PDA

View Full Version : zd30 catalic converter

seekers282
9th March 2014, 12:31 PM
hello guys..i have a 2001 nissan patrol y61 zd30...ive got question about the cataylic converter..is it ok to remove it or not?will it effect the engine system,engine temp etc?

threedogs
9th March 2014, 01:06 PM
Its illegal to remove it, you can replace them with a sports or straight through hi flow Cat

seekers282
9th March 2014, 03:54 PM
what effect will it do to my engine if its remove?

threedogs
9th March 2014, 04:00 PM
nothing it will help it breathe better some here have gutted them and re welded

seekers282
9th March 2014, 04:12 PM
the egt temp will drop too right?

mudski
9th March 2014, 06:39 PM
I gutted my cat on the stock exhaust I had and to be honest it was a waste of time. I saw no difference at all in EGT's or performance. For the chance of being busted doing this and copping a big fine. Don't bother. Save your coin and get a real exhaust.

Avo
9th March 2014, 09:23 PM
So apart from being cheaper whats the point(if there is one)to buying a exhaust system without a CAT,been looking at exhaust atm for mrs posums car

seekers282
9th March 2014, 09:52 PM
Okay..since that your experience..we'll I'm gonna have to follow mate..I'm gonna look for hi flow cats I guess..

mudski
9th March 2014, 10:08 PM
So apart from being cheaper whats the point(if there is one)to buying a exhaust system without a CAT,been looking at exhaust atm for mrs posums car

You buy a zorst without a cat and you are supposed to have one there, it is big fines. Buy a system with a decent hi flow cat and you'll be right. Cats have this hype that they are crap and all they do is restrict flow way too much. Maybe when they were first introduced it was the case as many people would use the wrong fuel and this would block the cat and they would get this rotten egg smell. Not so much this case these days.

Rumcajs
12th March 2014, 06:07 PM
It is Diesel oxidation catalyst and it is there to keep emissions down. No effect on engine performance when it is removed as it is or can be restriction. As other pointed out it is against the law to interfere with emissions control tech in vehicles.
Cheers

Stone patrol
12th March 2014, 08:47 PM
So is blocking your egr isn't that interfering with your emissions

megatexture
12th March 2014, 09:43 PM
No diffrent to fitting a egr block so why not just ditch it lol . .. It'll still fail emission test, just a little more obvious lol

kevin07
13th March 2014, 02:05 AM
Okay..since that your experience..we'll I'm gonna have to follow mate..I'm gonna look for hi flow cats I guess..

so im guessing you have a stocker so start this way buy all your goodies and do it in one hit egr blocking plate bigger zorst boost and egt gauge performance module provent catch can dawes and needle valve bigger intercooler then you will have a bullet proof weapon to blast any yota off the park. when your ready to start buying put a post up as to where you get these items, as all the items can be purchased here from vendors.kev

Rock Trol
14th March 2014, 09:44 PM
I have removed the middle muffler from my system and replaced it with a hot dog. My car is a 2007 CRD and it really brings the turbo on earlier. Much nicer car to drive. Its not much louder either.
The middle muffler is very restrictive (and heavy) and is probably built like that to slow the flow of gas and let the cat do its thing (my theory anyway). It's a cheap way of improving the car and I did notice the car ran slightly cooler according to the scangauge (1-2 degree Celsius).

If you can afford a full exhaust maybe go for that.

seekers282
15th March 2014, 02:28 PM
i thought removing the cat would reduce egt..since it have no effect on egt..well..gonna put it back..or ill remove whats inside it and put it back on

mudski
15th March 2014, 10:39 PM
i thought removing the cat would reduce egt..since it have no effect on egt..well..gonna put it back..or ill remove whats inside it and put it back on

It may. A little but definitely not worth it. I paid only $900 for a 3 inch Red back system with hi flow cat and muffler. I ended up removing the muffler...

seekers282
16th March 2014, 12:18 AM
why did you removed it?

mudski
16th March 2014, 02:22 AM
why did you removed it?

More powarrrrrr! I tell it worked too. I was actually quite surprised. I was expecting nothing at all as my expectations were high when I got the chip, wrong, my expectations were high when I got the new zorst, wrong. So this time around I expected nothing but more of a tone to the sound, which I got plus more mid range power.

Robo
21st March 2014, 05:11 PM
Not exactly related--
Had a muffler hobble the TB42 some time back it was very notable.
And not I think it has less power it was so notable I'd estimate around 8% drop.
and that was including going up from 2 1/4 to 2 1/2

better muffler was the smaller lukey at 2 1/4.
forget the size for your application,
the point some install to suit their profit margin and install any old muffler.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK.
hope that helps some what.