PDA

View Full Version : Diesel Smart intercooler install and feedback (with pics)

Hodge
11th March 2014, 09:42 AM
Well yesterday I finally replaced the leaking factory unit with a Diesel Smart exchange unit. I also installed a catch can in the process and cleaned the MAF so the complete air intake gets a breath of fresh air. Thought I'd share some pics and initial feedback.

I've driven the car for 2 hours after full install, and it's showing improvement straight away. EGT's are down 50-100C around town, and it was a warm day yesterday too. The biggest improvement that I've see is how quick the temps go down when idling. For instance sitting at the lights after a drive, the temps go down much much quicker in contrast to factory IC. Also I'm a turbo cooldown believer, so I do wait for it to drop below 200 before shutting the car down. And now I don't have to wait for long at all, where as before it used to be 2-3 minutes. I'm yet to push the car and see how the EGT's behave then, which I'll contribute here later on.

My old unit was leaking a tiny bit in one corner so this was enough to lean me towards a replacement unit, otherwise I wouldn't have bothered. I was shocked at how much oil came out of the old unit. It caught me by surprise and as I took it out of the engine bay, oil spilled everywhere. Can of degreaser got a workout after this.

New unit cost $450 on exchange basis, was delivered quick and packaged well. If your old unit is leaking, you'd be mad to replace it with another factory unit. I believe this was $450, well spent.

As mentioned I've also installed a provent catch can. Not much to it. And after 2 hours or so driving I figured I'll check if anything's been filtered and the inside walls have a minor coat of out mist. Then I cracked open the exiting hose and intercooler and it was perfectly dry. So thus far it's doing it's job. Annoying part was fitting it physically as I have the battery tray and compressor right there and with the ABS unit and oil lines in the way it's tough squeezing it in. For the moment it's sitting in there zippy tied until I make a proper bracket. Provent with all hoses and clamps was less than $200.

So with these 2 additions to my "NADS" collection, coupled with the dawes and needle valves fine tuned and a clean MAF the car is running like a dream now. I like to think that this has added a few years to the cars longevity.

The old...
The comparo...
The install...
Final product...

Fry
11th March 2014, 10:34 AM
Looking to do the same thing, the only other thing I would like to do is get a bigger scoop.

Hodge
11th March 2014, 10:37 AM
Looking to do the same thing, the only other thing I would like to do is get a bigger scoop.

That's my next thing on the cards, to push a bit more air through it. I know of ARE ones, but not sure if other brands or makers exist. Will have to do some searching.

Fry
11th March 2014, 10:47 AM
That's my next thing on the cards, to push a bit more air through it. I know of ARE ones, but not sure if other brands or makers exist. Will have to do some searching.

Yeah I was looking at the stealth ones they do, i'm adding up the cost of it all tho and i'm not sure how i'm going to get approval....

threedogs
11th March 2014, 12:45 PM
Stropp has a Fairlane branded one drop him a PM for details
Mine is A.R.E. I think

Stropp
11th March 2014, 02:18 PM
i think with the standard size cooler a barneys mk2 scoop will be the go, fits into the same hole but is taller and catches more air, come up sometimes in the for sale threads or ebay, i think they are available new from the other forum around $360 unpainted.

threedogs
11th March 2014, 02:27 PM
Thanks Stropp my style is more suited to Tig welded OE intercooler,
where as yours is more for the wider IC like the new Diesel Smart one or Cross Country

EDIT::: I have the tigged Intercooler from DS and very impressed

rottodiver
11th March 2014, 03:04 PM
I ordered my diesel smart ic last week... Hopefully when I get back to perth the end of the week it will be there..
Scotty

Hodge
11th March 2014, 07:11 PM
i think with the standard size cooler a barneys mk2 scoop will be the go, fits into the same hole but is taller and catches more air, come up sometimes in the for sale threads or ebay, i think they are available new from the other forum around $360 unpainted.

