PDA

View Full Version : Bury my mum at Billy goats

Bloodyaussie
9th March 2014, 04:45 PM
So next month I think I want to head up Billy Goats track and bury my mums ashes near the top??

Never been there and want to know from here in Thomastown which is the best way to head and is an overnighter viable with the whole family..

Want to go with about 2 or 3 other cars for company and fun!!!

Drewboy said he was keen but he was drunk at the time...

I figure taking my mum there will give me a place I can come in future years.

Any advice??

mudski
9th March 2014, 05:14 PM
Don't know where it is but I'd like to come if it's ok and providing I'm not working...

krbrooking
9th March 2014, 05:16 PM
I would love to be able to come along man but we have planned to do the grass out the back so that is where our money will be going to. I hope you find the perfect spot man, I know you will.

Bloodyaussie
9th March 2014, 05:23 PM
Just been talking to Mags and the 25th is Anzac day week end one week after Easter is looking like the go.

It is also Mags and mine 19 year anniversary... funny!!

Mudski can you do this?? I know you said you had some family crap on.

AB
9th March 2014, 05:27 PM
Pending our situation mate I'd be keen to come along but not sure on the status if a new born just yet.

mudski
9th March 2014, 05:36 PM
Just been talking to Mags and the 25th is Anzac day week end one week after Easter is looking like the go.

It is also Mags and mine 19 year anniversary... funny!!

Mudski can you do this?? I know you said you had some family crap on.

The family crap is on that Saturday too in the arvo. The 26th. Maybe I could meet you guys somewhere on Saturday night?

Drewboyaus
9th March 2014, 05:48 PM
The 25th will be a very busy weekend up Dargo way. But I know a good spot to camp up the river from Dargo that shouldn't be too busy.
I am keen. Depending if it's a family weekend for me or a solo/Elizabeth only one, I might have to hire one of those camper trailers........
Hmmm.

Bloodyaussie
9th March 2014, 05:53 PM
The 25th will be a very busy weekend up Dargo way. But I know a good spot to camp up the river from Dargo that shouldn't be too busy.
I am keen. Depending if it's a family weekend for me or a solo/Elizabeth only one, I might have to hire one of those camper trailers........
Hmmm.

That would be great... is this a on or two night trip?? also where do we come in from??

Thinking about a camper myself... not 100% yet!!!

Hodge
9th March 2014, 06:05 PM
That would be great... is this a on or two night trip?? also where do we come in from??

Thinking about a camper myself... not 100% yet!!!

It's a 4-5 hour steady drive Johno. Through warragul, moe and then head north into the hills at some stage. Unsure if you hit Bairnsdale or not. It's been a while since I went that way.

Edit. Also forgot to mention, everything up there is now graded so, it's no or little challenge at all.

Drewboyaus
9th March 2014, 06:16 PM
Unsure if you hit Bairnsdale or not. It's been a while since I went that way.

Nah, you turn off before Bairnsdale.
Hodge is right though, it's about 4 and a half hours to get there.
I might get my ch!t together and wire up a brake controller. If we get the spot I'm thinking of, there's quite a good swimming hole right there. There will be people extending their Easter for that weekend too so it will be busy as......

I don't think Billy Goats Bluff has been graded yet......I know Blue Rag Range was last year but it's still a beautiful drive.
I think Winnie was heading up that way this weekend so we can get a current track report.

Bloodyaussie
9th March 2014, 06:29 PM
So you guys are saying a 2 nighter for sure then??

Need to work out the finer details as I must get approval from a higher power!!

Need to make up a headstone or something before then??

Drewboyaus
9th March 2014, 06:43 PM
So you guys are saying a 2 nighter for sure then??

Need to work out the finer details as I must get approval from a higher power!!

Definitely a 2 nighter I imagine. Plan to have a dinner at the Dargo hotel one night too......maybe to celebrate your mum.

@GUte
9th March 2014, 08:36 PM
Bloodyaussie, if you don't mind me making a suggestion, the 'razorback' near the top would be the perfect spot for your mum.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj227/mygute/DSCF3111.jpg (http://s273.photobucket.com/user/mygute/media/DSCF3111.jpg.html)

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj227/mygute/DSCF3117.jpg (http://s273.photobucket.com/user/mygute/media/DSCF3117.jpg.html)

BigRAWesty
9th March 2014, 09:04 PM
Bloody awesome thought mate.
Those pics above look stunning..

Drewboyaus
9th March 2014, 09:08 PM

Why don't you PM Chester?
I think it's he who helps his dad look after the cemetery around Aberfeldie. He might have some ideas about some sort of plaque/memorial that would be appropriate for your mum in that type of bush location.

@chester

fourj
9th March 2014, 10:46 PM
Could camp at Kingswell bridge, start of Billy goats is only 15-20 minutes from there if I remember correct (been a while since I've gone that way). The razor backs got great views although not really any where to pull off track to organise plaque or headstone I think. Good views from the helipad, gives you somewhere to stop, could mount headstone where track continues. Or do it at the very top , reasonable area to stop and visit at later times.

james008
10th March 2014, 01:43 AM
Billy Goat's has some very nice scenery, it would certainly be a nice spot for a burial.
It has been a few years since I've been to Billy Goat's (before I was driving) but from memory it was not a particularly difficult track, but that gives you plenty of opportunity to take in the landscape.

