had the welsh plugs in the head welded up?? thats where they crack.

My head had a big crack in the rear plug and when welded and tested the next one along cracked so the guy welded the lot...

The tightening torques are very important and should be done as per the VRS gasket instructions.

Parksy
15th March 2014, 02:56 PM
Thanks BA! As soon as the head arrives that's the first thing I'm checking!!
Anyway for those interested I've posted some updates in my build thread http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?19477-Parksy-s-gq&p=489485&posted=1#post489485
Everyone is welcome to tell me what they think...