PDA

View Full Version : Limp mode. HELP

Covo71
9th March 2014, 03:10 PM
Hi guys, I need some help. Troll is going into limp mode. Fitted Dawes and needle valve and boost gauge 2 weeks ago. Running sweet. Went through a couple of tracks today bit of water. Nothing to deep. On the tracks for a about an hour and when I went back out to road went to limp mode. Boost was only at about 5 when it went into limp. Cleaned out mad sensor a few days ago. Did notice that the wires going in to the maf sensor is a sort of plastic elbow joint that is snapped. Could the water getting in send in to limp? I carry the maf cleaner with me. Can anything else send it in to limp? Max boost is set at 16/17.

Hodge
9th March 2014, 03:13 PM
You said the elbow joint at the maf connector is snapped. Could the wire also be damaged / cut ?

Covo71
9th March 2014, 03:19 PM
They look ok. Pulled on them slightly they all seem connected. Would the water getting in be throwing it out?

Hodge
9th March 2014, 03:39 PM
They look ok. Pulled on them slightly they all seem connected. Would the water getting in be throwing it out?

Potentially. Also if water got that high, it may have also gone into other electrical spots. Did you stay that deep for long in any of the spots ?

rottodiver
9th March 2014, 03:53 PM
I am no expert but when my troll went into limp mode because of over boost it have me an error code! So I would suggest it is nothing to do with the boost.....
Scotty

rottodiver
9th March 2014, 03:56 PM
Is it possible your boost pressure is too low... Maybe the Dawes or needle valve adjusted itself..
There are 12 possible situations in workshop manual for "engine lacks power" in troubleshooting section
Scotty

threedogs
9th March 2014, 04:00 PM
re set the dawes and dis connect your battery for a while as well, cant see how water is the culprit
will find out soon enough
13 if you include broken right ankle lol

Covo71
9th March 2014, 04:06 PM
Not in deep water for long but could have got up there. Is there anything that I may be able to seal better? Boost if anything I thought was spooling up ok and maybe a bit quick if anything. Sitting between 10 and 15 doing 100km in 5th. The reason I thought it might be the maf is I tried to go 3 times up a slight hill on the road and it kept dying in the ass. I took the maf out and gave it a spray with cleaner and it came good. drove for about 10 mins and it happened once more. Didn't happen again for the half hour drive home( maybe dried out?). I am in Bathurst and need the car at the end of the week (booked Holiday with others, need fourby)so need to fix asap. I will try anything.

Covo71
9th March 2014, 04:11 PM
Hi Threedogs, I have got the Dawes boosting to 16 to 17 which I think is spot on(what I have read). Can the Dawes control low boost? I thought the needle valve controlled it to how quick it kicked in. What does disconnecting the battery do? So I know what to look for if anything to spot. Cheers

Covo71
9th March 2014, 04:23 PM
had a look on the manual and gives me a wiring diagram. Might swell be in Spanish because I don't really understand any of it.

rottodiver
9th March 2014, 04:23 PM
I would disconnect Dawes and needle.. Takes 1 minute to change it all back( no need to take it out just put it back to original... You will know instantly if the problems lie there.....

Scotty

Covo71
9th March 2014, 04:56 PM
I have taken it for a drive trying to make it go in to limp. Going slow, hard normal uphill, downhill. moving starts to hill starts. Can't get it to stop which normally would be great but these things do not fix themselves. I have looked at disconnecting everything but don't have the right pipes to go to right places. After I put in the plate before I put in the dawes and needle valves it was going in to limp straight away.

mudski
9th March 2014, 05:13 PM
Not in deep water for long but could have got up there. Is there anything that I may be able to seal better? Boost if anything I thought was spooling up ok and maybe a bit quick if anything. Sitting between 10 and 15 doing 100km in 5th. The reason I thought it might be the maf is I tried to go 3 times up a slight hill on the road and it kept dying in the ass. I took the maf out and gave it a spray with cleaner and it came good. drove for about 10 mins and it happened once more. Didn't happen again for the half hour drive home( maybe dried out?). I am in Bathurst and need the car at the end of the week (booked Holiday with others, need fourby)so need to fix asap. I will try anything.

Is there any water in the air box and on the air filter?

Covo71
9th March 2014, 05:30 PM
Hi Mudski,
Not wet at all in the air box or filter but it is due for a new one. I think I might re-do the wiring to the Maf with a new housing as it is snapped. It may be causing a short inside if I am lucky that it is that simple. It's a downer when this happens because the wifey hasn't been in it for while and we went up a couple of crazy tracks and even she said I can't believe we got through so easy. Love the truck just need some more reliability. Maybe something I have checked over has fixed it. Not usually that lucky.

mudski
9th March 2014, 05:42 PM
Fix that wiring first. It's a good possibility that is the root of your issues there.

threedogs
9th March 2014, 05:45 PM
what volts is the MAF showing ?
could be intermittent with the wires as suggested

Covo71
10th March 2014, 07:19 AM
Spewing, I think I have to go to Nissan to find the same thing for the wiring.

mudski
11th March 2014, 08:38 AM
Why do you need to go to Nissan? If you need a new wiring loom go to a wrecker. Its only four wires anyhow, not hard to solder...

Covo71
11th March 2014, 09:16 AM
Hi Mudski, just wanted to try new first so same problem happening is limited. Trying wreckers today as nissan said can't buy just the end wanted $700 for loom. Just for wires, they are just thieves. Any ideas if they changed connector? Might be able to get later model. I am in bathurst though so slim pickings.

threedogs
11th March 2014, 09:21 AM
later models use a different MAF,

mudski
11th March 2014, 07:59 PM
Hi Mudski, just wanted to try new first so same problem happening is limited. Trying wreckers today as nissan said can't buy just the end wanted $700 for loom. Just for wires, they are just thieves. Any ideas if they changed connector? Might be able to get later model. I am in bathurst though so slim pickings.

Hey mate all 3ltr up to 2004 have the same plug. But also Subaru Forrester GT 98 to 2000, Imprezza WRX STI models will have the same plug. AND. 1.6ltr Pulsars 2000 to 2003 and 1.8ltr Pulsars 2001 to 2004. So you have a bit more choice at the wreckers.

Covo71
12th March 2014, 07:24 AM
Nice! Thanks mate. I knew they must have used the same connection in something else. This is what makes this forum so good. It's like having an extra few thousand mated that know shite you can use. Cheers

mudski
12th March 2014, 10:02 PM
Too easy mate.

Covo71
30th March 2014, 12:03 PM
How / where do I check the voltage on the MAF. it has started going into limp every few days now.

Covo71
30th March 2014, 07:46 PM
Anyone? Have just read about this voltage limiter from Jaycar for the MAF. Is this a must? And a ECUTalk? I started saying to the Wifey this was cheap insurance rather than melted pistons. 3" exhaust, new intercooler to come. She wants to scalp me very soon.

mudski
30th March 2014, 09:13 PM
Check this link out and download "the bible".
http://www.queensland4x4club.org.au/zd30/ZD30%20Y61%20Reference%20Document%20-%20Colour.pdf