Thanks for that mate I will keep an eye on it. Apparently this Barney bloke is a member of the other patrol forum and can make them to order I believe. I wonder if he hangs around here too? I'd just need a taller one, as the hole size is retained to factory size.

boots
11th March 2014, 08:28 PM
A pic of the barneys MK2. http://i1249.photobucket.com/albums/hh502/GGPatrol/IMG-20131201-WA0010_zpsceb6b350.jpg

Hodge
11th March 2014, 08:32 PM
Thanks for that boots. Looks like it'll scoop up way more air than a standard one. Now just to find one.

Fry
11th March 2014, 08:36 PM
I need me one too

Stropp
12th March 2014, 11:22 AM
he does make them still but quite often you will find them for sale

threedogs
12th March 2014, 11:31 AM
@ Hodge try Guest 4WD centre in Fairfield, the one I have has had a bit of thought go into it ,
as the OE scoop allows air in and to the rear of the IC. The A.R.E scoop has alloy vanes that direct air to the front of the IC as well as the rear
So its not just a scoop it allow all of the IC to be used not just the rear, I have nothing to do with them just pointing out features

mudski
12th March 2014, 07:31 PM
Guest's is where I got my ARE scoop from. Was $500 from memory. Was already painted in white too.

Hodge
12th March 2014, 07:50 PM
Thanks Mark.
Scoop has dropped in priority now as the car today ran s***. Once I reach 4th game over no more power and I haven't touched anything since yesterday when she ran like a dream. Seems to have the symptoms of fully wound out needle valve but mostly once I reach 4th. I looked over hoses and all seems OK. Very weird.

mudski
12th March 2014, 08:14 PM
What's the boost gauge say when this happens?

Hodge
12th March 2014, 08:26 PM
As far as I can tell it's normal. In first, second, and third is normal and I can't get it over 16 which is my Dawes preset. In 4th I'm not sure but just maybe seems to spool up slower ? But it gets there eventually and no power. Almost like there is boost but starved on fuel or something.

Hodge
12th March 2014, 08:28 PM
Sorry forgot to mention... In 4th egts go higher then usual.
4th feels like exactly if you wind needle out fully... Best way I can describe it.
First three gears seem OK.

mudski
12th March 2014, 08:32 PM
Well since you have installed a new ic lately I would be looking closely at the ic hoses and clamps first. If your leaking boost your EGT's will be higher than usual.

Hodge
12th March 2014, 08:39 PM
That was the first thing i looked at. Checked and double checked it. Will do it again tomorrow. Too frustrated to do anything more tonight.

Hodge
13th March 2014, 08:13 AM
Same thing this morning. It's as if needle valve has no effect in 4th gear. But works fine in other gears. This applies no matter how much or which way I turn the valve. Checked all hoses.
Very confused now.

mudski
13th March 2014, 10:10 AM
Is it limp mode or just running like a slug?

Hodge
13th March 2014, 11:10 AM
Just running like a slug I think. Takes ages to spool up in fourth. Don't think it's limp because stepping off and on the pedal makes no diff. I think. Going home now will suss it out more check over things again.

threedogs
13th March 2014, 11:14 AM
@ Hodge have you blocked the EGR , all this sounds weird,
so it was ok before you put the DS IC on, it only played up after you fitted the IC

Hodge
13th March 2014, 11:54 AM
Egr is blocked TD.
Ic was fitted , catch can installed on Monday. Ran perfectly Mon evening and Tuesday , just started playing up yesterday without me touching or changing anything.

threedogs
13th March 2014, 12:49 PM
Positive there is no way the Maf can get fouled up from oily fumes?

Hodge
13th March 2014, 01:21 PM
Pretty sure it can't checked and re checked it. Also gave it a nice clean up after installing everything the other day.

threedogs
13th March 2014, 01:39 PM
so exhaust is driving the turbo, leave the needle off some how and just set your boost to what ever you had, 16 psi
Could be a stuffed needle valve, Only do I thing at a time that way we'll know what it is

mudski
13th March 2014, 02:26 PM
Come around and grab a maf mate and try it. Just so you know to rule this out...