Bloodyaussie
10th March 2014, 06:47 AM
Could camp at Kingswell bridge, start of Billy goats is only 15-20 minutes from there if I remember correct (been a while since I've gone that way). The razor backs got great views although not really any where to pull off track to organise plaque or headstone I think. Good views from the helipad, gives you somewhere to stop, could mount headstone where track continues. Or do it at the very top , reasonable area to stop and visit at later times.

I like the idea of that.... I love the pics Gute posted but for the sake of taking my time doing this and being able to go with the kids plus easier in the future to visit.

Not sure on head stone now....

threedogs
10th March 2014, 07:15 AM
Unless you have a very secluded spot be aware of aa holes that would pinch a head stone at the blink of an eye
Not all ppl are respectful of others, Don't know what the answer is

Hodge
10th March 2014, 09:19 AM
Very good point TD. That area isn't immune to the wan**r variety and will destroy anything they come across.

threedogs
10th March 2014, 10:02 AM
I would suggest scattering the ashes where the wind will take her on the final journey.
you can then go to the top of the hill and see what mums sees. M2cw

@GUte
10th March 2014, 02:00 PM
The razor backs got great views although not really any where to pull off track to organise plaque or headstone I think.

You can pull off the track as I had to to allow vehicles coming the other way.

To the right at 20 seconds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzLM2nly8_Q

The beauty of this is it isn't somewhere that most people would choose to pull over. If you place over the edge a little you could have it out of view to those not knowing. Not a headstone but a plaque immersed in concrete that reduces the chance of vandalism. The plaque can be a dedication/momentum to your Mother while you could scatter her ashes.

AB
10th March 2014, 02:33 PM
So did that bloke look like chopper?...lol

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app

Winnie
10th March 2014, 02:39 PM
Easy done overnight... I just did that track on Saturday. It was awesome.

Drewboyaus
10th March 2014, 03:20 PM
Easy done overnight... I just did that track on Saturday. It was awesome.

Did you drive up to the Pinnacles or down from?
How graded were the tracks? Not that it really matters too much as that part if the high country is about the views as much as the tracks......

@GUte
10th March 2014, 03:26 PM
So did that bloke look like chopper?...lol

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app

Awe dunno AB I went in for about 30 sec's!

How graded were the tracks?

The track hasn't been graded for some time, unless they were graded since Nov? Although it isn't hard, you do have to pick lines at times. Still a fantastic track.

Winnie
10th March 2014, 03:31 PM
Came down from the pinnacles. The track was worse than when I did it about 10 months ago. Still a walk in the park though. Bloody great track. The views are spectacular, I want to organise a forum trip next year the same as I did this weekend. Brillianttrip.

happygu
10th March 2014, 04:47 PM
Track was quite dry and very Rocky at Christmas this year, and the smooth track of a few years ago is gone.

Fantastic drive though, and when we got to the top, the kids wanted to do it again.

We went in from the bottom at Kingswell Bridge and drove up, which I think is better than driving down, and I have done both in both 4wd and motorbikes.

You could organize a return camp spot at Horseyard Flat, after climbing Billy Goats, going to the Pinnacles, and spending some time for your Mum's ashes.

Mic

Drewboyaus
10th March 2014, 05:30 PM
Mic,
Is South Bassalt Knob Tk into Talbotville still open? I have heard a few say it has been closed but yet to find someone who has actually been there recently to verify.
We were up there last time about 18 months ago and it was driven but heard it has been bulldozed closed.

happygu
10th March 2014, 05:52 PM
Drew,

We didn't go that way, as we came in from Wonnangatta ..... so I cant help you with Sth Bassalt Knob Track ...

Mic

Winnie
10th March 2014, 05:56 PM
Mic,
Is South Bassalt Knob Tk into Talbotville still open? I have heard a few say it has been closed but yet to find someone who has actually been there recently to verify.
We were up there last time about 18 months ago and it was driven but heard it has been bulldozed closed.

Its open.....

Drewboyaus
10th March 2014, 06:22 PM
Its open.....

Cool. Thanks. Will have to go and do that one when we go up there. That's a fun drive.

Bloodyaussie
11th March 2014, 08:03 PM
I am looking forward to this as this weekend gone was the last work I had to do at her house so do not have to go back and am just dealing with phone and electricity and so on getting all accounts stopped..

The trip will be full closure and also some relief...

I am not scattering her ashes I am burying them in a hole I will dig.... I will not do it next to the track but go for a short walk into the bush and bury her.

Will it be a base camp?? I dont think I want to tow a camper up Billy Goats??

Drewboyaus
11th March 2014, 08:36 PM
I am looking forward to this as this weekend gone was the last work I had to do at her house so do not have to go back and am just dealing with phone and electricity and so on getting all accounts stopped..

The trip will be full closure and also some relief...

I am not scattering her ashes I am burying them in a hole I will dig.... I will not do it next to the track but go for a short walk into the bush and bury her.

Will it be a base camp?? I dont think I want to tow a camper up Billy Goats??

Nah mate. Base camp.

Winnie
11th March 2014, 09:02 PM
You would not want to tow a camper up billy goats... You could do it no worries but could get into a bit of strife trying to pass other cars etc...