PDA

View Full Version : How to tell what motor I have

Xtreme
9th March 2014, 08:23 PM
Hi Guys, I have recently purchased a 2000 GU 3.0L Patrol, Automatic, 245k on the clock. The motor is immaculate, I mean there is not a spot of grime in any of the little recesses where it normally builds up, every hose looks new my very first impression was that this is a new motor. I took it to get a chip put in it and after many weeks of delays I was finally told that some part on the motor ( I think it was the throttle body or something located on the left side under the intercooler cover) was in fact not right for a 2000 model motor, it was the same as a 2004 one that was also sitting in the workshop. The mechanic then said that they did alot of recalls or imports and fitted various bits and peices to the motors. Long story short I was told they could not do a chip for it (at the 12th hour a few days before I leave on my trip!).

Is there any quick ways to tell what series or year model a motor is? Where is the engine block number located? I also asked the mechanic that but he said there was no way I would be able to get to it to see it.

The mechanic also took some photos up under the driver side dash to send to nissan which was where he got the answer that it was something different then it should have been.

Any info appreciated.

mudski
9th March 2014, 10:31 PM
Lol. Grab a wet fish and slap this so called mechanic with it and then leave and find someone who knows what they are saying. Reminds me of a mechanic who told me that the needle valve does absolutely nothing. As far as I know all the 3ltr direct injection chips are the same up to late 2004. Then different from there as the maf is different so that would change something I think. As for the engine number, can't remember but it's clearly visible. It has to be, it's the law. From memory it can be seen on the front left side of the block facing upwards.

Drewboyaus
9th March 2014, 10:41 PM
^^^^^what he said but.....and I'm no expert on the ZD30.....given the problems with the early 3.0L motors it could easily be a replacement motor. From Nissan or somewhere else. Go find a better mechanic who can help.
Or find that engine number and post it here. Someone will tell you what motor it is and what series it is from.

kevin07
9th March 2014, 11:31 PM
I would think the engine number would be on the rego papers

rottodiver
10th March 2014, 12:10 AM
Here it is

Scotty

mudski
10th March 2014, 12:19 AM
Thanks Scott. I thought it was on the left somewhere...

macca86
10th March 2014, 12:24 AM
I'm under the belief if it's a di zd30 all the same only changed really for the common rail. I think after 03 they shortened the dip stick and upped the oil capacity but shouldn't worry what chip goes into it.

the evil twin
10th March 2014, 12:28 AM
I would think the engine number would be on the rego papers

Hiya Kev

Well, I must admit that's the first place I would look also, Cobber.

and for the OP... the mechanic is a knob. Hide your wallet and walk briskly in the opposite direction

threedogs
10th March 2014, 11:17 AM
I'd think the only difference between yours and a latter ZD30
would be a vacuum canister under the engine cover. Which you can
by pass when fitting your NADS

What is the history from previous owner?
You'd think a new motor would be a good selling point

Xtreme
13th March 2014, 07:24 AM
Thanks for the replies, I rang nissan and after looking up the location in the manual (should have done that first) it was very easy to find on the top right hand side of the block, nissan confirmed it was the original motor (245k's) I have no idea what the mechanic was on about I ordered a roo systems chip to suit so I will see how that goes in today, the 3 inch exhaust is on and that helps a bit already but not so much when I am towing hopefully the chip makes a bit more noticeable difference

mudski
13th March 2014, 08:47 AM
I would strongly advise you mate to put in a boost and exhaust gauge if your towing. You wanna know what your engine is doing, and having both these gauges in will tell you a lot about your motor and how its coping. Especially for towing. When I to my camper, in the hilly areas I drive by the EGT's, if they are too high, I slow down, no matter how easy the car is doing a hill. Which is rare. lol.

the evil twin
13th March 2014, 01:16 PM
Couldn't agree more with Mudski...

If you are chipped and have exhaust mods then the EGT will def be up there when towing and taking advantage of the extra performance.

I would also strongly recommend an EGR block if it wasn't illegal (wink, wink)

Xtreme
18th March 2014, 10:39 PM
Yeah I have both those gauges in and the EGR, and Dawes valve, I always drive by the motor I am never in too much of a hurry I let it sit where it wants to