Hodge
13th March 2014, 03:57 PM
Thanks Mark. I cleaned the MAF again, and bumped into BA in the process at super cheap as I ran out of maf cleaner.
Pretty sure it's now sorted its self, I just re-tuned dawes and needled valves from scratch. Let's see if she holds now.
I had to pick up something right next to Mr nissan this arvo, and while I was waiting I thought I'd pop in and ask what they thought.
Guy I spoke to said it's got to be fuel related. Filter or even injector pump. Then as I was driving away from there it actually occured to me I did fill up yesterday afternoon after it started being a slug, and both tanks were nearly empty, so it may have picked up crap from bottom of the tanks. Maybe I'm just thinking too deep into this.
Anyways lets see how she goes now ...

mudski
13th March 2014, 07:51 PM
Deep thoughts are a pain aren't they....

Hodge
14th March 2014, 11:41 AM
She ran fine today so far, fingers crossed.
Now back onto the original topic. I'm definitely now noticing lower EGT's compared to the factory IC. At 100k, she now cruises oat 250-300l. That's almost 100 lower than prior temps. And I've not also left the plastic cover off. If it keeps this up I'd be happy.

threedogs
14th March 2014, 01:01 PM
@ hodge so you left the engine cover off ?

mudski
14th March 2014, 06:04 PM
I did with mine. Was the first "mod" I did to my truck when I got it. Hehe.

Hodge
14th March 2014, 06:19 PM
@ hodge so you left the engine cover off ?

I did yes. I left it off by forgetting to put it back on after test drive. Then I figured what the hell, leave it off.

Newtz
17th June 2014, 10:16 PM
Gday - wondering where you purchased from to get $450? On ebay they're going for 590

Mine is leaking quite a bit of oil - time for a replacement!

Hodge
18th June 2014, 09:31 AM
Mine was 450 on exchange basis. So I paid 600 then got the 150 refunded once they recieved my leaking one on their end.
Just ring them up.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Forum Runner

Robo
19th June 2014, 03:17 PM
Even though you fitted a provent it may pay to keep an eye out for oil in IC.
As you noted large oil mess from old IC,
If ya find oil again, It's also a typical sign of a worn turbo.

Lets hope not, and your done and dusted.
just a preventative inspection.
cheers

omy
19th June 2014, 08:18 PM
Has anyone ever recorded the air temp before ans after?

Drew
20th June 2014, 10:20 AM
Even though you fitted a provent it may pay to keep an eye out for oil in IC.
As you noted large oil mess from old IC,
If ya find oil again, It's also a typical sign of a worn turbo.

Lets hope not, and your done and dusted.
just a preventative inspection.
cheers

I installed a provent before the new intercooler was installed and I've noticed a light film of oil in the IC since so I guess it's either leftovers or a very very small amount still gets through.

Robo
20th June 2014, 03:34 PM
I installed a provent before the new intercooler was installed and I've noticed a light film of oil in the IC since so I guess it's either leftovers or a very very small amount still gets through.

Just something to keep in mind
turbos will leak oil into air intake path if its seals are worn.
keep an eye on it that's all.
provent cant stop oil coming via turbo..

good luck with it bro.
(have fitted a provent myself works well).

Drew
20th June 2014, 05:31 PM
Just something to keep in mind
turbos will leak oil into air intake path if its seals are worn.
keep an eye on it that's all.
provent cant stop oil coming via turbo..

good luck with it bro.
(have fitted a provent myself works well).
Yeah it's in the pre turbo pipe as well but will do

Hodge
20th June 2014, 06:05 PM
My provent went in, together with the new intercooler and it still got mist on the inside. Not as much as before, though but oil is still present.
I have long had a suspicion my turbo is not quiet right due to this mechanical, wind up noise, which is in sync with the spool up sound. I hope i'm wrong.